Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby _lh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm

I want it to stay at 10 but count me in as an XU fan that wants UCONN, ND and Kansas if there was a way to get them. All three are the only 3 expansion candidates that make sense.

UCONN is down now with a bleak AAC future but things would be much better for them in the BE with a new men’s b-ball coach.
Xavier
_lh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeePhence » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 pm

EMT wrote:
kayako wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Pretty in depth UCONN to Big East article.

http://adimeback.com/firing-kevin-ollie-will-not-fix-uconns-biggest-problem/

I agree with him about their football program. If Edsall doesn't turn that program around in a few years, things will get ugly in Connecticut.

Are there examples of coaches returning that were successful? Joe Mullaney 2.0 at PC was a shit show.

Bill Snyder - K State Football.

K State was one of the all time loosingest D-1 teams in the country. He comes in, makes them big time, wins nearly 150 games in 17 seasons. Retires. K State slips again under Ron Prince in four years. They lure a nearly 70 year old guy back to P5 football, he wins 75 games in 9 years, 8 bowls including a Fiesta bowl and a Cotton Bowl, coaching in a stadium he practically built by himself and which was named after him on the occasion of his first retirement.

Quite a guy.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby DeePhence » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 pm

DanofXav76 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:BTW, for all the reasons that UConn is increasingly unattractive to the P5, would the Big East really want them anyway?

This. I still don't understand why some Big East fans hold UCONN in such high regard and would be willing to cave on what they've accomplished without them.

Bill,
From all I read on line, the strong sentiment for bringing them back to the fold comes from the fan bases of the C7. I don't get that feel from X, Butler or Creighton fans at all. I'm greedy in that, like most here, absolutely love the ten we have and the true round robin schedule. Now if you'd like to revisit that other favorite thought of yours, adding Gonzaga, then I'm all ears.

We talk about this a lot on the PC board. I would say it's 50-50 who would take them back or not.

Personally, they can get effed, in my opinion.

From a practical standpoint it wouldn't be great for PC, IMHO. New England Prep schools are our prime recruiting targets, and we have a conference (and recent performance) advantage over UConn now.

If they were invited into the BE, and didn't have to drop football down a division or all together, I wouldn't be pleased. Football schools make decisions based on (and bring to any negotiating table) football considerations first and foremost. UConn would always be a bad fit in that sense.

I am not keen on Gonzaga. Travel is brutal. They would probably find it to be a tall order to fly east of the rockies for every away game, and in some cases all the way to the East Coast. That's grueling and expensive.

I think the urban thing is as important, if not more so than the private/Catholic school thing. All our teams reside in big cities (which was one of the identities of the original BE. So the first place I would look for potential candidates (one team would be enough - that way you still do the round robin, which is so crucial to conference morale, IMHO) in cities, already within or close to our footprint.

Nothing attractive in Pittsburgh (Duquesne? No thanks). Nothing attractive in Cleveland. Dayton makes sense, but I respect Xavier's objections. Detroit? Richmond? Davidson? VCU? St Bonaventure? Please don't say Wichita. Hard to find really attractive candidates.

DeePhence

Postby EMT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Screw UConn. It's better for PC, SJU, SHU, Nova and other original teams for UConn to die on the vine. They had a great run with a legendary coach. I find it difficult to see them recreate that out on the cow pasture.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the job from Ollie. UConn fans actually think that Jay Wright & Chris Mack will run to Storrs.
EMT

Postby DeePhence » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm

EMT wrote:Screw UConn. It's better for PC, SJU, SHU, Nova and other original teams for UConn to die on the vine. They had a great run with a legendary coach. I find it difficult to see them recreate that out on the cow pasture.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the job from Ollie. UConn fans actually think that Jay Wright & Chris Mack will run to Storrs.

And Cooley.

DeePhence

Postby XtoDC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:02 am

Eff this entire thing until the TV contract comes up and our conference size matters. I don't know what the official expectations were at the start of the reformed conference but I can't imagine we are underperforming, so any concern? As soon as we come up for a new television deal and they request the Big East add teams that aren't currently any good but they'll pay us all a lot more money we'll do it, but I don't believe that will happen.
XtoDC

Postby kayako » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:16 am

Positives for adding uconn?

-Attendance for East coast teams.

-Strengthens our position in NYC.

But as Providence guys pointed out, their life is good without uconn right now.

Most importantly, judging by comments from Ackerman and Creighton AD, uconn is the only school that has 7 votes if football is taken care of.
supernova
kayako

Postby adoraz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 am

I used to want them, but not anymore. The Sidney Wilson situation reiterates what an awful, desperate program they are. Let them slowly die.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 am

ArmyVet wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:This. I still don't understand why some Big East fans hold UCONN in such high regard and would be willing to cave on what they've accomplished without them.

The only reason I can see to add them is if Fox insists. They seemed to be the ones who were pushing for 12 back at the beginning. If they insisted, I’d want them to sweeten the pot for everyone, not just add money for a newcomer or two.

If ESPN (based in Connecticut) didn't encourage anyone to add UCONN, it's hard for me to fathom that FOX would advocate for them either.

The issue isn’t whether Fox would advocate for UConn, it’s whether Fox would advocate for expansion to increase its inventory. At that point there’s a list of candidates which would probably include UConn.

As I recall, back when the new BE was being organized, there were reports in the media that a 12 member conference was under consideration and that Fox was the driving force for that proposal.
Bill Marsh

Postby gosports1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:11 pm

we don't need UConn. They don't need us. They will hold on for as long as it takes as long as there is the slightest chance of an invite from the ACC, B10 or B12
gosports1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board