Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:To be fair, it's arguable between Tucker to Butler and Heron to SJ (if he plays) who the bigger impact addition was. The Tucker to Butler thing seems pretty quiet...so much so that I forgot recently they landed him. Very big pickup for them.

Maybe. He's much more of an unknown than Heron. I know Duke was stacked, but he played all of 2 games.
hoyahooligan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:15 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:To be fair, it's arguable between Tucker to Butler and Heron to SJ (if he plays) who the bigger impact addition was. The Tucker to Butler thing seems pretty quiet...so much so that I forgot recently they landed him. Very big pickup for them.

Maybe. He's much more of an unknown than Heron. I know Duke was stacked, but he played all of 2 games.

I think MM posted that because he wants people to disagree and praise Heron lol.

Tucker was a 4 star out of HS (#82). Heron a 5 star (#22).
Tucker played 2 games at Duke. Heron was Auburn's leading scorer.

There you go, MM. Mission accomplished.

Could Tucker have a better season than Heron? Sure. So could Quinerly, Swider, Duke, Hauser, etc. But the front runner is obviously Heron (if eligible) since he's already proven himself over two seasons as one of the best players in the SEC. I guess you could argue Quinerly too... but arguing for Tucker is dumb or intentionally misleading.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:08 am

adoraz wrote:
hoyahooligan wrote:

I think MM posted that because he wants people to disagree and praise Heron lol.

Tucker was a 4 star out of HS (#82). Heron a 5 star (#22).
Tucker played 2 games at Duke. Heron was Auburn's leading scorer.

There you go, MM. Mission accomplished.

Could Tucker have a better season than Heron? Sure. So could Quinerly, Swider, Duke, Hauser, etc. But the front runner is obviously Heron (if eligible) since he's already proven himself over two seasons as one of the best players in the SEC. I guess you could argue Quinerly too... but arguing for Tucker is dumb or intentionally misleading.

Lol this just seems like “5 STAR JUSTIN SIMON” syndrome. Kid was highly recruited and is transferring from a big name. Doesn’t necessarily mean IMPACT, and like you said, the stats so obviously end any discussion about who is going to be a more impact newcomer between Heron and Tucker.
Friarsfan94

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:05 am

May not be the best example...Simon has been a stud for us. Huge guard with tons of athleticism and shot way better than we expected. Him and Clark were huge for us last year.
MullinMayhem

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 am

You miss the point lol. He’s a solid contributor. 12 ppg, 7 boards, 5 assists. I’ll take that all day. But he absolutely did not make St. John’s the best backcourt in the country or the conference. He’s a good player, but the reason he left Arizona and the reason Tucker left Duke, seems pretty clear-they were never going to play at those schools until maybe their 3rd or even 4th years. Now, one thing I want to make understood, and this is completely my opinion, but I don’t think someone who couldn’t get minutes in the Wack12 is going to take over the best basketball conference in the country. Same goes for someone like Heron. He’s a stud, 5 Star, Auburn leading scorer. I just don’t think that 17 ppg in the SEC is gonna automatically translate to 17 ppg in the Big East. Tougher conference.
Friarsfan94

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:27 am

The important thing to remember is that no matter what Tucker's previous production or ranking, if Butler took him, you should ignore it or dismiss it and keep the Dawgs at the bottom of your preseason rankings. ;)
Irishdawg

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am

Irishdawg wrote:The important thing to remember is that no matter what Tucker's previous production or ranking, if Butler took him, you should ignore it or dismiss it and keep the Dawgs at the bottom of your preseason rankings. ;)

Why should I do that? When have I ever done that?
Friarsfan94

Postby Red Rooster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 am

Friarsfan94 wrote:You miss the point lol. He’s a solid contributor. 12 ppg, 7 boards, 5 assists. I’ll take that all day. But he absolutely did not make St. John’s the best backcourt in the country or the conference. He’s a good player, but the reason he left Arizona and the reason Tucker left Duke, seems pretty clear-they were never going to play at those schools until maybe their 3rd or even 4th years. Now, one thing I want to make understood, and this is completely my opinion, but I don’t think someone who couldn’t get minutes in the Wack12 is going to take over the best basketball conference in the country. Same goes for someone like Heron. He’s a stud, 5 Star, Auburn leading scorer. I just don’t think that 17 ppg in the SEC is gonna automatically translate to 17 ppg in the Big East. Tougher conference.

You're right, it is your opinion. Fallacies and all.

First of all, no one ever said anything about Simon "taking over" the Big East. I agree Simon's rating coming out of high school doesn't have any bearing once he arrived in school, and particularly after playing a season in college. But, it still tells me there is some level of talent there and he could (or may not) reach his potential.

Secondly, what does by him playing in a "Wack 12" conference has to do with his ability to play or "take over" in the Big East? You don't think DeAndre Ayton wouldn't been able to have similar numbers in the Big East, as he did in the Pac-12? I'll agree the Big East is a better conference than the Pac-12, but that's about it. There's plenty of talent in the Pac-12. It's not like he was playing in a mid-major conference and riding the pine or receiving minimal minutes. The Pac-12 is a major conference and Arizona has been one of the top 10 programs in the country for the past 25 years. Arizona routinely get 5 and 4-star talent, and maybe Simon didn't initially fit in or was ready to give them anything. Obviously, he didn't want to wait for his time for fear of being recruited over and never or rarely seeing the floor or not seeing the floor until late in his collegiate career. I'd say Simon played admirably for the most part for St. John's. I could see him being a 2nd-team All Big East player next season, if he duplicate his numbers from the previous season.

Once again, if you think the Big East is better than the SEC then I'll agree with you. But, it's not like the Big East is far and away better than these conferences. These (Pac-12 and SEC) are still high-major conferences with loads of talent. The P6 conferences are almost neck-in-neck when it comes to RPI (with the Pac-12 tending to lag behind the others), and each conference has an abundance of talented players. You're ridiculous if you think Heron couldn't average 17ppg in the Big East. The Big East isn't the NBA.
Red Rooster

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 am

If Heron can play this year he will be right there with Ponds in terms of PPG and talent.
MullinMayhem

Postby Friarsfan94 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 am

Red Rooster wrote:
Friarsfan94 wrote:You miss the point lol. He’s a solid contributor. 12 ppg, 7 boards, 5 assists. I’ll take that all day. But he absolutely did not make St. John’s the best backcourt in the country or the conference. He’s a good player, but the reason he left Arizona and the reason Tucker left Duke, seems pretty clear-they were never going to play at those schools until maybe their 3rd or even 4th years. Now, one thing I want to make understood, and this is completely my opinion, but I don’t think someone who couldn’t get minutes in the Wack12 is going to take over the best basketball conference in the country. Same goes for someone like Heron. He’s a stud, 5 Star, Auburn leading scorer. I just don’t think that 17 ppg in the SEC is gonna automatically translate to 17 ppg in the Big East. Tougher conference.

You're right, it is your opinion. Fallacies and all.

First of all, no one ever said anything about Simon "taking over" the Big East. I agree Simon's rating coming out of high school doesn't have any bearing once he arrived in school, and particularly after playing a season in college. But, it still tells me there is some level of talent there and he could (or may not) reach his potential.

Secondly, what does by him playing in a "Wack 12" conference has to do with his ability to play or "take over" in the Big East? You don't think DeAndre Ayton wouldn't been able to have similar numbers in the Big East, as he did in the Pac-12? I'll agree the Big East is a better conference than the Pac-12, but that's about it. There's plenty of talent in the Pac-12. It's not like he was playing in a mid-major conference and riding the pine or receiving minimal minutes. The Pac-12 is a major conference and Arizona has been one of the top 10 programs in the country for the past 25 years. Arizona routinely get 5 and 4-star talent, and maybe Simon didn't initially fit in or was ready to give them anything. Obviously, he didn't want to wait for his time for fear of being recruited over and never or rarely seeing the floor or not seeing the floor until late in his collegiate career. I'd say Simon played admirably for the most part for St. John's. I could see him being a 2nd-team All Big East player next season, if he duplicate his numbers from the previous season.

Once again, if you think the Big East is better than the SEC then I'll agree with you. But, it's not like the Big East is far and away better than these conferences. These (Pac-12 and SEC) are still high-major conferences with loads of talent. The P6 conferences are almost neck-in-neck when it comes to RPI (with the Pac-12 tending to lag behind the others), and each conference has an abundance of talented players. You're ridiculous if you think Heron couldn't average 17ppg in the Big East. The Big East isn't the NBA.

A. First of all, Mullinmayhem went bonkers last year about “5 Star Justin Simon” lol. This is what i was referring to. This was directed at Mayhem and his praise of Simon last year.

B. You using the number one pick in the draft who could absolutely play and take over any team or conference in the nation does nothing to your argument. He was able to get minutes. Simon (and Tucker) were not able to get minutes, that was the point.

C. The Big East is much better than the SEC and Pac12. My opinion-big east, big 12, acc have separate themselves, then the big 10 slightly behind, then the SEC and PAC lag behind.

Aside from a name who gets recruits, what results has Arizona even gotten? I’d trade with their success in a heartbeat, but Jesus, they haven’t made a Final 4 in 20 years (18 technically).
Friarsfan94

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board