2014 PF Tyler Wideman (Butler)

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby TheHall » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:32 pm

Watched some Ty Wideman games. His school Lake Central (IN) is 7-1 after 8 games is ranked 8th in the state. Wideman has a tremendous amount of athleticism at 6-7. He's heavy but college training will take care of that. He seemed like a very skilled player, meaning he can dribble, shot with range, bang down low, d 3-4 positions. But as a total package his game seemed raw to me. But again he's very powerful, totally different than LG3, Harrell, Bridges, Copeland, etc. He has similar athleticism as them but no one is taking a charge from him.

I would compare him to a hs version of Ron Artest. I was going to say Draymond Green but Wideman's athleticism is too legit to ignore. I think he's pegged right as a top 125-150 player mainly because he seemed raw game-wise but he has a great package of speed & size. At a place like Butler I believe he can become a fantastic college player IMO. If he makes it to the next level it would have to be as a 3 not a 4, unless he can pull off a JJ Hickson/Paul Milsap impersonation.

Recently TW bagged his 1,000th point:

Lake Central came into the Duneland west holiday tournament as the favorite and it showed in the Indians’ play with an impressive 71-45 win over Crown Point in the title game. Lake Central (7-1) came out firing on all cylinders, led by senior Tyler Wideman. He had a spectacular game, leading all scorers with 26 points, the precise total he needed to collect 1,000 career points at Lake Central.

“We are playing with a great amount of confidence with an all-around team effort,” Wideman said. “We wanted to come out and jump to an early lead and we were able to do that tonight.” Thanks in part to senior Tye Wilburn’s ability to run the offense and Wideman delivering several thunderous dunks, Lake Central crusied to a 19-10 lead through the first quarter. The Indians built on that lead as Wideman collected 12 of his 26 points in the second quarter and stretched the Lake Central lead to 39-22 at the half.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/24641456-556/boys-basketball-tyler-wideman-reaches-1000-lc-cruises-to-dac-west-title.html

In the past, the 6-foot-8 dunking machine has done his usual damage with post points and rebounds and added some flair in the form of 3-pointers. On Saturday night in the championship of the inaugural Merrillville Holiday Tournament, a miniature Duneland Athletic Conference tournament to wean teams off the old double round-robin format, Wideman showed he isn’t too old to show off newer tricks.

Wideman tallied an impressive six assists out of the paint to go with his 26 points and six rebounds as Times No. 2 Lake Central beat No. 7 Crown Point 71-45 to take home the plaque from the tournament. “Passing for Tyler isn’t really a new thing,” Lake Central coach Dave Milausnic said. “He’s been averaging a couple assists per game for most of his career. He’s a pretty good interior passer.” “He’s a complete player, and more importantly they’re a complete team,” Crown Point coach Clint Swan said.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/wideman-keeps-slamming-as-l-c-wins-tourney/article_e3e0a43e-bc80-56ca-945f-fbcc3ae5f275.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Here's a highlight reel of the one game LC lost this season. TW went for 20 points and 7 rebounds.

TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Big East Recruiting