Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Irishdawg wrote:I think unless you're Jay Wright, most are putting Butler in the bottom half of the league this year. It'll be interesting to see where Creighton comes in at, but NBC thinks they'll be competitive.

Creighton and Butler will come in at 2nd & 3rd in either order. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gmoser1210 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Creighton and Butler will come in at 2nd & 3rd in either order. ;)

And then they'll both make the dance, Butler will make the Sweet Sixteen and Creighton will make its typical exit in the first weekend. ;) :P
Butler Bulldogs
'62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13, '15, '16, '17, '18
'33, '34, '47, '52, '53, '59, '61, 62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11
gmoser1210

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Beats the hell out of finishing 9th.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 am

I think Butler is vastly underrated this year. Coaching will only get better and it was already good in Jordan's rookie year. Jordan Tucker transfer also looms large for them. Wouldn't be surprised to see them possibly crack the top 25 early on. I know many of you think I take the top 25 and being ranked too seriously, but for national perception to remain strong, we will need to have more than Villanova ranked. One of Marquette/PC/SJ/Butler has a solid chance of being ranked IMO.
MullinMayhem

Postby Irishdawg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:33 am

MullinMayhem wrote:I think Butler is vastly underrated this year. Coaching will only get better and it was already good in Jordan's rookie year. Jordan Tucker transfer also looms large for them. Wouldn't be surprised to see them possibly crack the top 25 early on. I know many of you think I take the top 25 and being ranked too seriously, but for national perception to remain strong, we will need to have more than Villanova ranked. One of Marquette/PC/SJ/Butler has a solid chance of being ranked IMO.

I don't disagree that the coaching will likely get better, but Butler has a young team with a lot of role players, but really only a couple of Alphas (Baldwin and Tucker) IMO. Tucker won't be eligible until after the 1st semester, so until Butler plays Indiana, they will be without one of their best scorers.

Marquette, St. John's, Providence and Xavier are plenty talented enough to be ranked. Butler I think is going to struggle in the non-conference having to rely on guys who were pretty much able to hide out on offense last year with most of the attention being put on Martin.
Irishdawg

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:33 am

Well! This is interesting. Mullinmayhem &I think highly of Butler this season, idawg not so much. I've picked Butler to contend for the RS Championship with Providence and do no worse than 3rd. I'm guessing their returnees Brunk, Fowler, McDermott, Jorgenson, step up as it's their time to shine. Christian David should be a positive factor as well. Tucker joins in in December (after 1st semester). Butler has enough talent and plays within their system...they should be fine.

Oh yeah...forgot about Baldwin. :roll:

Those Butler v Prov late season tilts should decide the RS champion.

You know that I've put what little rep, credibility, and panache I have left on the line in picking Providence to win the Big East this season. They've got the horses and according to many the coaching. If they fold my "career" as a prognosticator may be finished! If they win it, then I'm the genius that I am. C' mon Providence and Coach Cooley. Geter done! ;)

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Irishdawg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:57 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Well! This is interesting. Mullinmayhem &I think highly of Butler this season, idawg not so much. I've picked Butler to contend for the RS Championship with Providence and do no worse than 3rd. I'm guessing their returnees Brunk, Fowler, McDermott, Jorgenson, step up as it's their time to shine. Christian David should be a positive factor as well. Tucker joins in in December (after 1st semester). Butler has enough talent and plays within their system...they should be fine.

Oh yeah...forgot about Baldwin. :roll:

Those Butler v Prov late season tilts should decide the RS champion.

You know that I've put what little rep, credibility, and panache I have left on the line in picking Providence to win the Big East this season. They've got the horses and according to many the coaching. If they fold my "career" as a prognosticator may be finished! If they win it, then I'm the genius that I am. C' mon Providence and Coach Cooley. Geter done! ;)

Ed Cooley's reaction to your pick

Greg McDermott's reaction that gtmo is no longer picking Creighton

And Jay Wright on his good fortune of getting bulletin board material for the defending national champs
Irishdawg

Postby adoraz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Hardship waivers being handed out left and right. Any of the naysayers want to revise their thoughts on Heron's chances?

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/u ... bcbb7.html
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:40 pm

adoraz wrote:Hardship waivers being handed out left and right. Any of the naysayers want to revise their thoughts on Heron's chances?

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/u ... bcbb7.html

I've already said I think he's going to get it....

BUT- I would say for this one- it's at least somewhat due to a coaching change- which isn't the same as what's going on with Heron.......
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm

It doesn't matter if Heron gets his waiver...Johnnies gonna Johnnie and finish 7th.

2018-19 Big East projected final standings… (gtmo, 15 August 18)

1) Providence
2) Creighton
3) Butler
4) Xavier
5) Villanova
6) Marquette
7) St Johns Ponds, Simon, & Clark are back. Picked up a top juco in LJ Figueroa. Big class including 2 transfers in Dixon and Keita, and RS Diatke. Mullin has talent on the roster. Can he coach ’em up? Is Mullin history also?
8) Georgetown
9) DePaul
10) Seton Hall

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board