Next Year.

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Next Year.

Postby Edrick » Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am

St Johns has finished ahead of Georgetown three times in the last ten years, its not that big of a leap to assume they will not again.

You tend to be what you are.
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:33 am

2018-19 college basketball rankings: Changes in Top 25 (and 1) after NCAA draft withdrawal deadline - Gary Parrish, CBS Sports - May 31, 2018
9. Villanova

Coach: Jay Wright
2017-18 record: 36-4
Notable players definitely gone: Jalen Brunson, Mikal Bridges, Donte DiVincenzo, Omari Spellman
Other expected departures: None
Notable players expected to return: Eric Paschall, Phil Booth, Collin Gillespie, Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, Jermaine Samuels, Tim Delaney, Dylan Painter
Expected additions: Jahvon Quinerly, Cole Swider, Brandon Slater, Joe Cremo
Why the Wildcats are ranked here: Villanova is losing Jalen Brunson, Mikal Bridges, Donte DiVincenzo and Omari Spellman to the NBA Draft. That's a lot of good pieces gone. But Eric Paschall, Phil Booth and a top-15 recruiting class -- highlighted by five-star point guard Jahvon Quinerly -- should have Jay Wright's program as Big East favorites again.

KU holds at No. 1 while Nova tumbles in updated Way-Too-Early Top 25 - Myron Medcalf, ESPN - May 31, 2019
10. Villanova

Previous rank: No. 2

Donte DiVincenzo made the smart decision to stay in the draft after earning Most Outstanding Player honors in the Final Four and excelling at the combine. And you can't blame Omari Spellman for chasing his dreams in a league that salivates over athletic big men who can stretch the floor.

Their departures change our assessment of Villanova, a team that had a chance to win its third national title in four years had those two returned. Still, Jay Wright will put out a winning team. Double-figure scorers Eric Paschall and Phil Booth are back. Collin Gillespie (39.4 percent from the 3-point line) is the next "Where'd he come from?" candidate on a team with a habit of promoting previously anonymous young shooters.

Don't forget the introduction of five-star point guard Jahvon Quinerly. Albany grad transfer Joe Cremo (17.8 PPG) is in the mix now, too.

24. Butler

Previous rank: No. 24

LaVall Jordan led his alma mater to the NCAA tournament in his first season as head coach. He'll lose Kelan Martin, but Kamar Baldwin averaged 19.0 PPG and and returns alongside Paul Jorgensen and Sean McDermott. Butler will also add Duke transfer Jordan Tucker, who will be eligible in December after the first semester.

Jordan, the second-youngest coach to lead a team to the NCAA tournament last season, should lead the Bulldogs back to the NCAA tournament with this underrated group.

A post-draft deadline look at college basketball's 2018-19 Top 25 - Jeff Eisenberg,The Dagger - June 1, 2018
9. Villanova

Key losses: F Mikal Bridges, G Jalen Brunson, G Donte DiVincenzo, F Omari Spellman
Key returners: G Phil Booth, F Eric Paschall, G Collin Gillespie, F Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree
Notable newcomers: G Jahvon Quinerly, F Brandon Slater, F Cole Swider, G Joe Cremo

While Villanova had been preparing for months to lose national player of the year Jalen Brunson and projected lottery pick Mikal Bridges, the Wildcats until recently could not have seen the other two departures coming. Donte DiVincenzo announced Tuesday that he was remaining in the NBA draft on the heels of his 31-point national title game performance. Omari Spellman followed suit on Wednesday, gambling that there is a place in the NBA for a 6-foot-9 big man who spaces the floor, rebounds and protects the rim. The loss of those four standouts is a massive blow for Villanova, but Jay Wright has the program rolling well enough that the Wildcats should still be considered the favorite to win the Big East next season. They’ll lean on returning starters Phil Booth and Eric Paschall, give heralded freshman point guard Jahvon Quinerly the keys to the offense and hope that Jermaine Samuels and Albany transfer Joe Cremo can ease the loss of DiVincenzo and Cole Swider and Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree can fill the void left by Omari Spellman.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Post draft withdrawal deadline...BE 2018-19 Prediction

Waited until after the draft deadline. A lot of folks left the BE.

