6'6 Kobe Paras (former UCLA commit) - Creighton

Big East hoops recruiting home

Re: 6'6 Kobe Paras (former UCLA commit) - CU

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Nice video of him going against St. Johns' Marcus Lovett
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LMS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:57 pm

Well spoken kid who should fit in well.
LMS

Postby XUFan09 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:34 pm

XtoDC wrote:As an outsider this is my perception of Creighton recruiting, I'd appreciate one of the Creighton fans that is more tuned into it to let me know how close or off base I am.

My guess is Creighton's biggest problems with recruiting in the past was just having the prestige to get these kids on campus. Now with the Big East name behind them kids are more likely to legitimately give them a chance and a visit. Then they get on campus and see the amazing facilities Creighton has and that Omaha isn't just a bunch of cornfields and boom, the recruits start rolling in. Now Creighton is becoming the kind of program that can land these top 150 kids and be in the top 25 recruiting team rankings on an annual basis.

Without digging too deep, can someone tell me which areas of the country Creighton mostly focuses their recruiting efforts on? I assume Creighton has at least one guy on staff who tries to clean up locally but there problem isn't a ton of talent within a couple hours drive of campus. I would think at least one if not two assistants have good ties to the west coast since there is plenty of talent out west and not as many schools, plus those kids seem more likely to go further away for college than kids in the midwest for instance.

This matches my perception too. I think a big reason Creighton got invited as the tenth school was because the presidents agreed on the potential they had, given the right conference affiliation. Combine that with Dougie's senior year and they struck while the iron was hot.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby mel ott » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:17 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
XtoDC wrote:As an outsider this is my perception of Creighton recruiting, I'd appreciate one of the Creighton fans that is more tuned into it to let me know how close or off base I am.

My guess is Creighton's biggest problems with recruiting in the past was just having the prestige to get these kids on campus. Now with the Big East name behind them kids are more likely to legitimately give them a chance and a visit. Then they get on campus and see the amazing facilities Creighton has and that Omaha isn't just a bunch of cornfields and boom, the recruits start rolling in. Now Creighton is becoming the kind of program that can land these top 150 kids and be in the top 25 recruiting team rankings on an annual basis.

Without digging too deep, can someone tell me which areas of the country Creighton mostly focuses their recruiting efforts on? I assume Creighton has at least one guy on staff who tries to clean up locally but there problem isn't a ton of talent within a couple hours drive of campus. I would think at least one if not two assistants have good ties to the west coast since there is plenty of talent out west and not as many schools, plus those kids seem more likely to go further away for college than kids in the midwest for instance.

This matches my perception too. I think a big reason Creighton got invited as the tenth school was because the presidents agreed on the potential they had, given the right conference affiliation. Combine that with Dougie's senior year and they struck while the iron was hot.

Very accurate summary. It was the perfect storm for CU, with the success Dana had, the facilities and downtown being revitalized, Fr. Lannon coming back as President ( former grad and past St Joe's Pres.) and his connections, and Doug McB. This has been a dream come true for long time CU fans as we used to play Marquette and De Paul in the 70's and always hoped for a " Jesuit conference". Even AD Rass thought that would be a long shot years ago. We do feel that they made the right decision and hope to continue to represent the Big East well. It's a great league, fan bases, and thanks Fox Sports !
mel ott

Creighton picks up UCLA decommit for this year

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status ... 0831209472

Former UCLA signee Kobe Paras has committed to Creighton for the upcoming season, per his HS coach. Withdrew from UCLA in late June.

Dude can dunk

Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Re: Creighton picks up UCLA decommit for this year

Postby SCS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Rumors that he didn't qualify at UCLA so interesting to see where this goes.
SCS

Re: Creighton picks up UCLA decommit for this year

Postby LMS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:46 pm

SCS wrote:Rumors that he didn't qualify at UCLA so interesting to see where this goes.

He is fully qualified from the NCAA and was an Honors student. Something irregular with his SAT I thought I read. He is from the Philipines so maybe that had an impact?
LMS

Re: 6'6 Kobe Paras (former UCLA commit) - Creighton

Postby hortle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:13 pm

I will be very interested to see how Kobe plays. A local Omaha radio guy interviewed his coach, supposedly he has NBA range on his 3 pointer. He needs to put on weight but he really looks the part of a 2 guard.
hortle

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:02 am

gtmoBlue wrote:

It does appear that we are becoming a destination school...and that is in large part due to being a member of the Big East! Thanks President's, thanks fellow BE Schools, and thanks NovaBall, DudeAnon, NJRedman, Gumby, and all the rest of our brethren. It goes without saying that Creighton and the Jays are happy to be here.

I recall MANY holdover Big East fans questioning the addition of CU when the conference was born. After year one when I saw several hundred Jays fans make the trek to Philly to enjoy the Wragge-nator in all of his glory (still shuddering thinking about that game which I saw live), and after meeting some CU fans at MSG later that season at the BET, and after witnessing the consistently packed houses at the CLink, it confirmed to me what a great addition CU was for this league. Great fans, great facilities, very competitive in conference. If this recruiting is a sign of things to come, Creighton will be a consistent top half of the league team, making the tourney just about every year. Add in posters like Gtmo and Jet, mel ott, white&blue, and the rest of the CU crew, and I have enjoyed having the Jays family in the league and on this board.

Can you imagine if it had been the insufferable Dayton fans who joined?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Re: 6'6 Kobe Paras (former UCLA commit) - Creighton

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks Gumby.

However my "enjoyment" is just beginning this season...as my Jays get primed up for the grrrreat season ahead. All the teams have shown improved recruiting, with stalwart returnees, and hungry coaches and fanbases. This is promising to be one helluva Big East hoops season! Bring it on! ;)
gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East Recruiting