Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:57 pm

I'd place the Johnnies around 5th without Heron. I could certainly see third with Heron. Add Rice to go along with Heron, then I'd put the Johnnies no lower than 3rd place with ink.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Jet915 wrote:Rothstein's take:

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
Follow Follow @JonRothstein
More
Big East Offseason Power Rankings:

1. Villanova
2. Marquette
3. St. John's
4. Xavier
5. Georgetown
6. Seton Hall
7. Providence
8. Creighton
9. Butler
10. DePaul

Markus Howard, Marquette
Shamorie Ponds, St. John's
Kamar Baldwin, Butler
Eric Paschall, Villanova
Jessie Govan, Georgetown

Whew, was getting nervous that Butler might actually have expectations thrust upon them this year. I will say that if Baldwin does make 1st team all Big East, there's no way Butler finishes 9th.
Irishdawg

Postby xufan02 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 pm

I personally don't see Marquette finishing in the top 3. They have a top 3 roster no doubt, but until Wojo proves he can get buy in on the defensive end I'm not sold. I loved the defense and hustle out of Greg Elliot last year. If that type of play spreads to others newcomers on the team I will gladly retract my prediction.
xufan02

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:12 pm

xufan02 wrote:I personally don't see Marquette finishing in the top 3. They have a top 3 roster no doubt, but until Wojo proves he can get buy in on the defensive end I'm not sold. I loved the defense and hustle out of Greg Elliot last year. If that type of play spreads to others newcomers on the team I will gladly retract my prediction.

I was of a similar stance until I saw how awful a few of our players were defensively (statistically) - especially having two players under 6'0 in Rowsey and Howard. The defensive metrics in adding Chartouney and replacing Rowsey are unreal.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:08 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
xufan02 wrote:I personally don't see Marquette finishing in the top 3. They have a top 3 roster no doubt, but until Wojo proves he can get buy in on the defensive end I'm not sold. I loved the defense and hustle out of Greg Elliot last year. If that type of play spreads to others newcomers on the team I will gladly retract my prediction.

I was of a similar stance until I saw how awful a few of our players were defensively (statistically) - especially having two players under 6'0 in Rowsey and Howard. The defensive metrics in adding Chartouney and replacing Rowsey are unreal.

Like I've said- it's tough to tell how a guy moving up from a smaller conference will do playing against much tougher teams. The guys he's going to be going up against are much tougher. I mean, Ponds when they played a few years ago scored 26 points.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm

stever20 wrote:Like I've said- it's tough to tell how a guy moving up from a smaller conference will do playing against much tougher teams. The guys he's going to be going up against are much tougher. I mean, Ponds when they played a few years ago scored 26 points.

Nova put down Alert!:
Surely you aren't badmouthing savior Joe Cremo on this board? How dare u Steverino, how dare u! Cremo, Quinerly (if eligible), & Swider will carry Nova this season...lol. Pillsbury & Booth can't win it all alone. And the lightly used sophs and Painter are still untested. Let's go Joe, let's go Joe! As one of the least experienced and youngest teams in the league, I can hear the guys ranting-"so & so's gotta step up"; and unless 2-3 step up it's gonna be a long, let down season in Philly. (Which is expected by the "realistic" talking heads.).

Not even the legendary Coach Jay can lose 4 starters and carry on without missing a beat...bye Nova. Heck Xavier may even get the W over the Cats this season.?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:05 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
stever20 wrote:Like I've said- it's tough to tell how a guy moving up from a smaller conference will do playing against much tougher teams. The guys he's going to be going up against are much tougher. I mean, Ponds when they played a few years ago scored 26 points.

Nova put down Alert!:
Surely you aren't badmouthing savior Joe Cremo on this board? How dare u Steverino, how dare u! Cremo, Quinerly (if eligible), & Swider will carry Nova this season...lol. Pillsbury & Booth can't win it all alone. And the lightly used sophs and Painter are still untested. Let's go Joe, let's go Joe! As one of the least experienced and youngest teams in the league, I can hear the guys ranting-"so & so's gotta step up"; and unless 2-3 step up it's gonna be a long, let down season in Philly. (Which is expected by the "realistic" talking heads.).

Not even the legendary Coach Jay can lose 4 starters and carry on without missing a beat...bye Nova. Heck Xavier may even get the W over the Cats this season.?

GTMO's BACK from the Kumbaya !!!!!!! Ya never learn my friend. Every year you go on about Nova dropping off, but the Radnorites will continue to break your heart, Nova will be JUST FINE. We have no worries. Sure with the loss of 4 key guys, we might not go 36-4, but don't feel bad for us for a slight drop off (might even have 8 or more losses) but, we will persevere. We will survive (and advance)!
Novachap

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Novachap wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:

Nova put down Alert!:

GTMO's BACK from the Kumbaya !!!!!!! Ya never learn my friend. Every year you go on about Nova dropping off, but the Radnorites will continue to break your heart, Nova will be JUST FINE. We have no worries. Sure with the loss of 4 key guys, we might not go 36-4, but don't feel bad for us for a slight drop off (might even have 8 or more losses) but, we will persevere. We will survive (and advance)!

Spoken as a true blue Radnorite, Novachap, true blue!! Luv it!

Luv Nova cause you win, have some of the best diehards, and make for the best candidate for a Jays rival. (We need to sweep this year to firm up the rival part.). DePaul doesn't win enough, Marquette is family, X doesn't want to be our rival (& has Cincy and Butler already), and Prov is light years away.

Lookin forward to cruising thru Radnor & the Pavilion this season, hopefully around Valentine's Day, so's my Jays can show da luv. It's all good - looking forward to the season.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:55 am

Marquette will be better defensively without any input from Wojo, the numbers without either Howard or Rowsey makes a solid case. Chartouney doesn't have to play like Khyri Thomas. It's not a tall expectation to not play like Rowsey. Marquette's defense improving is, to me, one of the surest things I can expect for the upcoming season...
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:02 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Luv Nova cause you win, have some of the best diehards, and make for the best candidate for a Jays rival.

Is this why Rasmussen keeps telling people that the BE needs Gonzaga and Wichita State? :lol:
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board