UConn Smoke

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UConn smoke

Postby FriarJ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm

I have said multiple times on the ridiculous should we go to 14 thread, it will only ever be 11 and there are only 2 schools that we would consider.
FriarJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:08 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Under the proposed GOR, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis would all receive higher television revenue payouts than the rest of the league. That means Aresco is effectively trying to sell the ****-canning of schools like Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, ECU and UConn as a way for the league to make more money and "force" long-term stability. Absolutely hilarious. We all have been told for years that football drives the bus. I guess it must be true. BEEP BEEP!

Well that's got to hurt if you are UCONN. The AAC is making no effort to keep you and also essentially penalizing UCONN by giving a share of their $$ to keep others.

Wow, that'd be unbelievable if UConn isn't top tier. I get it, football, but still.

GOR might force UConn out, but I guess the AAC doesn't care? Maybe the GOR is about a different team? Or the AAC knows UConn is leaving and is trying to keep the other teams happy?
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby admin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm

adoraz wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Under the proposed GOR, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis would all receive higher television revenue payouts than the rest of the league. That means Aresco is effectively trying to sell the ****-canning of schools like Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, ECU and UConn as a way for the league to make more money and "force" long-term stability. Absolutely hilarious. We all have been told for years that football drives the bus. I guess it must be true. BEEP BEEP!

Well that's got to hurt if you are UCONN. The AAC is making no effort to keep you and also essentially penalizing UCONN by giving a share of their $$ to keep others.

Wow, that'd be unbelievable if UConn isn't top tier. I get it, football, but still.

GOR might force UConn out, but I guess the AAC doesn't care? Maybe the GOR is about a different team? Or the AAC knows UConn is leaving and is trying to keep the other teams happy?

It has to be all about UCF. They are the prettiest girl at the dance and maybe the only one with two legs.
admin
Site Admin

Postby adoraz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:41 pm

admin wrote:It has to be all about UCF. They are the prettiest girl at the dance and maybe the only one with two legs.

If all this is true, I couldn't see UConn accepting that. Are they really going to be lower class in a conference they don't want to be in?

Looks like the AAC may be going all in on football.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:55 pm

adoraz wrote:
admin wrote:It has to be all about UCF. They are the prettiest girl at the dance and maybe the only one with two legs.

If all this is true, I couldn't see UConn accepting that. Are they really going to be lower class in a conference they don't want to be in?

Looks like the AAC may be going all in on football.

UCF is three years removed from going 0-12. For life in non-power conferences, success is cyclical. It is not uncommon to see different champions at the top of the league every few years. We saw that in Big East Football, including 2010 when it crowned three co-champions (West Virginia, Pittsburgh and UConn). For the American to essentially put all of its chips into UCF, USF, Memphis, Houston and Cincinnati, it is essentially telling ECU, Tulane, Tulsa, Temple, UConn and SMU that they are not only not as valuable, but that they also have zero chance of reaching the levels that the top half have had in the past five seasons. In the past four seasons, Temple has had two 10-win seasons; Tulsa won 10 games in 2016. That would be a bitter pill for them to swallow.

The level of dysfunction in the AAC is the exact same as Big East Football. Everyone is bound together by necessity, not choice. That is why it is doomed to fail.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby paulxu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:03 pm

The AAC has a year $126 million deal with ESPN.

That's $18 million/year...for 12 schools...equals $1.5 million/yr/school.

That's got to fund basketball and football (and everything else).

We're getting $4 million/yr/school. That's got to hurt if you're an AAC member.

Wonder if the Big12 would take UCF for football, and have 11 to keep their round robin in basketball with a 20 game schedule.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 pm

i just wonder if part of this is the Big East TV deal....

The 6 year sublicensing to CBS expires after this year....

I wonder if we may see a setup where ESPN picks this up, with UConn added, and some of that money that ESPN pays to Fox is used to increase the Big East school payouts.....
stever20

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 pm

We would take UConn in two seconds...after they take care of football.
redmen9194

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm

The smoke you see is the AAC burning to the ground.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Xavier4036 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 pm

Omaha1 wrote:The smoke you see is the AAC burning to the ground.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Goodness, the AAAC is a mess of a conference.
Xavier4036

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board