UConn Smoke

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn smoke

Postby REDMEN1415 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Omaha1 wrote:The smoke you see is the AAC burning to the ground.

AAC is going to burn, so we're gonna save them????
They wanted to leave us, did they care about the B.E?
But we gotta bail them out????
That's only a win win for yukon, htf do they help us? By bringing along their drunk pos rowdy fans?

I think we're doing quite well without that scumbag pos school, they can burn in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neUAqXciHc
REDMEN1415

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:The smoke you see is the AAC burning to the ground.

AAC is going to burn, so we're gonna save them????
They wanted to leave us, did they care about the B.E?
But we gotta bail them out????
That's only a win win for yukon, htf do they help us? By bringing along their drunk pos rowdy fans?

I think we're doing quite well without that scumbag pos school, they can burn in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0neUAqXciHc

Getting a top 20 program IMO would be worth it in a split second. I mean, they are good and their new coach is doing pretty well..... Having 11 teams, even if you go to 20 is worth it....
stever20

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 am

Before I saw a lot of Uconn football fans saying "never" to the BE on their boards but this might be the capitulation point, having their own mid-major football conference pushing them out. I'm all for taking them, great basketball school and after WCC fans Huskies will be a walk in the park.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 am

That's a real shame. Poor UConn. Now, if we can stop BE folks from advocating a bailout for them. We're good at ten or 11 with Gonzaga. No public universities. ;).

Way to go Hall2012...willingly sacrificing his team (The Hall??) for the greater good...of UConn. Willing to put our money where his mouth is, monetarily bailing out heavily state subsidized UConn. Nice. What's the name of that brandless "tobacco" u r smoking?
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby cu blujs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 am

Why would Creighton, Xavier and Butler vote to let UConn in with full share from the start? We paid our dues, they can pay their dues. We don't need them, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find enough schools to accept them unless football goes to FCS (or whatever its called now). Personally, I'd rather go after St. Louis if they commit the resources to make a successful program. They were much improved the last year and off to a decent start this year, have a large metro area and decent attendance, which would only get better in the BE. The school is much more closely aligned to BE schools in culture, covers a market that is not already part of the BE, and they have had good success in other sports - and it is a doable road trip from Omaha.
cu blujs

Postby stever20 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:37 am

cu blujs wrote:Why would Creighton, Xavier and Butler vote to let UConn in with full share from the start? We paid our dues, they can pay their dues. We don't need them, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find enough schools to accept them unless football goes to FCS (or whatever its called now). Personally, I'd rather go after St. Louis if they commit the resources to make a successful program. They were much improved the last year and off to a decent start this year, have a large metro area and decent attendance, which would only get better in the BE. The school is much more closely aligned to BE schools in culture, covers a market that is not already part of the BE, and they have had good success in other sports - and it is a doable road trip from Omaha.

Well, Fox would have a major thing to say about that.

Xavier @ UConn would be something that Fox can sell.
Providence @ Saint Louis would not.

Like it or not, the C7 would be UNANIMOUS in approving UConn...
stever20

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 am

I went over to the Boneyard to read what UConn fans think about the GOR and possibly receiving less money than UCF, USF, Houston, etc... Good god, there are some clueless people over there.

There is an actual argument over there about whether Villanova is a better school academically than Cincinnati. I live an hour outside of Cincinnati, and I can assure you that no one in the Midwest is confusing UC with Harvard. I'm sure our Xavier posters can attest to this.

Also, there are a lot of people over there that lack basic accounting skills. They keep talking about Revenue, which has little meaning without also considering the Operational Expenses that come along with football.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:09 am

gtmoBlue wrote:That's a real shame. Poor UConn. Now, if we can stop BE folks from advocating a bailout for them. We're good at ten or 11 with Gonzaga. No public universities. ;).

Way to go Hall2012...willingly sacrificing his team (The Hall??) for the greater good...of UConn. Willing to put our money where his mouth is, monetarily bailing out heavily state subsidized UConn. Nice. What's the name of that brandless "tobacco" u r smoking?

It's not about "bailing out UConn." It's about bettering our league. I agree we don't "need" them and will do just fine without them, but like them or not, UConn's basketball programs are a big asset. P5 programs don't want them because their football program is an even bigger liability. The Big East is in a unique position of being able to take on the asset without than giant anchor attached to it - and now, with the news coming out of the AAC - we may have a very good opportunity to add that asset on a league friendly deal. Perhaps waiving a probation period is too much for a long term commitment - maybe we ask for that guarantee just to join - I'd be even happier with that.

And I'm not sacrificing anything. I'm acknowledging that UConn's presence in the league will likely make things much more difficult for the Hall - but if you're gonna run away from a challenge then why are you playing the game?
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:14 am

cu blujs wrote:Why would Creighton, Xavier and Butler vote to let UConn in with full share from the start?

Because they are a bigger brand and worth more than arguably anybody in the conference (aside from possibly Georgetown and Nova). We can all speculate on how valuable they'd be 5-10 years from now if they remain mediocre, but that's simply speculation.

Their addition would guarantee more money per school for our TV contract, which I'd expect to be immediately renegotiated. It needs to be revisited anyways with the secondary package still not determined for next year.

Fox wants UConn, and they'll be added if UConn agrees.

ConnersvilleBulldog wrote:I went over to the Boneyard to read what UConn fans think about the GOR and possibly receiving less money than UCF, USF, Houston, etc... Good god, there are some clueless people over there.

There is an actual argument over there about whether Villanova is a better school academically than Cincinnati. I live an hour outside of Cincinnati, and I can assure you that no one in the Midwest is confusing UC with Harvard. I'm sure our Xavier posters can attest to this.

Also, there are a lot of people over there that lack basic accounting skills. They keep talking about Revenue, which has little meaning without also considering the Operational Expenses that come along with football.

Yeah I read most of the thread. A lot of ridiculous, factually wrong arguments over there. Even worse posters than Stever, who trolls the Big East and manipulates data but usually doesn't flat out lie.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 am

Some minor corrections... We left UConn, not the other way around. Sure they've embraced football in a pathetic attempt to be more attractive to the ACC or the Big10 or Big12, or whomever. But they've also got a very good BB program. There is really no way to deny that.

I find it interesting that the fans of X, Butler and CU seem to be the most vocal critics against UConn. There's something there that a good psychiatrist would probably love to chew on. I don't see this as a zero sum transaction. Add UConn and CU/X/Butler/PC/SHU don't suffer in any way as a direct result IMO. More great teams benefits all of us. Short term recruiting losses are trumped by other kids wanting to join a conference with great teams, which improves recruiting pools for us all.

I'm an old softy. I miss some of the old rivalries. I love this new conference but can't shake the old relationships as easily. I hate the UConn fans and so in a weird way I miss them because they brought juice to the rivalry. I do agree that SLU checks more boxes than UConn, with the exception of tradition and program trajectory (which as a hoops fan first, is somewhat important). Drop FB or park it somewhere very non-threatening (like some current BE schools are doing now) and I'd let them in (with a huge exit fee agreement however).
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board