Zach Brown to St. John's

Big East hoops recruiting home

Zach Brown to St. John's

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm

2017 7'1" Center Zach Brown commited to St. John's. He's a 4 star former UConn commit.

Certainly a potential excellent pickup for the Johnnies. At one point he was considered a top 10 overall prospect for the class of 2017, but he comes with a lot of baggage as he has recently run in to major legal trouble. He had armed robbery charges against him dropped, but he's still facing charges of theft and credit card fraud according to Zach Braziller.

If he cleans up his act, this could be a huge steal for the Johnnies. However the risk is that he's continues to get into trouble and negatively affects the team.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Zach Brown to St. John's

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Zach Brown to St. John's

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:07 pm

No truth to the rumors that he's bringing the rest of the band with him
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby hortle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 pm

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

I'm all for giving people second chances, but it sounds like Zach is on chance #4 or 5. He got suspended from Florida high school athletics for a fight in December of last year, then moves to the NE and commits to UCONN, enrolling at a new school. He was enrolled there for less than a month before another fight and him moving back down to Miami. After all this happens, he ends up with armed robbery charges? And Mullin is still going to take him?

Count me as someone who thinks that move is a mistake. I could be wrong.

edit: Doing a bit more research on Zach, it looks like he's had a very troubled past, involving foster care with his brother. Seems to me he would be best off in a distraction-free environment, away from bright lights and shiny objects. Again, not sure that place is St Johns.
hortle

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:31 pm

hortle wrote:http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-zach-brown-uconn-0506-20160505-story.html

I'm all for giving people second chances, but it sounds like Zach is on chance #4 or 5. He got suspended from Florida high school athletics for a fight in December of last year, then moves to the NE and commits to UCONN, enrolling at a new school. He was enrolled there for less than a month before another fight and him moving back down to Miami. After all this happens, he ends up with armed robbery charges? And Mullin is still going to take him?

Yeah, seems like a troublemaker. Given past history with Obekpa, Jordan, u would think SJU would be wary of taking a kid like this.
Jet915

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Jet915 wrote:
hortle wrote:http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-zach-brown-uconn-0506-20160505-story.html

Yeah, seems like a troublemaker. Given past history with Obekpa, Jordan, u would think SJU would be wary of taking a kid like this.

But I also got the impression that Mullin's no-nonsense attitude (much more strict than Lavin) was a large part of the reason for those guys leaving. Based on that, I'd guess that either Lavin whips this kid into shape or he'll be transferring after 1 season.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby SJUBBALL » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

But I also got the impression that Mullin's no-nonsense attitude (much more strict than Lavin) was a large part of the reason for those guys leaving. Based on that, I'd guess that either Lavin whips this kid into shape or he'll be transferring after 1 season.

As a St. John's fan I keep going back and forth on this commitment. At times I'm upset we took a chance on someone with so much baggage. But I also trust Chris Mullin. We weren't in desperate need of a center. Sima will be a junior when this guy gets here and I really like Sima's game. We also have Tennessee transfer Tariq Owens who will still be around. So I don't think Mullin takes this risk unless he really believes in the kid. If Mullin has met the kid and decided he thinks he deserves a shot, that's good enough for me until I see or hear otherwise.
SJUBBALL

Postby hortle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:11 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:If Mullin has met the kid and decided he thinks he deserves a shot, that's good enough for me until I see or hear otherwise.

That's fair enough. If Mac/CU were in the same position, I would probably take the same stance. Hopefully the worst case scenario is that it doesn't work out and he transfers, without affecting the team chemistry in the locker room.
hortle

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:29 pm

zach smart ‏@zsmart3 7h7 hours ago
Calusa Peep's Zach Brown looking focused. SJU-commit crushes 2-handed dunk blocks shot on other end
Calusa 6 AcD 5

zach smart ‏@zsmart3 6h6 hours ago
Zach Brown establishing himself in the post. Manipulating shots, grabbing boards with ease. SJU commit has feathery left hook.

zach smart ‏@zsmart3 5h5 hours ago
Zach Brown said being at Calusa, about 45 mins from Miami Beach has kept him grounded and free from distraction "I'm a changed man"

zach smart ‏@zsmart3 5h5 hours ago
Brown said he choose SJU because coach Mullin overcame his own struggles and adversity n he admires that
"He knows what I've been through"
REDMEN1415

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks god this didn't happen next year

http://slaterscoops.com/news/2017/3/3/e ... bars-again

Check out his mug shot. Damn Drag.
REDMEN1415

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:21 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:Thanks god this didn't happen next year

http://slaterscoops.com/news/2017/3/3/e ... bars-again

Check out his mug shot. Damn Drag.

Geez, this dude needs an intervention or something, might be too late though...
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting