Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby CPJays » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Feel free to ridicule me for this comment if it blows up in my face, but I kinda see this as ending up a dud. 50 programs will get named doing something wrong, most will lose some old wins that no one really cares about, a some programs will lose a scholarship or two for a few years, maybe a couple get the hammer and we all move on and it doesn't change much.

Look what PSU, Baylor, Louisville, UNC etc have done in their athletic programs that is more morally objectionable than giving guys money that ended up being a lot of nothing in terms of punishment.

Maybe we can brag about being the only conference not breaking any rules like the good Catholics we are.
CPJays

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

CPJays wrote:Maybe we can brag about being the only conference not breaking any rules like the good Catholics we are.

Or if we did break rules, at least we'll be good Catholics and feel guilty about it.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby FenwayFriar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 pm

It will impact every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs.

At least one of us is going down
FenwayFriar

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
CPJays wrote:Maybe we can brag about being the only conference not breaking any rules like the good Catholics we are.

Or if we did break rules, at least we'll be good Catholics and feel guilty about it.

Our advantage is we can say 5 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers and we will be good.
cu blujs

Postby herodotus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am

CPJays wrote:Feel free to ridicule me for this comment if it blows up in my face, but I kinda see this as ending up a dud. 50 programs will get named doing something wrong, most will lose some old wins that no one really cares about, a some programs will lose a scholarship or two for a few years, maybe a couple get the hammer and we all move on and it doesn't change much.

Look what PSU, Baylor, Louisville, UNC etc have done in their athletic programs that is more morally objectionable than giving guys money that ended up being a lot of nothing in terms of punishment.

Maybe we can brag about being the only conference not breaking any rules like the good Catholics we are.

This will indeed end up being a dud. The problem is that too many powerful programs are involved. If the NCAA tries to come down hard, this will give the P5 the excuse they want to go their own way. While some think that would end up in the courts, I really don't see how. The P5 won't be kicking anyone out, they'll be leaving. The NCAA can still have their tournament, it just won't have Duke, UNC, UK etc. in it. Since the NCAA has no desire to see this happen, they'll come down very lightly on the schools involved, with possibly the coaches taking the brunt of the punishment.
If anyone needs to scared to death, it's the families that took the money. While the FBI is scary, they are nothing compared to the other three letter monster that you can be sure is watching this, the IRS.
herodotus

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am

herodotus wrote:
CPJays wrote:Feel free to ridicule me for this comment if it blows up in my face, but I kinda see this as ending up a dud. 50 programs will get named doing something wrong, most will lose some old wins that no one really cares about, a some programs will lose a scholarship or two for a few years, maybe a couple get the hammer and we all move on and it doesn't change much.

This will indeed end up being a dud. The problem is that too many powerful programs are involved. If the NCAA tries to come down hard, this will give the P5 the excuse they want to go their own way. While some think that would end up in the courts, I really don't see how. The P5 won't be kicking anyone out, they'll be leaving. The NCAA can still have their tournament, it just won't have Duke, UNC, UK etc. in it. Since the NCAA has no desire to see this happen, they'll come down very lightly on the schools involved, with possibly the coaches taking the brunt of the punishment.
If anyone needs to scared to death, it's the families that took the money. While the FBI is scary, they are nothing compared to the other three letter monster that you can be sure is watching this, the IRS.

Agreed with most of this. The NCAA has shown it can't self-regulate, its primarily purpose is to increase $$$ with rules and regulations being a secondary objective.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby NJRedman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:02 am

DudeAnon wrote:
sju88grad wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Same lol. I can't even imagine the reaction if Xavier is involved somehow. If I had to bet, St. John's or Seton Hall. The rest of the programs seem pretty squeaky clean.

Really?

I don't think either of them are. But Seton Hall has already dipped their toe in the gray area once and St. John's had "Slice" plus made moves on tons of 5 star recruits (even if they didn't succeed.)

I see X as a player in this. Wanting to move up in the BBall world badly.

Marcus Lovett is the one we got that scares me.

Hall definitely had some shady business. Thats what saved Willards job.
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am

NJRedman wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I don't think either of them are. But Seton Hall has already dipped their toe in the gray area once and St. John's had "Slice" plus made moves on tons of 5 star recruits (even if they didn't succeed.)

I see X as a player in this. Wanting to move up in the BBall world badly.

Marcus Lovett is the one we got that scares me.

Hall definitely had some shady business. Thats what saved Willards job.

X would definitely be suspect considering the level of recruits we get. We also had on staff the Arizona assistant coach that was arressted "Book" Richardson for a year or two.

That being said, Mack strikes me as someone who takes the rules seriously and our AD just got promoted to the head of the NCAABB infractions committee, so that would be a weird look.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 am

DudeAnon wrote:
mel ott wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Its all fun and games until a Big East school is named.

Saying prayers that doesn't happen.

Same lol. I can't even imagine the reaction if Xavier is involved somehow. If I had to bet, St. John's or Seton Hall. The rest of the programs seem pretty squeaky clean.

If I had to bet, I'd say Xavier and Villanova are most likely to be named from the Big East. Nothing against those programs - just playing the odds. Based on the numbers given in the article, they're both in a group of 16 schools in which roughly 8 are are in trouble. St. John's, Seton Hall, and everyone else are in a group of 335 schools in which roughly 42 are in trouble. I'd be more comfortable in the 12.5% group than the 50% group.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 am

Hall2012 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
mel ott wrote:Saying prayers that doesn't happen.

Same lol. I can't even imagine the reaction if Xavier is involved somehow. If I had to bet, St. John's or Seton Hall. The rest of the programs seem pretty squeaky clean.

If I had to bet, I'd say Xavier and Villanova are most likely to be named from the Big East. Nothing against those programs - just playing the odds. Based on the numbers given in the article, they're both in a group of 16 schools in which roughly 8 are are in trouble. St. John's, Seton Hall, and everyone else are in a group of 335 schools in which roughly 42 are in trouble. I'd be more comfortable in the 12.5% group than the 50% group.

Hey, the Math is on your side. All we can do now is wait.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board