Serious Question: Do You think Mullin Likes Coaching?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby EMT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Or is the money just so good?

It's not like he paid his dues in lower conferences.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Serious Question: Do You think Mullin Likes Coaching?

Postby MullinMayhem » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 am

Good question...I honestly go back and forth on this. On one hand he looks miserable at times but on the other hand he mentions how you'd have to bury him to ever give up. My hope is that at the very least he steps down after next season. We are looking at a very realistic 0-18 in a year where we had NCAA aspirations. Every player except Owens has regressed including Ponds who looked like an eventual top 15 NBA draft pick by the end of his freshman year and now looks like he just started playing basketball.

We really need to get rid of Mullin asap so we can get Danny Hurley who we know would come. If Hurley can take URI from totally irrelevant to consistently beating good power programs and dominating their league, then he at least has a chance to succeed here. Hurley would be the smart choice, but I've been saying UConn will fire Ollie and get him just before us and will bring UConn back and we will make the wrong hire...again. We are St. John's!
MullinMayhem

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:58 am

Sadly, I think the resume of Dan Hurley has gotten too strong for him to - now - consider St. Johns. He has turned Rhode Island into a top-25 program at the top of the A-10. After this season, I have no doubts that Louisville will be looking at him, in addition to any coaching changes within the ACC. If, for some reason, Willard were to leave Hall, I have no doubt that Hurley would strongly consider that job, but St. Johns would be a stretch.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby billyjack » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm

If Mullin is still struggling after a couple more years, then St John's should call Billy Donovan. Donovan's contract with the Thunder ends in 2020.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:12 am

Before Mullin got the job, insiders said that Hurley was definitely interested in going to SJ. Of course that could have changed now...especially given the quote recently where Hurley said he wants to make Final Four's wherever he goes next. That makes me think he'd immediately take SJ out of the running obviously. Who knows?

1. Danny Hurley
2. Billy Donovan
3. Will Brown
4. Tim Cluess

That's my wishlist in order. Donovan is interesting, but is he really going to leave a good Thunder team to come and coach at SJ? Wouldn't that be a big pay cut for him? The good thing is that he's from Long Island right near St. John's so if he wants to come back home that would be huge. I feel like it's a pipe dream though and way too good to be true. He makes something like $4 million a year now and we're paying Mullin only $2 million in comparison. Also read reports that he's very very happy in the NBA. It would take a huge push from boosters to throw any and all money at him as a hail mary to land him. I feel like the most realistic option would be Will Brown. He consistently wins with Albany and does very well in conference tournaments.
MullinMayhem

Postby EMT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:29 am

Billy D basically left Long Island for good in 1983. If Billy jumps back to college, it is with a blue blood.
EMT

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 am

Yeah it sounds like Hurley has his sights set on a school with a recent history of being a national power for his next job. Final Fours and regular 4-5 star recruits. He's aiming high, as he should be. With Louisville opening up and now the possibility of Michigan State following, it's smart got him to state his desire of wanting to go to bank school like that. Whether or not schools like that would be interested in him remains to be seen.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby milksteak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am

Billy D isn’t going to St. John’s you guys. Come on.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 am

Okay, okay, you can unbreak my arm now. I will consider returning to the states and to interviewing for the St Johns job when it opens up. It would be very rough, almost impossible to do, but I could force myself to cut my standard of living and eek out a marginal existence (in NYC) on a paltry 2 mill/year. The things I do for the BEast...dedication and loyalty to a fault. But only for 5 years, (2 BE Championships, 2 BET's, and a Couple EEs, and 1 NCAA Title,) as I have some important other goals to achieve. You guys... sheesh.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Edrick » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 am

Keith Dambrot seems like a good, realistic guy that St Johns could go get.
Edrick

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board