Top 100 forward to the Friars

Big East hoops recruiting home

Re: 3/4 star PF Ben Bentil announcing mon, PC, Miami, or Tem

Postby FriarJ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 pm

ChelseaFriar wrote:PC loses 3 seniors: Batts, Cotton and Goldsbrough.

My feeling is that Austin will get more time at the 2 when he is a Sophomore, and Lindsey will initially be more of a 3.

As of now, Henton is undersized 4. If he can develop his handle, he could be a 3.

4, Bancroft too
FriarJ

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Top 100 forward to the Friars

Postby Jet915 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Congrats to PC and the Big East!
Jet915

Postby TheHall » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:52 pm

FriarJ wrote:

My feeling is that Austin will get more time at the 2 when he is a Sophomore, and Lindsey will initially be more of a 3.

As of now, Henton is undersized 4. If he can develop his handle, he could be a 3.

4, Bancroft too

Are either of those guys expected to get significant minutes this year...if not then the same players getting most of the minutes this year will still be returning next season, which was the only point I was trying to make.
TheHall

Postby ChelseaFriar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Forgot Teddy B. was on a scholarship this year.

Sorry, TheHall, I thought you meant in terms of open scholarships. Goldsbrough averaged around 13 MPG last year and Bancroft (a former walk-on) played big minutes early due to injuries to Council, Dunn and Cotton and ended up averaging around 9 MPG. Based on new additions and depth, both will likely see a reduction in minutes this year.
ChelseaFriar

Postby dmac80 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:12 pm

TheHall wrote:
FriarJ wrote:

4, Bancroft too

Are either of those guys expected to get significant minutes this year...if not then the same players getting most of the minutes this year will still be returning next season, which was the only point I was trying to make.

Batts is expected to be a major contributor this year and he is a co-captain I believe. He was a co-most improved player of the year for BE last year. Cotton was the leading scorer in the BE last year. Those 2 will be big losses.

The others are role/backup players.
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby TheHall » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 pm

dmac80 wrote:Batts is expected to be a major contributor this year and he is a co-captain I believe. He was a co-most improved player of the year for BE last year. Cotton was the leading scorer in the BE last year. Those 2 will be big losses.

The others are role/backup players.

That's what my original post was getting at. Out of a likely 9-man rotation, you are only losing 2 players after this year.
TheHall

Postby dmac80 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Providence continues to add to a loaded recruiting class with forward Ben Bentil

Ed Cooley continues to load up on talent in the Class of 2014 as the Providence head coach today earned a commitment from Ben Bentil, a 6-foot-8 forward from St. Andrew’s (DE).

Bentil, who tweeted out his decision on Monday afternoon, picked the Friars over Temple and Miami, among others.

Bentil is a powerful, 6-foot-8 forward that ranks 81st in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He’s got the strength and athleticism to play in the post in the Big East, and he plays a tough, physical brand of basketball. His skill level is slowly improving as well, as he can handle the ball a little bit and knock down a jumper, with time and space, out to about 17 or 18 feet.

Cooley is putting together quite a class in 2014. Bentil joins 7-foot-1 Pascal Chukwu and 6-foot-7 wing Jalen Lindsay, all of whom should fit in quite well playing together. Bentil’s physicality should compliment the lithe Chukwu, while Lindsay is a wing known for his versatility.

The future is bright for the Friars, as Cooley has completely overhauled the talent in his program. Providence has a chance to make the NCAA tournament this season, although with the likes of juniors LeDontae Henton and Carson Desrosiers, sophomore Tyler Harris and a now-healthy Kris Dunn, and freshman Brandon Austin scheduled to be back, they may be better in 2014-2015.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... en-bentil/
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby 78 friar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Someone just reported that ESPN has upgraded Bentil to a 4 star and changed his grade to 80.
78 friar

Postby TheHall » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:08 pm

78 friar wrote:Someone just reported that ESPN has upgraded Bentil to a 4 star and changed his grade to 80.

Someone needs to call them about Whitehead too, he's a top 10 player, a McD's AA.
TheHall

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:07 am

TheHall wrote:
78 friar wrote:Someone just reported that ESPN has upgraded Bentil to a 4 star and changed his grade to 80.

Someone needs to call them about Whitehead too, he's a top 10 player, a McD's AA.

And you base that on...???
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East Recruiting