Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:01 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:No one is denying that Villanova had a great team and season last season. In Hindsight they may be "Kings" but Xavier won the BE Regular Season title and trophy.
However, you for some reason, still refuse to give Xavier respect for their accomplishment.

gtmoBlue
Obviously Nova had another great year, but winning the conference regular season title is not "meaningless", regardless of your spin,
for those of us affiliated with the Big East. It's 1 of 3 crowns we play for.

Your argument definitely attempts to diminish Xavier's accomplishment.
No one knew in early March that Nova would go on to win the Natty.
In hindsight yes, Nova had another excellent season, but Xavier also had a great BE Championship season. Give them their due respect.

As for the 2018-19 season...We shall see. ;)

No one is diminishing X. They won the regular season but they didn't beat Nova, didn't win the BET and Nova won both the BET and NCAA. Nova is the king and have not yet been unseated which is what you are arguing.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:39 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:X and Nova had the same overall record for OOC and Conference, with X having a better conference slate at 15-3. Nova was 14-4.

BET is post season. Nova had a better post season by far. If you ask any number of fans about last season, all they know is Nova won the
Natty over Michigan.

Obviously Nova had another great year, but winning the conference regular season title is not "meaningless", regardless of your spin,
for those of us affiliated with the Big East. It's 1 of 3 crowns we play for.

Your argument definitely attempts to diminish Xavier's accomplishment.
No one knew in early March that Nova would go on to win the Natty.
In hindsight yes, Nova had another excellent season, but Xavier also had a great BE Championship season. Give them their due respect.

Butler is #24 in the ESPN Poll. Xavier #26 in the latest NBC Poll. Marquette #24 in a lesser poll (SB Nation).

Eh tbh I don't know if the conference Tournaments are considered post-season. It's possible they are technically classified as such, but since basically all 351 teams in the nation participate in them AND they are counted towards NCAA/NIT consideration, it's not comparable to a "post-season" in any other sport. If anything, Conference Tournament games are more important than regular season games for several reasons.

I never said Xavier's regular season title was "meaningless", I said it was meaningless relative to Nova's accomplishments this year. If you think I am diminishing Xavier, that is because you are crowning them and asking for comparisons vs Nova. I am simply stating facts as to why Nova is still king. 99% of the facts point towards Nova still being kings of the BE. You are arguing for the 1%.

As for your final comment about the rankings... I mean it's nice we have several teams listed in the mid 20s in several different polls, but last year we had a much better showing than that and X was solidly in the middle. Last year isn't comparable to this year in terms of polling, and the figures you're citing don't do anything to counter that.

I'd love for the polls to be better and even half as good as last year's, but at least for the pre-season the AP poll will be ugly.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Both teams deserve plenty of credit for their significant and difficult accomplishments, but there is a rather significant difference in prestige. I realize I'm mixing sports here, but it's like Xavier won the President's Trophy while Villanova won both the Stanley Cup and the Champions League.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am

All I know is with Nova and Xavier both having significant losses it is time for someone else to step up and help carry this conference.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:02 pm

DudeAnon wrote:All I know is with Nova and Xavier both having significant losses it is time for someone else to step up and help carry this conference.

Screw that! We are not conceding an inch. ;)
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:54 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:All I know is with Nova and Xavier both having significant losses it is time for someone else to step up and help carry this conference.

Cue Butler, Marq, & Prov...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:35 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

That's the only way to look at it.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Rothstein's take:

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
Follow Follow @JonRothstein
More
Big East Offseason Power Rankings:

1. Villanova
2. Marquette
3. St. John's
4. Xavier
5. Georgetown
6. Seton Hall
7. Providence
8. Creighton
9. Butler
10. DePaul

5 Under-The-Radar Big East Freshmen:

Sam Froling, Creighton
Brendan Bailey, Marquette
Josh Roberts, St. John’s
Greg Williams, St. John’s
Saddiq Bey, Villanova

5 Big East Breakout Players:

Myles Cale, Seton Hall
Collin Gillespie, Villanova
Naji Marshall, Xavier
Nate Watson, Providence
Mitch Ballock, Creighton

5 Under-The-Radar Big East Transfers:

LJ Figueroa, St. John’s (JUCO)
Connor Cashaw, Creighton
Damien Jefferson, Creighton
Femi Olujobi, DePaul
Zach Hankins, Xavier

10 Impact Big East Transfers:

Joe Cremo, Villanova
Joseph Chartouny, Marquette
Ed Morrow, Marquette
Mikey Dixon, St. John’s
Sedee Keita, St. John’s
Quincy McKnight, Seton Hall
Taurean Thompson, Seton Hall
Jalen Coleman-Lands, DePaul
Jordan Tucker, Butler
Ryan Welage, Xavier

10 Big East Impact Freshmen:

Jahvon Quinerly, Villanova
Cole Swider, Villanova
Brandon Slater, Villanova
Joey Hauser, Marquette
David Duke, Providence
A.J. Reaves, Providence
Marcus Zegarowski, Creighton
James Akinjo, Georgetown
Josh LeBlanc, Georgetown
Anthony Nelson, SHU

Big East Preseason Player of the Year:

Shamorie Ponds, St. John's

Big East Preseason First Team:

Markus Howard, Marquette
Shamorie Ponds, St. John's
Kamar Baldwin, Butler
Eric Paschall, Villanova
Jessie Govan, Georgetown
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 pm

And Rothstein said in a separate tweet that if Heron is ruled eligible he would put him at the top of the impact transfer ranking.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board