2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby Novachap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am

2018 5* point guard Jahvon Quinerly just committed to Nova. Huge get to replace Brunson. Now the big question, will he be able to play? Any suspension? A lot of unknowns but Nova fans have to assume Jay did the diligence on this. Prior to committing to Arizona last year, it was believed he was a strong lean for Nova.
Novachap

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am

Congrats Nova.
Jet915

Postby kayako » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am

I hope Nova fans won't slam Jay if Quinerly is not eligible. I don't mind this gamble.
supernova
kayako

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:29 am

Still waiting for the Big East to be unable to get strong recruits to continue its brand as one of the best basketball conferences in the country.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby jfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:34 am

Great get for Nova! Please stop!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:50 am

Here are the facts: Jahvon Quinerly would have committed to Villanova in October if he could, Jay said we have to do our due diligence first. Not only did Villanova have an internal team doing due diligence but they also hired an outside law firm. In the last few weeks it has been decided that JQ would be eligible, or at least there was a really, really good chance he would be eligible so Villanova decided to take the commitment.

IF Quinerly was not going to be eligible, the Villanova staff, who has had a great relationship with Quinerly, his family, and so on, would have said sorry JQ, I'm sorry, but we just can't take the risk. We would have loved to have had you, but unfortunately we need somebody who is going to be eligible AND they would have gone full-strength after Courtney Ramey who WAS a Villanova lean until JQ officially committed. Once JQ committed Ramey decided to move on, which is understandable, but not a cocky statement here, just the truth, if JQ didn't commit to Villanova, Ramey probably would have.

This isn't a holier than thou post, every school in this league I believe tries to do the right thing, but please know Villanova did everything they could to make sure they were making the right call with this recruitment.

Welcome to the Big East JQ!
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby XtoDC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Here are the facts: Jahvon Quinerly would have committed to Villanova in October if he could, Jay said we have to do our due diligence first. Not only did Villanova have an internal team doing due diligence but they also hired an outside law firm. In the last few weeks it has been decided that JQ would be eligible, or at least there was a really, really good chance he would be eligible so Villanova decided to take the commitment.

IF Quinerly was not going to be eligible, the Villanova staff, who has had a great relationship with Quinerly, his family, and so on, would have said sorry JQ, I'm sorry, but we just can't take the risk. We would have loved to have had you, but unfortunately we need somebody who is going to be eligible AND they would have gone full-strength after Courtney Ramey who WAS a Villanova lean until JQ officially committed. Once JQ committed Ramey decided to move on, which is understandable, but not a cocky statement here, just the truth, if JQ didn't commit to Villanova, Ramey probably would have.

This isn't a holier than thou post, every school in this league I believe tries to do the right thing, but please know Villanova did everything they could to make sure they were making the right call with this recruitment.

Thank you for this post, it adds some context to the situation for the non Villanova fans. I couldn't figure out why it would matter if he was ineligible or not, because the talent is so great if he is eligible it adds a great piece. Now we know that this has the potential downside if he is ineligible because Villanova won't be able to get Ramey, so it's not all reward no risk. It sounds like Jay and company have done the diligence though so it must appear to be a pretty good chance of high reward.
XtoDC

Postby kayako » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 pm

XtoDC wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:Here are the facts: Jahvon Quinerly would have committed to Villanova in October if he could, Jay said we have to do our due diligence first. Not only did Villanova have an internal team doing due diligence but they also hired an outside law firm. In the last few weeks it has been decided that JQ would be eligible, or at least there was a really, really good chance he would be eligible so Villanova decided to take the commitment.

Thank you for this post, it adds some context to the situation for the non Villanova fans. I couldn't figure out why it would matter if he was ineligible or not, because the talent is so great if he is eligible it adds a great piece. Now we know that this has the potential downside if he is ineligible because Villanova won't be able to get Ramey, so it's not all reward no risk. It sounds like Jay and company have done the diligence though so it must appear to be a pretty good chance of high reward.

Agree with most of it, but a "lean" doesn't exactly mean "probably" with 4 other schools still involved. There's also the risk of Ramey going to another team while Nova watched Quinerly follow Trae Young to Oklahoma. All things considered, I do agree that it's a risk worth taking for such an exciting player that's got a national following bigger than his #26 ranking suggest.
supernova
kayako

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Well! This opens up a couple of cans...a lot could be said here. But I'll take the high road and preserve some class.
My fav team in all the land...making bold moves.
Congrats Nova...go Nova!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby hoops22 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:49 pm

It's official, Brooks decommitted from St. John's today. No big surprise, everyone knew it was coming. It hurts, and I wish he were coming, but it's not like he's another Dr. J. Think the fan base way overestimated his impact. Still the Johnnies definitely need to find a replacement.
hoops22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board