St. John's Recruiting Updates

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby SJHooper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:39 pm

(2015) 5* PG Isaiah Briscoe just visited UK and was very impressed. His father has said some very nice things about SJ and if staying home is really important, he's likely coming here. If he just wants the fastest route to the NBA, he's gone to UK. Going to be extremely tough to compete with UK for this kid. We have been recruiting him much longer than UK and I can only hope that helps us. At least we are still in the running. He will be attending SJ's midnight madness with other key recruits.

(2015) SG Tanksley Efianayi is considered one of the best JUCO players in the nation and the running is said to be down to SJ and Arizona. He's a true 6'6 and has a nice shot but is not scared to take it to the rack. He is not currently rated by any of the sites, but his stock is rising fast.

(2016) 4* PG Temple Gibbs just visited SJ and seemed very, very impressed. He actually said SJ is at the top of his list and that he can "definitely" see himself going there. We seem to be in great position for him.

(2015) 5* C Cheick Diallo is the #4 recruit in the entire class. He's a big man who lives on Long Island (45 minutes from St. John's) and is attending midnight madness here in Queens with Briscoe who is the top PG in the 2015 class. Also being recruited by Kansas and UK, another very tough battle for Lavin, but if somehow he pulls off Briscoe, Gibbs, Diallo, etc. it will have to be a top 5 class if not top 3. Not real confident with him coming to SJ because every blue blood program is hot on his trail, but hey like Briscoe at least he's coming to midnight madness. He hoops at the same high school that Obekpa did on LI. He's another guy who becomes a strong SJ lean if staying home is really important.

(2015) 4* SG Brandon Sampson is yet another huge recruit attending SJ's midnight madness. SJ has been pursuing him hard but LSU has come on strong (he's from Louisiana). Tall and long at 6'4, one of the main priorities for Lavin.

After Lavin totally flopped on the 2014 class, he absolutely needs a huge class for 2015 if he wants to keep his job and avoid SJ becoming a perennial 8th place team in the conference. He has delivered before. Can he deliver now when his job is on the line? Let's hope.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: St. John's Recruiting Updates

Postby BigmanU » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:34 am

Thanks for the update. St. John's recruiting is the one I really keep an eye one (except my team of course). They have to pull in at least 2 HS Seniors from that list and the JUCO player at minimum. They also will need more players however just to fill a team. Any other lower level or JUCO players locks put on hold (non-committable offers) if the main players being targeted fall off the board???

I absolutely hope St. John's has a great season and recruiting will sort itself out.
BigmanU

Postby Hall2012 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 am

Sounds like Sterling Gibbs is gonna need to give his little brother Temple a stern talking to...
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby REDMEN1415 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 am

Looks like Briscoe is going to UK.
Lavin has his shot with the kid on Thursday, then Missouri this weekend.

He's now saying that he'll pick soon, and that isn't good for SJU. Unless it means that he'll pick at midnight madness for sju, lol yes i dream.
But oh well, we'll see what happens.
REDMEN1415

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 am

REDMEN1415 wrote:Looks like Briscoe is going to UK.

He's now saying that he'll pick soon, and that isn't good for SJU. Unless it means that he'll pick at midnight madness for sju, lol yes i dream.

and it's even worse news for SHU. One of the main reasons he initially delayed his decision to the spring was to get a chance to see their revamped roster in action before choosing. Seems that doesn't matter anymore. The Pirates seemed to have been cooling on him anyway, but this almost certainly eliminates them. At least the Johnnies have 1 more big chance to impress him at midnight madness.

SJU needs to throw everything they've got at him nw. Briscoe vs Whitehead (if he stays a 2nd year) would be a fun battle and filled with storylines.

*Edit: Briscoe was apparently at SHU's tipoff party/midnight madness last Friday, so I guess they haven't completely given up on him. But if all signs point to Kentucky, I just hope he announces soon so SJU and SHU can stop wasting time on him and get after other recruits.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Amase2 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
REDMEN1415 wrote:Looks like Briscoe is going to UK.

and it's even worse news for SHU. One of the main reasons he initially delayed his decision to the spring was to get a chance to see their revamped roster in action before choosing. Seems that doesn't matter anymore. The Pirates seemed to have been cooling on him anyway, but this almost certainly eliminates them. At least the Johnnies have 1 more big chance to impress him at midnight madness.

SJU needs to throw everything they've got at him nw. Briscoe vs Whitehead (if he stays a 2nd year) would be a fun battle and filled with storylines.

*Edit: Briscoe was apparently at SHU's tipoff party/midnight madness last Friday, so I guess they haven't completely given up on him. But if all signs point to Kentucky, I just hope he announces soon so SJU and SHU can stop wasting time on him and get after other recruits.

Im just not sold on it being kentucky. I think its storres or NY
Amase2

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 am

Amase2 wrote:
Im just not sold on it being kentucky. I think its storres or NY

I hope you're right, I'd be okay seeing him go anywhere other than Kentucky. The problem is, he seemed pretty set on waiting until the spring to make a decision until UK jumped into the picture, and now he's suddenly ready to decide soon. The only other school I can see that as a decent sign for is UConn, who just jumped back into the picture after cooling on him for a while.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby Amase2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 pm

@NYPost_Brazille: Hearing from a source, Isaiah Briscoe has been in Cheick Diallo's ear about St. John's. Huge weekend for the Johnnies. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: I'm told Isaiah Briscoe to St. John's very much in play. Only issue is whether he wants to stay home. #sjubb

Feel positive about this kids chances of coming to SJU.
Amase2

Postby SJU87 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Briscoe, Diallo and Sampson would be huge for St. John's !
Great sign that Briscoe is talking to Diallo about St. John's. Maybe on Oct. 17th we'll get some good news.
I bet Kentucky can't guarantee playing time. Why would they if they get all that great talent every year ?
SJU87

Postby Jet915 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Hopefully Lavin can land one of them. I'm not sold on him as a coach but supposedly he can recruit, let's see if he can seal the deal.
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting