VCU recruits like a BE team...from the A10!

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Per Adam Finklestein:

"BREAKING: ESPN 100 Michael Gilmore has committed to VCU per a source...Another huge score for Shaka Smart. 2nd ESPN 100 & 4th four-star prospect to join class."

https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/status/383350152683331584

Seriously, who would bring the buzz to the league like VCU; the BE needs havoc & havoc needs the BE. Get it done yesterday!

Congrats dumpsterfire!
TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: VCU recruits like a BE team...from the A10!

Postby Noonzy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Not a bad choice, but let's see what Fox and the BE leaders want to do.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:47 pm

I agree but VCU's resume is getting silly compared to the competition right now. Look how excited we all are now that the Bluejays have struck gold once so far on the trail. If they or Butler had VCU's class this board would probably shutdown. Not knocking our conference mates just paying respect for how well VCU is handling moving up in conferences.
TheHall

Postby Noonzy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm not quite sure if they fit the mold that the BE has set. They may have football desires. It would be a good East Coast rep though.
Providence College
Noonzy

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:55 pm

There are no "perfect" fits out there, even Butler after 2 final fours had a "yeah but"....Get Havoc!
TheHall

Postby X Factor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:08 pm

What would happen to VCU if Shaka Smart left for another program? Yeah, I'm sure they would find a good coach, but Shaka is one of THE best coaches around.

When you think of VCU, you think Shaka Smart.

Xavier has shown they can keep it going with coaches moving on. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, and Sean Miller all left, but Chris Mack has kept it going and is recruiting at a very high level.

However, with Shaka, VCU is going to be a team that will make the tourney and then probably make some runs.
X Factor

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 pm

X Factor wrote:What would happen to VCU if Shaka Smart left for another program? Yeah, I'm sure they would find a good coach, but Shaka is one of THE best coaches around.

When you think of VCU, you think Shaka Smart.

Xavier has shown they can keep it going with coaches moving on. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, and Sean Miller all left, but Chris Mack has kept it going and is recruiting at a very high level.

However, with Shaka, VCU is going to be a team that will make the tourney and then probably make some runs.

Every BE has had to ask & had to answer that question, that will never change. JT Jr., Rollie, Louie C, PJ all left eventually, but the BEast is still here. How many great coaches has X replaced over the years? Butler is facing that question now. The BE has always been a strong league where great coaches want to coach. VCU in the BE would instantly become a plum job, with or without Shaka.
Last edited by TheHall on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHall

Postby Burrito » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:52 pm

If we expand in the next couple of years, I'm rooting for SLU and VCU. SLU would be the better institutional fit but VCU would perform better on the court (assuming the coaches stay for a while)
Dayton has picked up a 3 star and a 4 star recruit for 2014. The one commitment RIchmond has received so far is non ranked (Rivals)
Burrito

Postby ElDonBDon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Man, am I alone in absolutely despising VCU? Props for making the FF run and all, certainly no easy task, but if the NCAA never expanded to 68, there's a solid chance that they don't even make that tournament. Anyway, the thing that I dislike most about them is the fact that their fans, after their FF run and subsequent tourney appearances, started talking all this trash about not getting in the BE, about how Providence, DePaul, and Seton Hall bring down the conference and if those three are in, then surely VCU should be in, etc. No respect for history whatsoever. Their 15 minutes of fame turned into a half-hour and it has gone to their heads (at least for the fans I've come across on these types of message boards).

I knew that gimmick "havoc" would get exposed by a real point guard. VCU had "havoc" printed on their warm-up shirts the day before they played Temple. I watched the Temple-VCU game and Khalif Wyatt showed what a gimmick the defense was. When I saw they got pitted against Trey Burke IN AUBURN HILLS, I immediately placed a bet against them (thanks for the $100, VCU).

I would be disappointed if we added them. We sacrifice institutional fit for what? An unproven public school (FOI concerns?). To get UCONN it's worth it. VCU? Who knows what happens when Shaka is gone. They are a state school with like 30k+ students in a somewhat major city that does not have a pro sports team. Their current AD says he doesnt want football, but what about when he leaves? ODU just added football. UNC-Charlotte just added football. Despite the fact that it is a money pit, schools are still adding DI, FBS programs. If you think VCU is any different, I would recommend taking off your Shaka Smart glasses and put down the Havoc juice.
ElDonBDon

Postby Dew » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Noonzy wrote:I'm not quite sure if they fit the mold that the BE has set. They may have football desires. It would be a good East Coast rep though.

Not quite sure? They don't fit at all.
Dew

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting