Johnnies add #1 JUCO player Ahmed

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby SJHooper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:56 am

6'7 205 lb Bashir Ahmed is a forward and widely considered the top JUCO player in the country. He originally committed to Iona when his skills were lower and he was not on the radar. He was declared ineligible and went the JUCO route where he went from a MAAC level recruit to a high major recruit. Louisville pursued him hard but after the Pitino scandal he backed off. Texas and Cincy were also gunning for him. Any time Shaka Smart wants a recruit, I'm sold that he's a solid player.

This guy may not be a superstar but he should be a solid piece giving us much more scoring, size, and athleticism. If we get Freudenberg (rumors are that it's already done) the 6'8 German Forward considered one of the top Euro recruits, that gives us something like EIGHT players on the team 6'7 or taller next year. It seems like we are almost following a Gonzaga model. Get some solid recruits then go grab the top Euro players and mix them together.

SJ will be under the radar next year. Ahmed is a 4 star level recruit who appears 2 star because they never changed it from when he was only performing as a MAAC level recruit. From what I hear he's a totally different player and the evidence is obvious if Texas and Louisville wanted him.

Still think it will take all of next year for all the players to gel and get experience, but the season after next is the one we better go to the tourney. I'd also expect some top 25 upsets next yr.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Johnnies add #1 JUCO player Ahmed

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:04 am

Let's hope he turns into Walter Berry part 2. Congrats SJU.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Jet915 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:39 am

If Mullin can somehow pull in Maker or Alkins, watch out, they could be a contender next year.....
Jet915

Postby marquette » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Nice pickup!
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Ahmed has always had talent. Was 1 of the top players out of NYC, but had an up and down HS career and poss. issues with grades back then. I'm not certain but I think he came out in the 2013 class w Hassan Martin, EC Mathews, and Terrence Samuel.

The word back then was talent was never the issue with Bashir Ahmed... Great pickup by the Johnnies! A more mature Bashir with grades in order...excellent player.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby REDMEN1415 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Follow

Brandon TierneyVerified account
‏@BrandonTierney
Nice get for Mullin and staff securing top JUCO player Bashir Ahmed, joining Ponds for '16. Expect another big get, via Germany... #SJUBB

We'll get smacked this year but our day is coming. Keep them rolling in Chris.
REDMEN1415

Postby RedStormHoops » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:Follow

Brandon TierneyVerified account
‏@BrandonTierney
Nice get for Mullin and staff securing top JUCO player Bashir Ahmed, joining Ponds for '16. Expect another big get, via Germany... #SJUBB

We'll get smacked this year but our day is coming. Keep them rolling in Chris.

Get Freudenberg and the class becomes Ponds, Ahmed, Freudenbeg, and also Lovett cause he will be a frosh. That's pretty good, if thon or Rawle commit that'd be awesome but I'm not holding my breath there
RedStormHoops

Return to Big East Recruiting