Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Spokane is further away than Providence. :lol:
And no one, not even Beech and Cessna employees, really want to go to Wichita.
Maybe we need to put the Drake Bulldogs back on our schedule...(longest running series).
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Smucker's is selling Eric Paschall (Buzz60) and Pillsbury! :shock: Gotta be a blow to Radnorites everywhere. :cry:

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/money/b ... 103571542/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 770550002/
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm

I love lists, like most folks. I make up to do's, grocery, laundry, shopping lists and the like. Gotta have a list to prioritize and
get things done...check, check, check.
I like preseason lists too. here's a few from off other boards. Just a bit of variation from the fabled
prognosticator's here at HLOH.

(C'mon Butler...)

here's 2 from VU Basketball and Sports...on the VU Sports.com board

ryan231424
ryan231424
(248)
19 months
Apr 3, 4:09 PM
1) Villanova
2) Butler
3) Providence
4) St Johns
5) Marquette
6) Xaiver
7) Georgetown
8) Creighton
9) Seton Hall
10) Depaul

VillanovaJunctionBlues
VillanovaJunctionBlues
(192)
25 months
Apr 3, 4:31 PM
1) Nova
2) St Johns
3) Providence
4) Georgetown
5) Butler
6) Xavier
7) Creighton
8) Marquette
9) Seton Hall
10)Depaul

That's based on a lot of assumptions (Ponds and Donte staying ...) And really, you can take the first 8 and shake them up, and however it comes out wouldn't surprise me. The most unpredictable season since the conference reorganized.

My fav is from Busting Brackets... https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/04/09/big-east-basketball-way-too-early-preseason-rankings-for-2018-19/
Tristan Freeman @hoopsnut351, did this one back in April 2018... His premises have all died on the vines, but it was a great early stab at it.

1) nova
2) prov
3) cr8n
4) hall
5) hoyas
6) marq
7) Butl
8) Xav
9) DeP
10) Johnnies

Plus Casualhoya's trend analysis from last March...
https://www.casualhoya.com/2018/3/19/17 ... -villanova

But let’s take a look inside for a minute, as I think the picture for the Conference is a tad more murky. Let’s go team by team, in order of this season’s finish:

1. Xavier:
Trend: DOWN.

2. Villanova:
Trend: STEADY

3. Creighton:
Trend: DOWN

4. Seton Hall:
Trend: DOWN

5. Providence:
Trend: UP

6. Marquette:
Trend: UP.

7. Butler:

8. Georgetown:

9. St. Johns’s:

10. DePaul:
Trend: Steady.

So there you have it. 5 teams on the way up, 3 teams on the way down, and 2 steady Eddies. The Conference could easily get 5-6 teams back in the Dance next season, ready to party once again.

Plus a whole bunch of folks over on Reddit... https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... edictions/

..including this one...
Posted byu/AntSmith777
3 months ago
2018-19 Big East Predictions
Hey guys,

I’m curious what your rankings would be 1-10, for the Big East next year. Obviously there is still a lot to be determined as far as who stays, and if any of these schools land grad transfers. But here are my early rankings. (These rankings are based on Khyri Thomas leaving for the NBA BTW).

Villanova

Butler

Providence

Seton Hall

Xavier

Creighton

Marquette

Georgetown

St. John’s

DePaul

and this...

Marquette Golden Eagles
ryanx1
1 point
·
3 months ago
While I think 19-20 will be the best Wojo season, we really should take a step into the top 4 this year. Losing Rowsey is addition by subtration and we're essentially bringing in 3 four stars and Ike Eke. Giving Theo more minutes should help our abysmal interior D.

Nova (obviously)

Providence

Marquette

Xavier (promoting from within will limit growing pains)

Creighton (hopefully little Froling is as bad as his brother)

Butler

St. John's (Could be 5-10 depending on if Ponds leaves)

Georgetown

Seton Hall (Not bringing in any stellar freshmen and losing Delgado, Carrington and Desi. Cale's good though)

DePaul (Actually had a good defense this year but I'm sticking with history)

and then there's this...

Michigan State Spartans / UMBC Retrievers
nburt13
-3 points
·
3 months ago
Villanova

Butler

Seton Hall

UConn??? (Apparently they might move to the Big East next year. Please someone tell me if I am wrong.)

Providence

Xavier

Marquette

Georgetown

Creighton

St. John's

DePaul

and many more...see link above.

Lastly - NBC's May 2018 take...

WAY-TOO-EARLY POWER RANKINGS

1. VILLANOVA: The losses the Wildcats sustained were more than just significant, but the talent and culture remains intact in Philadelphia. Omari Spellman’s decision looms large, but a strong recruiting class – plus Jay Wright – keeps ‘Nova on top.

2. XAVIER: Another bet on culture, Xavier is another program that lost a ton, but by keeping some level of continuity by promoting Travis Steele, the Musketeers may not slip as far as you’d normally expect considering their losses. Steele has his work cut out for him, but the pieces are there to be competitive.

3. PROVIDENCE: Kyron Cartwright and Rodney Bullock are two huge names to lose, but Alpha Diallo and Emmitt Holt should be enough to carry the offensive load.

4. CREIGHTON: Greg McDermott reinvented his program the last few years, going from being among the country’s slowest-paced teams to one of the quickest. WIth the losses of Marcus Foster and Khyri Thomas, this will likely be the third chapter of his time in Omaha following this back-to-back NCAA tournaments and the Dougie McBuckets era before that.

5. SETON HALL: The Pirates will hang their hats on getting a lot of production from Myles Powell and Quincy McKnight to overcome the losses of Angel Delgado, Khadeen Carrington and Desi Rodriguez.

6. GEORGETOWN: Jessie Govan’s decision to stay or go will have a big impact on the Hoyas’ future, but Patrick Ewing’s return to to D.C. looks to be headed in the right direction.

7. BUTLER: How Kamar Baldwin goes, the Bulldogs are likely to follow. He’s going to have a ton of offensive responsibility if Butler is going to get back to the NCAA tournament in LaVall Jordan’s second season.

8. MARQUETTE: The Golden Eagles are 1-for-4 in NCAA tournament seasons under Steve Wojciechowski, and his fifth season looks to be an uphill battle to improve that percentage.

9. ST. JOHN’S: If Shamorie Ponds returns, it’s not hard to see the Red Storm outperforming this prediction. If he doesn’t, it could be another difficult year for Mullin and Co.

10. DEPAUL: The Blue Demons have three-straight losing seasons in Dave Leitao’s second go-round, and it looks as though a fourth is likely.

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:49 am

Looking through all the lists gtmo just posted, the opinions on Seton Hall are incredibly polarized. They're either picked in the top 4 or the bottom 2, with next to nothing in between. Hopefully the top 4 people turn out to be right lol.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby milksteak » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Posted this over on ButlerHoops, but I figure you guys will find this interesting too. Wanted to see what percentage of minutes and scoring each team returned. This data is using conference scoring/minutes ONLY and is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Returning Minutes (by %):
1. Marquette: 77.9%
2. Butler: 72.4%
3. Georgetown: 67.5%
4. St. John's: 59.8%
5. DePaul: 54.0%
6. Providence: 53.0%
7. Xavier: 51.9%
8. Creighton: 38.1%
9. Villanova: 37.2%
10. Seton Hall: 35.9%

Returning Points (by %):
1. Marquette: 72.9%
2. St. John's: 68.5%
3. Georgetown: 67.6%
4. Butler: 59.9%
5. DePaul: 55.5%
6. Providence: 54.0%
7. Xavier: 40.5%
8. Seton Hall: 32.5%
9. Creighton: 31.5%
10. Villanova: 28.2%

EDIT: Had Harrell in Creighton stats. Fixed.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Milksteak's lists look great for Marquette, Butler, StJ, and Gtwn. Not so much for the rest, especially poor Seton Hall, Creighton, and Nova.
I gonna recommend the Jays "mail it in" and move on to Baseball Season.

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Hey

Roster is set, numbers assigned, Summer League completed,walking wounded healing up nicely...

We Ready! ;)

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby RetireFiftyTu » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:09 am

I'm doing a deep dive on all the Big East rosters for the coming season. I have most guys and teams accounted for but I was wondering if I could get one fan from each school to comment what their expected starting 5/rotation is and then also their other scholarship players this year that don't figure to really get minutes. So for Xavier it would be:

Starters
Quentin Goodin
Paul Scruggs
Kyle Castlin
Naji Marshall
Tyrique Jones

Bench
Ryan Welage
Zach Hankins

Elias Harden
Dontarius James
Keonte Kennedy

Xavier has a solid 7 man rotation and they are hoping that at least one of Harden, James, or Kennedy steps up and contributes.
Xavier
RetireFiftyTu

Postby kayako » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:49 pm

RetireFiftyTu wrote:I was wondering if I could get one fan from each school to comment what their expected starting 5/rotation is and then also their other scholarship players this year that don't figure to really get minutes.

Nova

PG - Quinerly
CG - Booth
SG - Cremo
PF - Paschall
C - Cosby-Roundtree

Gillespie - backup both guard spots
Samuels, Slater, and Bey - athletic swingmen off the bench, but one of these guy may start ahead of Cremo
Swider - not sure that he has a position, but I'll just say a "forward" off the bench with a great shot
Painter - backup center

Delaney was a garbage minute player this past season, and it's probably safe to assume the same for the upcoming season.

We've lost a lot to the draft this year, but unless someone gets redshirted (possibly Bey) that's a lot of guys fighting for minutes at the 2-4 positions.
supernova
kayako

Postby billyjack » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:55 pm

PC:
at the beginning of the season, it will probably be:
1. Makai Ashton-Langford.
2. Maliek White.
3. Alpha Diallo.
4. Emmitt Holt.
5. Nate Watson.

At some point, i would expect Reeves and Duke to crack the starting lineup.

Bench:
AJ Reeves.
David Duke.
Isaiah Jackson.
Jimmy Nichols.
Kris Monroe.
Kalif Young.
Drew Edwards.

No Friar is under 6'-3".
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext