Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:15 am

Friarsfan94 wrote:A. First of all, Mullinmayhem went bonkers last year about “5 Star Justin Simon” lol. This is what i was referring to. This was directed at Mayhem and his praise of Simon last year.

B. You using the number one pick in the draft who could absolutely play and take over any team or conference in the nation does nothing to your argument. He was able to get minutes. Simon (and Tucker) were not able to get minutes, that was the point.

C. The Big East is much better than the SEC and Pac12. My opinion-big east, big 12, acc have separate themselves, then the big 10 slightly behind, then the SEC and PAC lag behind.

Aside from a name who gets recruits, what results has Arizona even gotten? I’d trade with their success in a heartbeat, but Jesus, they haven’t made a Final 4 in 20 years (18 technically).

A. Okay.

B. It doesn't matter whether I used the #1 pick or the #41 pick. You mentioned conference affiliation to what a player is capable of doing, so man up to what you said. I know Simon wasn't able to get minutes, but he showed he could play in the Big East.

C. The Big East is likely "much better" than the Pac-12, but that isn't the case with the SEC based on RPI ratings. They're practically neck-in-neck. Regardless, there's still a bunch of talent in both conferences.

I don't care about Arizona's results when they get to the dance. They still have been one of the top 10 programs in the country in the last 25 years, and get their share of talent. Those are tough to dispute.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 am

The SEC does not lag behind- at least not any more. last year the gap between 1-4 in the RPI was only .0045(with SEC being #4). SEC has really benefitted with the explosion of money and they've really put a lot of money now into basketball.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Next Year.

1. Nova
2. Marquette
3. Providence
4. X
5. Creighton
6. Georgetown
7. St. John's
8. Butler
9. Seton Hall
10. DePaul

4-9 is a crap shoot because of roster and coaching changes. DePaul has some stability, which could let them finish as high as 7. But because they're DePaul, I kept them 10.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby adoraz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Friar....

Last year, the Big East had an RPI of .5772 (#2). The SEC had an RPI of .5747 (#4).

Auburn had an RPI of 15 and SOS of 47.

Heron will be a year older as well, so your argument against him scoring 17 PPG really makes no sense.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:12 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:If Heron can play this year he will be right there with Ponds in terms of PPG and talent.

I'm hearing Auburn and Bruce Pearl will endorse Heron's transfer, which could potentially boost Heron's chances to immediately play.
Red Rooster

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:The important thing to remember is that no matter what Tucker's previous production or ranking, if Butler took him, you should ignore it or dismiss it and keep the Dawgs at the bottom of your preseason rankings. ;)

Why should I do that? When have I ever done that?

I can see why you may have thought that comment was directed at you, but it wasn't. Was meant more as a royal "you" for opposing Big East fans and coaches to keep Butler low in the preseason polls and talk. Feel like they do better when they're picked low.

Irishdawg

Postby hoyahooligan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 am

Heron Should not be allowed to play next year.
1) They haven't given out the medical hardship waiver for the past couple of years. Don't see them reversing on that just for him.
2) His mom's case from what has been spread on the internet does not meet the criteria of life threatening. Post concussive symptoms are not life threatening.
3) I doubt he's going to have much day to day responsibility for her care which is necessary for the waiver when they live a considerable distance away from st. John's campus.
4) I personally don't think the waiver should exist. If a family member is legitimately sick that you need to be home to spend time with them before they die ( the reason the waive exists) you should actually be home and spend time with them not spend a third of the year practicing 7 days a week and traveling all over the country playing basketball.

I mean if he gets it good for St. John's and the Big East, but I oppose the idea of this waiver in general and am glad they've stopped giving it out.
hoyahooligan

Postby stever20 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 am

I would be really surprised if the NCAA opens back up that can of worms. It's been gone now for about 5 years.
stever20

Postby cu blujs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am

And yet, since it's the NCAA he'll probably get the waiver. I think the NCAA does that randomly at times just to keep everyone off balance.
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board