Creighton
Notable players expected to return: Martin Krampelj, Davion Mintz, Ty-Shon Alexander, Mitch Ballock, Jacob Epperson, Kaleb Joseph, Damien Jefferson
Expected additions: Marcus Zegarowski, Chris Bishop, Sam Froling, Denzel Mahoney, Connor Cashaw

Why the Bluejays are here: Creighton loses 4 seniors (2 Starters) and Jr Khyri Thomas to the NBA Draft. That's 3 good pieces gone. But Krampelj, Mintz, Ballock, Alexander and Epperson all return plus add a top-40 recruiting class -- highlighted by four-star point guard Marcus Zegarowski. There is not a lot of dropoff on this team. Add in late grad transfer wing Connor Cashaw for additional scoring punch, should have Greg McDermott’s program as the Big East favorites in a down season.

1) Creighton
2) Providence
3) Marquette
4) Nova
5) Georgetown
6) Xavier
7) St Johns
8) Butler
9) DePaul
10) Seton Hall
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm a big fan of the dartboard method as well. With the =RANDBETWEEN() method as a solid backup in case I don't have a dartboard handy.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Edrick » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm

gtmoBlue is just about the only person on the internet that puts out lists that are as likely to be correct up-side down as right-side up, he's cornered the market on prediction palindrome
Edrick

Postby kmacker69 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:33 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Post draft withdrawal deadline...BE 2018-19 Prediction

Waited until after the draft deadline. A lot of folks left the BE.

Creighton
Notable players expected to return: Martin Krampelj, Davion Mintz, Ty-Shon Alexander, Mitch Ballock, Jacob Epperson, Kaleb Joseph, Damien Jefferson
Expected additions: Marcus Zegarowski, Chris Bishop, Sam Froling, Denzel Mahoney, Connor Cashaw

Why the Bluejays are here: Creighton loses 4 seniors (2 Starters) and Jr Khyri Thomas to the NBA Draft. That's 3 good pieces gone. But Krampelj, Mintz, Ballock, Alexander and Epperson all return plus add a top-40 recruiting class -- highlighted by four-star point guard Marcus Zegarowski. There is not a lot of dropoff on this team. Add in late grad transfer wing Connor Cashaw for additional scoring punch, should have Greg McDermott’s program as the Big East favorites in a down season.

1) Creighton
2) Providence
3) Marquette
4) Nova
5) Georgetown
6) Xavier
7) St Johns
8) Butler
9) DePaul
10) Seton Hall

Butler not Dead last? First I think? But I will eat my shorts if we finish 8th! :lol: 2-5 depending on Thompson, David, and Tucker. Could be really good or dangerous when hot again. ;) But not watching when the season ends barring catastrophic injuries...
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

KMacker, will probably have Butler last when I post my official predictions on 15 August. :roll: :lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:30 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:KMacker, will probably have Butler last when I post my official predictions on 15 August. :roll: :lol:

Whew! I was worried... :lol: No offense, but I love to hate CU also! (Root for them out of conference hard, but bottom 3 to last from now on IC wouldn't bother me at all.) ;) :twisted: :lol:
Last edited by kmacker69 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby adoraz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Final KenPom ratings for last year:
1. Nova
15. Xavier
20. Butler
26. Seton Hall
30. Creighton
53. Marquette (returns a lot of players)
63. Providence
74. St. John's (returns the most and with Heron would have the biggest addition)
94. Georgetown
99. DePaul

So, for next year I'd say

1) Nova
2) St. John's (with Heron, without I'd say 5)
3) Marquette
4) Butler
5) Xavier
6) Providence
7) Creighton
8) Georgetown
9) Seton Hall
10) DePaul

I'm going with vets returning having a big impact on a few of the teams.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

To be fair, it's arguable between Tucker to Butler and Heron to SJ (if he plays) who the bigger impact addition was. The Tucker to Butler thing seems pretty quiet...so much so that I forgot recently they landed him. Very big pickup for them.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board