Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Annual predictions are up at Bluenotes.

https://bluenotes2.com/in-the-paint-posts/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Annual predictions are up at Bluenotes.

Did you complete this before or after Happy Hour? I'll assume the latter.
Red Rooster

Postby adoraz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 am

Red Rooster wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Annual predictions are up at Bluenotes.

Did you complete this before or after Happy Hour? I'll assume the latter.

There's some amusing parts, such as questioning if the Friars can handle the pressure of being the front runners (front runners according to nobody else but himself lol). Definitely some bulletin board material for Nova.

GTMO, where would the Johnnies be located if Heron is eligible? Top 5?

Seems to be pretty biased in favor of the smaller schools. The only C7 school that is placed higher than they should be is Providence (also the smallest of the C7 I think). I always enjoy an underdog story, but at a certain point teams like SJU and Georgetown become the underdogs since they've been bad for so long.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 am

Our boy Gtmo with some hard-hitting analysis:

“StJ, Gtwn, Marquette, and Nova all have big holes to fill and will rely on new and untested players. It’s gonna be a wide open season in the Big East!

Can Creighton get into the mix and be effective? Yes. Alexander, Ballock (sophs), and Zegarowski (frosh) step up. Cashaw and Jefferson (transfers) step up and contribute significantly on both sides of the ball.”

So...as per usual, all teams (other than CU) will struggle because they have new “unproven” pieces. Yet the new Jays will integrate all their new players seemlessly? Sounds about right.

Otherwise you nailed it. :lol:
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am

Happy hour...funny pick in Prov...small school bias...where would Johnnies be w Heron? Thanks for the comments all. Gumby's correct, typical gtmo stuff. These fanboards would be so boring if we all shared the same opinion(s). Just doing my part for diversity.

Most here think this is merely another Kansas... uh, Nova "& the little nine" year. Wake up & smell the coffee Sleeping Beauty, nothing typical about this season. "Chance favors the prepared mind, and opportunity favors the bold.” I really don't think we'll see much "struggle" at Providence or Butler. Hence, they are also top tier teams.

You can thank me next March! ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:where would Johnnies be w Heron? )

I don't agree with the Johnnies fans here. Like, they all seems to have drank the koolaid that Mustapha Heron is the savior. Nevermind that their biggest need is a center, they make it sound like one player is gonna be responsible for whether they're top 25 good or an afterthought. It almost never works out like that.
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:01 pm

...some hardhitting analysis... you may not believe it, but this is a much harder sell to the 18,000 strong Villanova fans in OMAHA, than it is here. They luv Nova more than Creighton out there... :shock:

Nova losses...***Villanova is losing 4 Starters who accounted for 60.7 (61)% of minutes and 70% of scoring production. So do they "deserve" to be ranked as the conferences' preseason #1??
The pick for conf leader should be between Prov, Butler, and the Jays, or if we're playing "Favs" then Xavier - as they are the defending Big East champions.

Nova has little returning from their vets...Not striking a note of confidence for the fans, nor fear in the hearts of opponents...I like Jay and the Radnorites as much as the next guy, but the numbers don't lie. The Cats have one helluva mountain to climb to get into the conference race, let alone win the BE.

Gms Mpg Ppg Rbds etc...
Eric Paschall 38 29.8 10.6 5.3 2.2 0.9 0.6 1.7 .533 .813 .356
Phil Booth 33 27.4 10.0 3.2 2.9 0.8 0.2 1.4 .441 .800 .379
Collin Gillespie 32 14.4 4.3 1.3 1.1 0.6 0.1 0.4 .452 .800 .394
Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree 40 11.3 3.1 2.4 0.1 0.3 0.4 0.5 .779 .643 .000
Jermaine Samuels 25 6.1 1.1 1.2 0.3 0.0 0.1 0.5 .250 .625 .188

Prov is getting their team jell on in Italy.
Bring on the season. :o ;)

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:34 am

gtmoBlue wrote:

Gotta admit...seeing that 2018 BE Championship banner in the hands of another team is quite unsettling. One of these days we'll get our confetti shower. I mean, if you can't win your own conference, how the hell can you expect to...

Oh, never mind... :D

A stellar .854 winning % in the BE in the last 5 years of the conference. 4 BE Reg season titles and 3 BE tourney titles. 5 Preseason OOC tournament titles. 2 FF's and 2 NC's. 3 BE POY's, 2 1st Team AA's and a NPOY, a coach who has been named Conf COY 3x and NCOY. 4 players that have gone on to play in the NBA and another 4 drafted this past year. I guess we do OK.

But you may be right...nothing is guaranteed. You have to earn everything in this league. I guess we'll just have to see. I would not bet against The Program, if past performance is any indication of future results.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 am

No doubts whatsoever that Villanova has had a Great Run these past 5 years. Luv the banners and hardware. A Great, history-making Run. But by all appearances the run may be over.

Gumby quote:
But you may be right...nothing is guaranteed. You have to earn everything in this league. I guess we'll just have to see. I would not bet against The Program, if past performance is any indication of future results.

Well, as many have noted... past performance is not an indicator of future results. It's gonna be a fantastic season with many great storylines as it unfolds. Go Nova. ;)

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:35 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:No doubts whatsoever that Villanova has had a Great Run these past 5 years. Luv the banners and hardware. A Great, history-making Run. But by all appearances the run may be over.

Gumby quote:

Well, as many have noted... past performance is not an indicator of future results. It's gonna be a fantastic season with many great storylines as it unfolds. Go Nova. ;)

I am guessing Gumby will respond as soon as he picks his microphone back up...
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board