2nd Year Big East Recruiting

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby 78 friar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:56 am

Wondering how many of the fans from our schools feel about year 2 recruiting in the Big East. While we all wish that on court success had been beter, I think most of us were more than pleased with the inaugural recruiting class. Friars have gotten off to a good start but still need a quality guard or 2 to make this class. I know its still early but Maybe some of the more tuned in members like Mr. "The Hall" and some others can give this topic a whirl.
78 friar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2nd Year Big East Recruiting

Postby TheHall » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 pm

78 friar wrote:Wondering how many of the fans from our schools feel about year 2 recruiting in the Big East. While we all wish that on court success had been beter, I think most of us were more than pleased with the inaugural recruiting class. Friars have gotten off to a good start but still need a quality guard or 2 to make this class. I know its still early but Maybe some of the more tuned in members like Mr. "The Hall" and some others can give this topic a whirl.

Hey 78...It's an interesting year for the BE recruiting-wise. On one hand I feel like the conference is getting crushed on the trail but like you said its early. One thing that I think is at play is that most BE schools don't need or have the available mins for 2015 freshmen. For example SHU, X, GU & PC all have at least 5 incoming players this year with SHU leading the way with 7! It seems like most of the programs are doing targeted high quality recruiting (1 or 2 4/5* players), again SHU is really focused on IB & Silva (possibly Nwanko as a backup). Last year recruiting was about volume this year it's not nearly as much the case, more about filling holes or just creating a buzz. For example SHU & Nova are hard after IB, but both schools actually should be moe than fine at the guard position for the next few years....It's a hard read at this point because depending on how many schools get those 1 or 2 players will determine how well year 2 goes.

What I think is clear is this year recruiting is not nearly as important for the league as last year. This year is about talent development for most schools. If you think about it makes sense if your school brought in a great class last year this year is about getting that talent to translate at the college level. Right now 5* SG Isaiah Briscoe is waiting til the spring to commit partly because he wants to see how SHU performs with our talented incoming freshman class before making his decision. I hate seeing BE schools miss out on so many targets this early but there's no denying with only 10 schools the conference is already loaded with young talent. If anything I think the BE will be a major player in the transfer game next spring to compliment all of this young talent.
TheHall

Postby 78 friar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Good point about many schools not needing the numbers this year. Still like to make a statement this year on recruiting to show we can still compete with the power 5 conferences
78 friar

Postby Chalmers0 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 am

As Hall states, certain schools (Xavier and Seton Hall specifically) really don't have a whole lot of spots to fill so the pressure will be entirely off them. However, I think this is going to be a VERY pivotal class for a few of the other schools, Butler, Creighton and Marquette specifically. Creighton and Marquette are already off to a very solid start. It would also be nice to see DePaul bring in a few talented players to help out what could be a solid core in Billy Garrett Jr. and Tommie Hamilton.
Chalmers0

Postby TheHall » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:40 am

Agreed, last year was different given many BE programs were in dire need of talent infusion to stabilize the league after realignment. This year is the time to develop that HUGE influx of talent. I think it's a sign of strenth to only have 3 of 10 teams really needing to recruit hard this year and don't forget MU is only in need because of all the decommits after buzz danced away to the backwoods. I think a program shouldn't need to have great recruiting success every year unless it's losing players at a similar rate from early departures (Jakaar Sampson, Vander Blue) or unexpected transfers otherwise a solid class should be able to give you 2-3 years of great play with decent (3*) additions that fill specific needs. For example I would love to have IB come to SHU, but regardless I see a lot of wins over next 2-3 years from a core of Gibbs, Sina, Carrington, Delgado, Nzei, Rodriguez, & Sanogo w/or w/o IB or even IW. We just need to add BE level talent to that group and have the staff work on developing them.
TheHall

Return to Big East Recruiting