Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:21 am

I'm just glad Hoya fans are talking trash lol...love the G'Town/SJ rivalry. Let's hope both teams are fighting for a bid next year so we can have some drama and a packed MSG.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 am

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:I think the reason why I wouldn't be so optimistic is that what is being asked represents a total sea change from how the NCAA has been opporating these last 3 seasons.

Frankly, I don't think there would be a way for St John's to really appeal a no decision. It's not like there's been a precident set where someone was allowed to play in this situation. So not really sure what grounds they would have for an appeal.

Also, I think the look towards immediate eligiblity as a whole for transfers took a major hit with the Rice report a few months ago. If they were saying to go towards immediate eligibility for transfers I'd be far more optimisitc for these waivers(this isn't only one- I know Wichita has one as well) being granted.

All in all, it would be a major surprise IMO for the waiver to be granted. Do I need to remind you of the shock that Spellman wasn't eligible 2 years ago with Nova? And that IMO had far more of a case of being granted as it was a new rule applied.

Ok, so as I stated my last few posts I won't try to debate NCAA logic because frankly it's hard to debate something so illogical. I don't know much about this, so I am more inclined to side with posters on Redmen who are close to the situation and don't mislead us. I still believe this is a gray issue and not a definite "no".

BUT I'm bored and you know more about the history of the issue than I do, so sure I'll listen.

So I understand the arguments against him playing, but 2 things:
1. This seems like a wayyyyyyyyy more legitimate case than the big majority of hardship waivers. It was eliminated because it was being abused, correct? Sure, it may not technically be life threatening, but it'd be really tough to look at the issue as Heron abusing the system. It's obvious what his intentions are. He is not simply transferring because he's home sick, wants to go to a better team, wants more playing time, etc. None of that makes sense here. He is leaving an excellent team where he got all the playing time he needed. He's also leaving on seemingly great terms.
2. How many legit hardship cases (or at least semi-legit, like this one) have there been over the past few years? They are extremely rare, no? I don't think there would be many comparable cases to this, if any, in recent years.

I think you're pretty realistic. It does seem fairly legit.

I think there's 1 from a kid going to Wichita actually from West Virginia that's trying to get the waiver as well. Only 2 that I've heard of at all this year. I think that's just like what the NCAA wants. I'd say that maybe the reason there's not been that many announced is that folks knew the NCAA rule was fairly ironclad- the answer was going to be no, so not to put it out there at all. I could easily see the NCAA say we've got the toothpaste back in the tube now, and we're not going to reopen that tube. If the Rice report a few months ago been more bullish on allowing immediate transfers, this would be close to a no brainer. But, the fact is that the Rice report said that the current transfer system(which would include no hardship waivers) should remain intact.
stever20

Postby ProprietyofLeyluken » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:I'm just glad Hoya fans are talking trash lol...love the G'Town/SJ rivalry. Let's hope both teams are fighting for a bid next year so we can have some drama and a packed MSG.

MSG will be packed regardless.
ProprietyofLeyluken

Postby NJRedman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 pm

ProprietyofLeyluken wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:I'm just glad Hoya fans are talking trash lol...love the G'Town/SJ rivalry. Let's hope both teams are fighting for a bid next year so we can have some drama and a packed MSG.

MSG will be packed regardless.

To hell with the Hoyas!

NJRedman

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:01 pm

stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Man this thread has been hijacked to a 24/7 Mustafa Heron debate. We about done here with this dead horse beating? Can we get back to some team trash talking. You know stuff like “Howard can’t hold Ponds jock,” and “Paschall’s gonna dunk on Krampl like he dunks donuts in his chocolate milk,” and “Butler, naturally will finish in last place just like they are picked to every year,” and “DePaul will make it to the F4 again before X makes one.”

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen... :o

You mean something like Nova didn't get Travis, they're not going to be as good as hoped next year?

Travis who? Sorry been a little busy dusting off 2 of the last 3 championship trophies...and watching 3 of our players get drafted in the first round, and 4 overall...and welcoming in a top 10 recruiting class and one of the top grad transfers...and an all-time coach who is in his prime and in his dream job... what was the question again?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
stever20 wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:Man this thread has been hijacked to a 24/7 Mustafa Heron debate. We about done here with this dead horse beating? Can we get back to some team trash talking. You know stuff like “Howard can’t hold Ponds jock,” and “Paschall’s gonna dunk on Krampl like he dunks donuts in his chocolate milk,” and “Butler, naturally will finish in last place just like they are picked to every year,” and “DePaul will make it to the F4 again before X makes one.”

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen... :o

You mean something like Nova didn't get Travis, they're not going to be as good as hoped next year?

Travis who? Sorry been a little busy dusting off 2 of the last 3 championship trophies...and watching 3 of our players get drafted in the first round, and 4 overall...and welcoming in a top 10 recruiting class and one of the top grad transfers...and an all-time coach who is in his prime and in his dream job... what was the question again?

I think he wants to know how you want your coffee and if there are any other errands you need him to run.
Savannah Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 am

Jays not set in stone, yet. Battling So Carolina & Frank Martin for Canadian wing AJ Lawson. His dad has some roots in South Click...and dad wants to play there. AJ is Canadian, likes uptempo/fast game. Martin's teams plod/use the clock/ physical play. I'm thinking AJ comes to the BEast-Jays. Should know this week.? ;)

Most BE teams lost a lot. Gotta look at Marquette, Providence, and Butler as the teams with the most opportunity. Jays, X, and Nova as the 2nd tier (any order). Johnnies gonna Johnnie...and the rest.

Thinking Butler, as they have some experience as the hunted - Marq/Prov may not know how to behave/maintain poise, as the hunted. Go Dawgs... ;)

1) Butler
2) Cr8n
3) Prov
4) Nova
5) Marq - (3-6 coinflip)
6) Xavier
7) Johnnies
8) Gtwn
9) DePaul
10) SHall

Questions:
Will Heron make a difference? No.

Can Pillsbury, er Paschal carry Nova as well as a box of Dunkin Donuts? This ain't Fordham/A10? He, Booth, & some lightly used Sophs, hmmm. Quinerly ain't Brunson and will have an up/down frosh year. Team will be overly reliant on their great frosh Class. Cremo gets a reality check in the Big Leagues. Travis who? He was the missing piece, that's who. Nova's a year away.

Marquette has horses, but questions still in the front court...won't handle the pressure as a front runner.

Can Ed get max effort/play from returnees? Can Prov handle the Pressure as a front runner also?

Butler will overachieve, as usual. In a so-called down year they should thrive.

X may surprise...got some (4) good returnees and coaching continuity. Can they get play from their patchwork recruiting class.

Krampelj, Mintz, Ballock return, with sophs who gained valuable PT last season in Epperson & Alexander. Jays p/u a good class with PG Marcus Z and Grad SG Conner C getting considerable PT. Possible Late addition: 4 star (top 40) wing A J Lawson.

...and the rest.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:23 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Jays not set in stone, yet. Battling So Carolina & Frank Martin for Canadian wing AJ Lawson. His dad has some roots in South Click...and dad wants to play there. AJ is Canadian, likes uptempo/fast game. Martin's teams plod/use the clock/ physical play. I'm thinking AJ comes to the BEast-Jays. Should know this week.? ;)

Most BE teams lost a lot. Gotta look at Marquette, Providence, and Butler as the teams with the most opportunity. Jays, X, and Nova as the 2nd tier (any order). Johnnies gonna Johnnie...and the rest.

Thinking Butler, as they have some experience as the hunted - Marq/Prov may not know how to behave/maintain poise, as the hunted. Go Dawgs... ;)

1) Butler
2) Cr8n
3) Prov
4) Nova
5) Marq - (3-6 coinflip)
6) Xavier
7) Johnnies
8) Gtwn
9) DePaul
10) SHall

Questions:

Can Pillsbury, er Paschal carry Nova as well as a box of Dunkin Donuts? This ain't Fordham/A10? He, Booth, & some lightly used Sophs, hmmm. Quinerly ain't Brunson and will have an up/down frosh year. Team will be overly reliant on their great frosh Class. Cremo gets a reality check in the Big Leagues. Travis who? He was the missing piece, that's who. Nova's a year away.

Marquette has horses, but questions still in the front court...won't handle the pressure as a front runner.

Can Ed get max effort/play from returnees? Can Prov handle the Pressure as a front runner also?

X may surprise...got some (4) good returnees and coaching continuity. Can they get play from their patchwork recruiting class.

Krampelj, Mintz, Ballock return, with sophs who gained valuable PT last season in Epperson & Alexander. Jays p/u a good class with PG Marcus Z and Grad SG Conner C getting considerable PT. Possible Late addition: 4 star (top 40) wing A J Lawson.

...and the rest.

At least he's consistent...gotta give him that.

I think the league on a whole is going to rely on youth across the board. It's just a matter of waiting to see which of the new crop can step in immediately and make contributions. Gtmo always believes the Jay recruits are sure to do that and undersells the others. Old faithful of the BE preseason prognostications.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:09 pm

I agree on gtmo but IF we get Lawson, I think we can crack top half of Big East next year...
Jet915

Postby Novachap » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:57 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Jays not set in stone, yet. Battling So Carolina & Frank Martin for Canadian wing AJ Lawson. His dad has some roots in South Click...and dad wants to play there. AJ is Canadian, likes uptempo/fast game. Martin's teams plod/use the clock/ physical play. I'm thinking AJ comes to the BEast-Jays. Should know this week.? ;)

1) Butler
2) Cr8n
3) Prov
4) Nova
5) Marq - (3-6 coinflip)
6) Xavier
7) Johnnies
8) Gtwn
9) DePaul
10) SHall

Questions:

...and the rest.

Gtmo... here's your guy with "a man's jam"... more coming your way next season!

www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2018- ... c-paschall
Novachap

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board