2020 4* PG Dwon Odom commits to Xavier

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby X Factor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:09 pm

BIg time pick up for Travis Steele and Xavier.

Dwon, from Alpharetta, GA, is ranked #38 by 247sports in the class of 2020.

X Factor

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2020 4* PG Dwon Odom commits to Xavier

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah, he has one of the oddest recruiting ranking splits I've ever seen. Composite has him at like #128 and then 24/7's pown ranking has him at #38. Either way a very nice writeup:

Odom’s greatest strength has to be his explosive speed and athleticism. From baseline to baseline there might not be a faster player in the class than Odom. He also possesses a dynamic first step which makes him very difficult to stay in front of for defenders. His combination of size and athleticism alone makes him tough to deal with, but there is more when it comes to Odom.

Odom is also a tremendous passer. While he isn’t a traditional point guard who is only looking to get others involved and not looking for his own shot, Odom does have excellent floor vision. He is especially impressive in transition with his passes, but he is more than capable in the half court as well. In fact, working off of ball screens is where Odom does some of his best work. Because of the speed at which Odom can turn the corner on a ball screen, he is tough to defend in that way due to how fast he gets downhill. However he also sees the floor very well, and if secondary defenders help too much off of their man to defend Odom on the drive, he is tremendous at finding the open shooter.
Overall this is a massive get for Xavier.

Sounds like a great piece. Congrats. I guess the rumblings of X's demise following Mack leaving was a bit premature. Again a GA kid. Is Steele connected to GA in some way or is there another coach on staff tied into the local GA scene. Two highly rated kids picked out of ACC / SEC country. Nice work.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:42 pm

Actually that's 3 recruits from GA.

2019ers King and Ramsey are 4-star guys...
Daniel Ramsey Deerfield-Windsor School (Albany, GA). 6-8 / 220. 0.9490. 119 25 5 · Xavier. PF.
Elias King Lincoln Academy (Suwanee, GA). 6-7 / 185. 0.9452

Ramsey Quote - “Coach Jonas [Hayes] is the one I talked to me the most, I grew a great relationship when he was at Georgia and then he went over to Xavier and texted me when I was Indianapolis and said coach Steele saw me and wanted me really bad,” he said.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:17 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Actually that's 3 recruits from GA.

2019ers King and Ramsey are 4-star guys...
Daniel Ramsey Deerfield-Windsor School (Albany, GA). 6-8 / 220. 0.9490. 119 25 5 · Xavier. PF.
Elias King Lincoln Academy (Suwanee, GA). 6-7 / 185. 0.9452

Ramsey Quote - “Coach Jonas [Hayes] is the one I talked to me the most, I grew a great relationship when he was at Georgia and then he went over to Xavier and texted me when I was Indianapolis and said coach Steele saw me and wanted me really bad,” he said.

Jonas Hayes is an Atlanta native who played and was an asst coach at University of Georgia, so his ties in the state run deep. Was a huge get for Steele to pull him from his alma mater. Crean very much wanted him to stay and now you see why.
Savannah Jay

Postby X-man » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:46 am

More on Odom, this from 247Sports' review of the NBPA Top 100 Camp:

"Dwon Odom, PG, 2020

With his combination of strength, and explosion off the bounce, Dwon Odom drove to the bucket at will and finished was the leading scorer at the camp with 16.5 points per game. The 6-foot-1 Odom showed off his big time athleticism and elite speed. He is especially dangerous in transition, but he is also comfortable in the halfcourt. Odom has pretty good feel for the game, elite athleticism, and a motor that never stops. He only made one three point jumper, so that was the problem for him at the camp, but the reality is no one could stay in front of him, and Odom was consistently the best guard on the court all week long.

Recruiting: Committed to Xavier"

This is from an article on the top 10 performers at the camp. This camp featured 100+ of the top HS recruits in the 2020 class.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Return to Big East Recruiting