2017-18 Attendance

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017-18 Attendance

Postby CoachK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 pm

marquette wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Marquette actually averaged 13,845 (74% capacity) for the regular season. Three NIT games were played on campus at the Al McGuire Center (3,700)

I was going to post this exact same thing.

Also, Marquette's (non-NIT) low water mark this season was against Eastern Illinois at 11,647.

Villanova's % capacity is also weird. For some reason they used the Wells Fargo Center (capacity 21,600) where they play a small minority of games instead of the Pavilion (capacity 6,500).

Think same deal with Providence, their number includes the 1,600 sellout they got for their opening game played on campus at Alumni Hall - first regular season game played there in over 40 years. Taking that game out, I believe their average would jump to 10,045.
CoachK

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby scoscox » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 am

I thought that providence number seemed low. That makes sense
scoscox

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:29 am

Did Nova open/attempt to sell the entire WFC for every game there? I know they opened it for at least a few games, perhaps enough to at least justify factoring it into capacity.

Asking because Seton Hall, for example, doesn't even attempt to sell the upper level of the Prudential Center so it doesn't factor it into capacity (other sources do include it though, which makes their attendance % look terrible).

The other issue for Villanova is that they're working with season ticket base of about 6,000 (less when accounting for students). I'm not sure how they handled the move, perhaps a Nova fan can chime in. I know they have a waiting list for season tickets - so did they allow everyone to purchase season tickets for just the 1 season or did they only sell as many as they would be able to renew upon returning to the Pavillion? If they capped season ticket sales low, 10k+ single game tickets to sell for every game is a ton for anybody.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Letsgonova » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm

Yes, the entire building was for sale for every game.

Normal season ticket base is only around 4,750. Last year, all season ticket holders could buy basically as many seats as they wanted, and then there were separate packages for sale to the general public. The previous waiting list was also offered packages before the public had access.

Generally a weak home schedule last year, and the 6:30 start times during the week to accommodate FS1 broadcasts didn't help. Lots of our ticket holders, myself included, are in the western/northern burbs, and trekking into South Philly at that time is a challenge. I'd guarantee that held down single game sales somewhat.

This year, with the Finneran Pavilion opening, we've got to a points-based system and the entire building is being re-seated. We don't yet know how the WFC seating will be done, everything has been focused on the Finn. Some not-so-happy campers, as you might expect, as some long-time ticket holders weren't able to keep their lower-level seats, but that's modern collegiate athletics.
Letsgonova

Postby FriarJ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Another reason that Ed Cooley is a gift from God for PC. We had about 2,500 season ticket holders when he arrived and very little student presence. That is now pushing 7K in season ticket holders and on top of that the students are a sellout. I believe close to 40% of the student body purchases season passes now.
FriarJ

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Letsgonova wrote:Yes, the entire building was for sale for every game.

Normal season ticket base is only around 4,750. Last year, all season ticket holders could buy basically as many seats as they wanted, and then there were separate packages for sale to the general public. The previous waiting list was also offered packages before the public had access.

Generally a weak home schedule last year, and the 6:30 start times during the week to accommodate FS1 broadcasts didn't help. Lots of our ticket holders, myself included, are in the western/northern burbs, and trekking into South Philly at that time is a challenge. I'd guarantee that held down single game sales somewhat.

This year, with the Finneran Pavilion opening, we've got to a points-based system and the entire building is being re-seated. We don't yet know how the WFC seating will be done, everything has been focused on the Finn. Some not-so-happy campers, as you might expect, as some long-time ticket holders weren't able to keep their lower-level seats, but that's modern collegiate athletics.

Not looking for too many excuses but it was a weird year schedule wise. Also the Eagles march to a Super Bowl certainly didn't help. As examples, Nova vs. Marq. was on Wild Card Saturday. No Eagles game that day but the sports fan in Philly is home watching who the Eagles might face the next week. The game still got 14K. Then SB Sunday at Home vs. SHU. 16K show up but if no SB that game is an easy sellout IMO. 2 nights after the Super Bowl Nova plays SJU at home. I, and any other Eagles/Nova fan, were completely emotionally spent. The building was dead, and the players played like the crowd felt. 10k total in the seats. Loss. Then a week after the SB, Butler comes to town and 20K show up. Georgetown comes to town the following weekend; 18.5K show. So there were some odd circumstances at play.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby marquette » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Letsgonova wrote:Yes, the entire building was for sale for every game.

There were plenty of dissatisfied season ticket holders when we changed over to a points based system in the late 90s/00s. People adjust eventually.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm

I read threads like this and it reminds me that I've been taking for granted the fact that Creighton has 15000 season ticket holders.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby BEXU » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 pm

102% for X. Guess we need to bump up the roof.
BEXU

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Omaha1 wrote:I read threads like this and it reminds me that I've been taking for granted the fact that Creighton has 15000 season ticket holders.

Jays need to begin winning more than 22 games (8 yr avg is 23wins/yr), if you expect to keep those sth-ers. Folks won't keep coming for average, mid tier performance. Folks already beatchin' about noncon schedules, season ticket cost hikes, increases to beer/snack prices, and lack of NCAA success. Need some additional $ beer nights, consistent 25-27 win Reg seasons, a BET championship or 3, and a couple of NCAA runs to keep folks happy. Otherwise don't be surprised if the season ticket numbers begin to nose dive. Creighton fanbase is spoiled-they expect a championship or 2, or at least some BET Banners/rings. If they only get midtier results the interest will wane. It's "put up or shut up" time for the current coaching regime.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board