Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
Yeah! How dare kids try to get an education and work towards their dreams while a family member fights a terminal illness! Those little punks shouldn't even be allowed on campus! How dare they leave their dying family members bedside to even use the bathroom!

Heron's mom may not be dealing with a life-threatening situation, but it could be post-concussion syndrome where she may require regular medical attention. He's close enough to his hometown at St. John's to make the trip if needed. It's a legitimate scenario where he could very well be granted immediate eligibility. Knowing the NCAA, they'll probably deny the waiver.

The Johnnies and a few people close to the situation feel confident. Auburn and Bruce Pearl being supportive of his transfer, as I mentioned earlier, could also go a long way towards Heron's case.

NJ, rest assure 'hooligan is speaking on what he would like to happen. He's in no way being objective (not that I expected him to be anyhow). He doesn't in any way want Heron eligible and paired with the likes of Ponds, Simon and Figueroa in the backcourt. He lacks credibility. He generally has unjustified reasons and use miniscule samples to overinflate his team whilst disparaging other teams. If you're looking for objectiveness, then I suggest to not look in his direction.

The rule specifically states it has to be a life threatening situation. Hence my point that they would be bending a rule that I don't even think should exist in the first place to allow him to be eligible. I would say the same thing if he was coming to Georgetown or any other school. I'm a homer for my team, but that doesn't invalidate my point.

And I never said they shouldn't go to school or have to be by their bedside constantly, I'm just saying they should redshirt the year and focus on spending time with their family member while attending school, not flying halfway across the country every couple weeks. The rules for the waiver state the player is supposed to be playing some part in the day to day care of the family member, seems like that's hard to do between class, practice, games, and travel, especially in this case where he'll still be 80+ miles from his mom. It's not going to hurt your NBA stock to take some time off.

I was taught by former Dematha and hall of fame basketball coach Morgan Wooten that your priorities and commitments should be 1st to God 2nd to your family 3rd to your education/school work and then only 4th to basketball.

No one cares what you learned at Dematha. Funny how God is before family though/

What if a parent has cancer that persists for years? Should they put off their aspirations for years? Your opinion and what your high school coach thought has no bearing on what people should actually do with their lives.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 pm

NJRedman wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:The rule specifically states it has to be a life threatening situation. Hence my point that they would be bending a rule that I don't even think should exist in the first place to allow him to be eligible. I would say the same thing if he was coming to Georgetown or any other school. I'm a homer for my team, but that doesn't invalidate my point.

And I never said they shouldn't go to school or have to be by their bedside constantly, I'm just saying they should redshirt the year and focus on spending time with their family member while attending school, not flying halfway across the country every couple weeks. The rules for the waiver state the player is supposed to be playing some part in the day to day care of the family member, seems like that's hard to do between class, practice, games, and travel, especially in this case where he'll still be 80+ miles from his mom. It's not going to hurt your NBA stock to take some time off.

I was taught by former Dematha and hall of fame basketball coach Morgan Wooten that your priorities and commitments should be 1st to God 2nd to your family 3rd to your education/school work and then only 4th to basketball.

No one cares what you learned at Dematha. Funny how God is before family though/

What if a parent has cancer that persists for years? Should they put off their aspirations for years? Your opinion and what your high school coach thought has no bearing on what people should actually do with their lives.

Uh seeing as most of our institutions are catholic I don't think it's crazy that God is first. That's what you're supposed to believe as a Catholic.

And if something that's going to persist for years then there's no need to put off aspirations and there's no need to get a special waiver to be closer to home.

Don't let your hatred of me cloud the fact that the waiver is supposed to be for players to be close to home to help care for their family member with a life threatening disease. I don't know the facts about his mother's case, but what's been put out there on the internet is that she's suffering from some symptoms secondary to a concussion. That does not sound like a life threatening issue that the waiver was designed for. I'm not minimizing her issue assuming that's what she has, but it isn't something that's going to cost her her life.

As Irishdawg noted in the case with Brunk he put his family first and sacrificed basketball for his family. IMO (which the NCAA doesn't care about, but I am free to share here as that's the point of a message board) that's the right way to do things.
hoyahooligan

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:18 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:The rule specifically states it has to be a life threatening situation. Hence my point that they would be bending a rule that I don't even think should exist in the first place to allow him to be eligible. I would say the same thing if he was coming to Georgetown or any other school. I'm a homer for my team, but that doesn't invalidate my point.

Uh seeing as most of our institutions are catholic I don't think it's crazy that God is first. That's what you're supposed to believe as a Catholic.

And if something that's going to persist for years then there's no need to put off aspirations and there's no need to get a special waiver to be closer to home.

Don't let your hatred of me cloud the fact that the waiver is supposed to be for players to be close to home to help care for their family member with a life threatening disease. I don't know the facts about his mother's case, but what's been put out there on the internet is that she's suffering from some symptoms secondary to a concussion. That does not sound like a life threatening issue that the waiver was designed for. I'm not minimizing her issue assuming that's what she has, but it isn't something that's going to cost her her life.

As Irishdawg noted in the case with Brunk he put his family first and sacrificed basketball for his family. IMO (which the NCAA doesn't care about, but I am free to share here as that's the point of a message board) that's the right way to do things.

Maybe, Heron nor NJ isn't Catholic. Maybe, neither doesn't practice any form of religion. They could both be agnostic or an athiest. Who knows? I don't know, and neither do you.

I'm aware (and, assuming NJ is also aware) of the NCAA guidelines when it comes to a player attempting to gain immediate eligibility, in regards to an ill parent or guardian. Technically, Heron's case isn't quite in lockstep with the NCAA guidelines regarding the rule. His mom sounds like she's dealing with post-concussion syndrome, albeit not life-threatening, but still serious enough. It's obviously serious enough to where Auburn and Bruce Pearl seems to not have any issue endorsing Heron's transfer.

Heron has put himself in place to be readily available to visit his mom, in case there's an emergency. Maybe, Heron can still be near his mom, as well as simultaneously accomplish his goals as a basketball player and student. Those aren't mutually exclusive. So, he is making a sacrifice more than you may want to acknowledge.

Just because it doesn't meet your criteria doesn't mean it doesn't meet other's and potentially the NCAA's when they decide to make their ruling. Personally, I don't think the NCAA will grant him immediate eligibility. But if they do they obviously feel the non-life threatening matter is significant enough (and close enough in proximity) to allow Heron to play immediately. Frankly, I still suspect your biases (lack of objectiveness) are at play (shocking, right?). I suspect you wouldn't be saying the same thing, if Georgetown was in a similar situation.

I recall you were hoping the NCAA would pass the 3.0 GPA rule which would allow immediate eligibility, so Omar Yurtseven would be eligible for the Hoyas in 2018-2019. It would also allow for Heron to immediate play. Guess what? I think it's a dumb rule to even consider and I hope it isn't passed. I don't care, if it would allow for Heron to be able to play immediately. It would be foolish and open up Pandora's Box, if you ask me.

Lastly, the NCAA would be doing the "right" thing, IMO, by granting Heron immediate eligibility. It'll certainly be more logical than allowing immediate eligibility based on having a 3.0 GPA.
Last edited by Red Rooster on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Rooster

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I'm not Catholic and neither are many of the students at our institutions. Heck, Butler isn't even a catholic school.

The waiver isn't meant to sit at your family members bedside, it's to play basketball so you can be closer to home during a trying time. You're narrow minded view of a rule isn't what the NCAA depends on in this matter. Thank god for that, right?
NJRedman

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm

NJRedman wrote:I'm not Catholic and neither are many of the students at our institutions. Heck, Butler isn't even a catholic school.

The waiver isn't meant to sit at your family members bedside, it's to play basketball so you can be closer to home during a trying time. You're narrow minded view of a rule isn't what the NCAA depends on in this matter. Thank god for that, right?

My suspicions is it has less to do about NCAA guidelines, religion and "priorities," and more to do with him not wanting to see Heron immediately eligible and playing alongside Ponds, Simon, Figueroa and Dixon. I doubt he'd admit it, but he's long shown his true colors for several years on message boards.

Remind you, he's pulling for--IMO--a bogus GPA ruling for players to gain immediate eligibility, but he's against Heron becoming immediately eligible (in a far more logical situation) and hiding behind the NCAA guidelines (as currently written), as a means to back up his bias assertion.

Once again, do you think he'd be saying the same thing if Georgetown was in the same situation? Past history tells me that wouldn't be the case. It's a legit situation, and Auburn and Bruce Pearl is backing it. Now, we'll see what the NCAA has to say. I hope they do the "right" thing.
Red Rooster

Postby adoraz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:09 pm

I'd say 70% chance he is eligible. Is that overly optimistic? Probably. However, SJU insiders seem cautiously optimistic and they know more about this individual case than anyone on here. In the past they haven't fed us BS/false hope, so I believe them. Also, I read that if he isn't eligible, SJU plans to hire a lawyer to try to get the decision reversed. We saw last year that some teams like NCSU were able to overturn NCAA decisions after fighting.

I understand people being skeptical, but saying there's no chance whatsoever seems misguided (and in some cases, biased).
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 pm

adoraz wrote:I'd say 70% chance he is eligible. Is that overly optimistic? Probably. However, SJU insiders seem cautiously optimistic and they know more about this individual case than anyone on here. In the past they haven't fed us BS/false hope, so I believe them. Also, I read that if he isn't eligible, SJU plans to hire a lawyer to try to get the decision reversed. We saw last year that some teams like NCSU were able to overturn NCAA decisions after fighting.

I understand people being skeptical, but saying there's no chance whatsoever seems misguided (and in some cases, biased).

The NCSU one that you're referring to is one where the kid took a summer school class at Ohio St. Hardly the same thing at all. Has there been a single case like Heron since they stopped doing the hardship waivers before the 2015-16 season where the kid was immediately eligible? I sure don't remember that at all. This would be a massive change in the course of things. I just don't see the NCAA wanting to have hardship waivers back as a normal situation, and really it's got to be all or nothing.

And frankly, I don't see what grounds SJU would have to sue to try to get him immediately eligible. The rules have been hard and fast here.
stever20

Postby hoyahooligan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:56 pm

I'll let you have the last word after this since I know you can't help yourself.

1) The point of my ranking of priorities was not religion the point was family should come before basketball. Just personal opinion has nothing to do with the NCAA rules just explaining why I think that waiver doesn't make sense to me. And why even if it would benefit Georgetown and we got a player eligible early ( as we actually did years ago with Julian Vaughn) I would still think that I'd rather the player take the time to be with their family and put basketball on the back burner while they deal with their school work and their family.

2) As for the 3.0 GPA rule. Yeah I wanted that to help my team. My issue with the sick family member waiver is that I think the players should be spending their time differently if they have a sick family member not that I think transfer shouldn't be able to happen. If Heron was applying for that waiver or a Graduate transfer waiver I'd be fine with it. Heck I'd be fine if they removed the year in residence restriction completely no matter what. I could care less about Heron becoming immediately eligible. I'm just expressing my personal opinion that 1) I'm not a fan of that type of waiver in the context of the current transfer rules and 2) I don't think Heron fits the criteria of the waiver he's applying for.

3) I could not care less who St. John's has on their roster. St. John's will still do nothing next year even if Heron is eligible. No post play and no coaching, and a culture of losing.
hoyahooligan

Postby adoraz » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:44 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:I'd say 70% chance he is eligible. Is that overly optimistic? Probably. However, SJU insiders seem cautiously optimistic and they know more about this individual case than anyone on here. In the past they haven't fed us BS/false hope, so I believe them. Also, I read that if he isn't eligible, SJU plans to hire a lawyer to try to get the decision reversed. We saw last year that some teams like NCSU were able to overturn NCAA decisions after fighting.

The NCSU one that you're referring to is one where the kid took a summer school class at Ohio St. Hardly the same thing at all. Has there been a single case like Heron since they stopped doing the hardship waivers before the 2015-16 season where the kid was immediately eligible? I sure don't remember that at all. This would be a massive change in the course of things. I just don't see the NCAA wanting to have hardship waivers back as a normal situation, and really it's got to be all or nothing.

And frankly, I don't see what grounds SJU would have to sue to try to get him immediately eligible. The rules have been hard and fast here.

I never said the NCSU case was the same thing. Just that it was a recent NCAA decision that was overturned. My point there was that SJU will not just roll over and accept a "no" decision here. Worst case, they'll receive a no decision, fight it, and we'll get ready for Round 2.

As I said, the insiders close to the school know more than any of us here about this case (including you), and they're cautiously optimistic. They also have NCAA and Big East contacts involved with this. Does that mean he'll be eligible? Of course not, so take it FWIW. If it wasn't for them, then I wouldn't be optimistic at all, but I trust their judgement and the knowledge that they have. We don't know all the details here, so I'll trust those who do.

I won't attempt to argue the specifics of the case and prior examples. I just know that the NCAA is unpredictable and complicated, and I assume the SJU insiders have done their research on this. Again, I understand not believing he'll be eligible. But I'd bet that he will be.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 am

hoyahooligan wrote:I'll let you have the last word after this since I know you can't help yourself.

1) The point of my ranking of priorities was not religion the point was family should come before basketball. Just personal opinion has nothing to do with the NCAA rules just explaining why I think that waiver doesn't make sense to me. And why even if it would benefit Georgetown and we got a player eligible early ( as we actually did years ago with Julian Vaughn) I would still think that I'd rather the player take the time to be with their family and put basketball on the back burner while they deal with their school work and their family.

2) As for the 3.0 GPA rule. Yeah I wanted that to help my team. My issue with the sick family member waiver is that I think the players should be spending their time differently if they have a sick family member not that I think transfer shouldn't be able to happen. If Heron was applying for that waiver or a Graduate transfer waiver I'd be fine with it. Heck I'd be fine if they removed the year in residence restriction completely no matter what. I could care less about Heron becoming immediately eligible. I'm just expressing my personal opinion that 1) I'm not a fan of that type of waiver in the context of the current transfer rules and 2) I don't think Heron fits the criteria of the waiver he's applying for.

3) I could not care less who St. John's has on their roster. St. John's will still do nothing next year even if Heron is eligible. No post play and no coaching, and a culture of losing.

1) Heron can still watch or see his mother without it inteferring with him playing hoops nor his studies. They're not mutually exclusive. Meaning, he can do both simultaneously, 'fooligan.

2) The GPA rule is a stupid rule, IMO, and should not come to pass. It'll turn the game into a free-for-all and would open Pandora's Box to the collegiate game. That's MY ISSUE with that rule. You're not a fan of the waiver Heron has applied towards and I'm not a fan of the GPA ruling that you would like to be passed. Logical thinking would suggest you would be all for the former versus the latter. But you're only in lockstep with the latter because it helps your team. You're so transparent.

3) I'm glad you came clean in your thoughts. I knew I could eventually get you to show your true colors, as you're a simpleton. I think St. John's will do similar to Georgetown or better. Yes, I see Georgetown doing squat, as they have no coaching, along with poor and inexperienced guard play. I think you'll be cloaking as usual from these forums because your infantile and unreasonable mind, to go along with your poor sportsmanship, won't be able to handle the losing your team will experience--once again.

I found it rather pleasurable not having to read your lunacy over the past few seasons. But, I occasionally like comedic relief and your insanity can bring a laugh or two. I'll continue to school you at every turn.
Last edited by Red Rooster on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board