Impact of recruiting for the 5 teams coming over

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby augkash » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Recruiting will be a lot better for teams. I know when Dayton won the NIT they had the #15 class but all the kids left BC Brian Gregory took the GT job.
augkash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Impact of recruiting for the 5 teams coming over

Postby jkc_dawgs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 pm

This move is huge for Butler recruiting. Huge. Butler has always finished in a top 50's recruits top 3, but can never get them because of our conference affiliation/facilities.
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Postby Edrick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

This is a little like found money, but one of Butler's walk-ons for next year was just named to 1st team All-State in Indiana (Michael Volovic)

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcen ... hives/3418
Edrick

Postby SpiderFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Not that we're in the BE at this point, but one of the guys we have for next year was on the Texas 5A 1st team. Alkso on the team were the Harrison twins (Kentucky bound) which his team beat 3 times this year. We're excited.
SpiderFan

Postby hilltopalum » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 pm

like Butler fans, the main thing holding Creighton back from some of these "elite" kids was conference. Once a player made it to Omaha the program, facilities, academics, fan support sells itself. Big East will open many new doors for Creighton's recruiting efforts. It will start paying off fairly soon
Go Jays
hilltopalum

Postby marquette » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 am

I don't know what everyone's recruiting looked like before the new conference, but at this point every team in the conference except Creighton and St. John's has at least 1 top 100 recruit coming in next year (according to scout). As far as I know Creighton has been getting some second looks from some kids who weren't initially interested. Here are the current incoming recruiting classes for next year according to scout.com (in no particular order).

Marquette: 5 commits, 3 in the top 100.
Georgetown: 1 commit, ranked 27.
Villanova: 2 commits, 2 in the top 100.
DePaul: 3 commits, 2 in the top 100.
Providence: 2 commits, 1 in the top 100.
Seton Hall: 2 commits, 1 top 100.
Xavier: 2 commits, 1 top 100.
Butler: 4 commits, 2 top 100.
Creighton: 2 commits, no top 100.
St. John's: No commits yet. They are still recruiting 1 top 100 recruit.

For the potential members
St. Louis: 1 commit, no top 100.
Richmond: 3 commits, no top 100.
Dayton: 3 commits, 2 top 100.
VCU isn't listed.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby ljay » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 am

Scouts recruiting coverage for teams outside of the power conferences is more worthless than tits on a bull. Use Rivals for Creighton coverage for the time being. The Jays have three signees, all three stars at Rivals and have a kid on campus today who is the #16 juco at jucorecruiting.com.
ljay

Postby muskienick » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:52 am

Did I miss a big news release prior to this thread beginning? I thought there were only three new members joining the 7 from the Big East. IF the Big East is planning any future expansion, when were those two additional teams announced?

I'm very excited about the 2013-2014 season with each team playing the other nine home and away in a perfectly balanced round-robin Conference schedule. If the League goes to 12 sometime in the future, we'll lose that level of fairness and recruiting visibility in the schedule (even though FOX 1 and 2 might prefer it).

On the other hand, there could also be some excitement generated (along with some additional media centers established) by the spread of the Conference into attractive areas such as St. Louis, MO and Richmond, VA. The actual footprint of the Conference would be largely maintained as it is now, but two larger metropolitan areas would be added into the mix, both with very respectable college basketball programs within their boundaries. And although each member would not make an appearance in each other member's arena every year, there would still be press coverage and radio/tv broadcasts of each team's away games against the members of the other division that could interest aspiring recruits.
muskienick

Postby augkash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 am

muskienick wrote:Did I miss a big news release prior to this thread beginning? I thought there were only three new members joining the 7 from the Big East. IF the Big East is planning any future expansion, when were those two additional teams announced?

I'm very excited about the 2013-2014 season with each team playing the other nine home and away in a perfectly balanced round-robin Conference schedule. If the League goes to 12 sometime in the future, we'll lose that level of fairness and recruiting visibility in the schedule (even though FOX 1 and 2 might prefer it).

On the other hand, there could also be some excitement generated (along with some additional media centers established) by the spread of the Conference into attractive areas such as St. Louis, MO and Richmond, VA. The actual footprint of the Conference would be largely maintained as it is now, but two larger metropolitan areas would be added into the mix, both with very respectable college basketball programs within their boundaries. And although each member would not make an appearance in each other member's arena every year, there would still be press coverage and radio/tv broadcasts of each team's away games against the members of the other division that could interest aspiring recruits.

Well played. You bash Dayton without even saying their name. Look its gonna be dayton and stl in 2014 just all the reports said earlier. And as you can see Dayton can still being in top 100 talent being in the a10
augkash

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:51 am

augkash wrote:
muskienick wrote:Did I miss a big news release prior to this thread beginning? I thought there were only three new members joining the 7 from the Big East. IF the Big East is planning any future expansion, when were those two additional teams announced?

Well played. You bash Dayton without even saying their name. Look its gonna be dayton and stl in 2014 just all the reports said earlier. And as you can see Dayton can still being in top 100 talent being in the a10

Don't think so
cm5yz6

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting