2014 SF LJ Peak (Gtown)

Big East hoops recruiting home

2014 SF LJ Peak (Gtown)

Postby TheHall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:16 am

Hard to say any BE recruit has started off their senior year better than LJ Peak. Peak was named preseason all-South Carolina team and his school Gaffney (SC) was picked 5th in their division.

Gaffney will begin the 2013 basketball season among the S.C. Basketball Coaches Association (SCBCA) poll’s top five teams in Class 4A.
The Indians were ranked No. 5 in the preseason poll, determined by votes cast by hoops coaches statewide. Much of the Tribe’s lofty ranking hinges on the broad shoulders of wingman L.J. Peak, who was recognized by the state basketball coaches association as one of the top five talents in the classification and among the top six players in South Carolina overall. Peak, who when last suiting up for Gaffney led the program to a state title in 2012, returned to the school this past spring following a season at Whitney Young Prep in Chicago, Ill.

http://ledgerlivesports.com/2013/11/20/indians-ranked-no-5-in-preseason-poll-peak-honored/

Last week in his first two games Peak averaged 33.5 pts and 11.5 rebounds in wins vs. #10 Rock Hill (SC) and at #2 South Pointe (SC).

Gaffney’s L.J. Peak could get used to playing these Rock Hill schools. Peak, headed to Georgetown University next season on scholarship, scored 35 & 12 in a win over Rock Hill on Tuesday, and capped off the week with 32 & 10 Friday night in the Indians’ hectic 76-71 win over South Pointe...

When they got tired, we lost focus of what we were supposed to be doing and we gave up some easy baskets, and (Peak) got going,” said South Pointe coach Melvin Watson. “He’s a special kid, great player. He showed why he’s going to Georgetown tonight...

As the home team wore down, Peak seemed to only get stronger. He picked up his fourth foul with two minutes left in the third quarter, but the Stallions were unable to grow their lead while Gaffney’s star was parked on the bench. When he returned, it was with a vengeance. Peak scored eight points in a two-minute stretch, including the bucket that gave the Indians their first lead of the game with just over five minutes left.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/12/06/5480224/peak-leads-gaffney-past-south.html
Last edited by TheHall on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheHall

2014 SF LJ Peak (Gtown)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2014 SF LJ Peak (Gtown)

Postby TheHall » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:17 am

Rivals & Scout have Peak at #76, while ESPN has him at #58. He may be the most underrated recruit coming into the league either way.

TheHall

Postby TheHall » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:36 pm

On Thursday at 8:00p ET LJ Peak's Gaffney (SC) team plays South Pointe again (35 last time) this time at home and this time the game will be streamed. Here's the link:

http://www.inkbarreltv.com/inkbarrelCMS/system/networks/sc_gaffney_ledger/index.php?console=sports&id=4431&type=live
TheHall

Postby TheHall » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:05 pm

LJ Peak is a terror & a showman. I've watched a few of his games now and the best comparison I could come up with is Caron Butler. Still at 6-5 I think his long term future is at the 2 instead of the 3. He has a cbb body already and he is a killer. Although I like GU's other recruits too, I don't think either of those descriptions apply to IC or PW, I haven't seen much of Campbell yet though. Through Gaffney's first 5 games, all wins, Peak is averaging 33.3 ppg. Out of all the Hoya recruits he's the going to be the biggest problem quickest in the BE IMO. Check out his coach & an opposing coaches comments on Peak's game:

"“He’s special. I don’t know what else to say,” said Gaffney coach Mark Huff of Peak. “He’s an athlete, and he can do it.”"

"That’s a good basketball team, and (Peak’s) a great player,” Union County coach Will Hickson said. “We were just talking that it may be one of the best through our years to come through. He ranks up there. Our kids have got to step in and guard him, and I thought we did a good job in the first quarter. Then he got going, the team got going and the crowd got going. Our kids got a little flustered, but that’s what Gaffney does."

http://preps.goupstate.com/news/article/50908/peak-leads-gaffney-past-union-county/?tc=ar

More Early Season Reviews

@thejournalist44: L.J. Peak has not lost a step. The change in Gaffney star L.J. Peak’s body was apparent, adding a bit of bulk to his 6’5″ frame.

@yaboynyp: Peak showed off his shooting touch, knocking down shots from mid-range as well as from beyond the 3-point line.

@thejournalist44: Five consecutive 30+ point performances for LJ Peak, but he'll be first to tell you defense remains key to success.

@__A1Hooper: Talking trash to LJ Peak just gives him another reason to drop buckets on your team when yall gone learn?

@thejournalist44: Again, guess that's why you're happy you have the likes of LJ Peak on your team. Can create own shot, and those of others.

@GoUpstate: One night after recording a season-low (30), L.J. Peak came back to tie for a season-high. (35)

In his own words: "We practice to play good teams, so we just want to play hard,” Peak said. “We’re just playing Gaffney basketball. It’s not about me. It’s about my team. I’m just playing to make my team happy."

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/12/13/5500534/peak-scores-30-to-lead-gaffney.html

Last Game: The Dunks

This highlight reel from the 80-40 beatdown of Union is Mixtape worthy with the Peak dunks from just 1 game!

http://www.inkbarreltv.com/inkbarrelCMS/system/networks/sc_gaffney_ledger/index.php?console=sports&action=vod&id=12667

@Justinbyerly: Georgetown signee LJ Peak had 36 points and 8 rebounds including 6 big dunks for Gaffney HS (SC) tonight.

‏@flexxedUPfoxx: LJ peak is going savage right now!! ljpeak1 he got the whole gym rocking with this dunk

@bowerss11: LJ Peak just brought the house down with a tomahawk dunk on a break.

@GaffneySports1: "God puts people on earth to do certain things, and God put him here to play basketball. ”-Coach Huff on LJ Peak's 35 point game last night

@MBohlin247: On three straight possessions '14 #Hoyas signee LJ Peak finished a 360 dunk, an alley oop and a windmill per @TreyBloomer. #HoyaHops

In his own words: “Plays don’t happen like that every day, so you’ve got to get hyped when they come about,” Peak said. “We came out flat, so we just had to energize the crowd. I got to do that by dunking.”

http://preps.goupstate.com/news/article/50908/peak-leads-gaffney-past-union-county/

TheHall

Postby TheHall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Just watched LJ put up 42 before coming out of the game w/5 mins left. Due to injuries he played PG tonight. He's a top 30 player IMO! His team is now 6-0 & ranked #1 in SC....That's 6 straight 30+ games to start the season....McD AA.
TheHall

Postby TheHall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:56 pm

TheHall wrote:Just watched LJ put up 42 before coming out of the game w/5 mins left. Due to injuries he played PG tonight. He's a top 30 player IMO! His team is now 6-0 & ranked #1 in SC....That's 6 straight 30+ games to start the season....McD AA.

@deblois_ryan: 2014 Georgetown commit L.J. Peak (@LJPeak1): Had 42 PTS, 17 REB, 5 AST for Gaffney in a win over Boiling Springs
TheHall

Postby TheHall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:55 pm

TheHall

Postby yaboynyp » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:59 pm

yaboynyp

Postby TheHall » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Tonight LJ Peak went for 58 & 17 in an OT loss!!! Watched the game it was an awesome show! Gaffney (11-2) lost 94-89 to Wade Hampton.
TheHall

Postby Burrito » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Evan Daniels ‏@evandaniels 36m
John Thompson III watched LJ Peak score 53 points tonight.
Burrito

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting