VCU recruits like a BE team...from the A10!

Big East hoops recruiting home

Re: VCU recruits like a BE team...from the A10!

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:09 pm

ElDonBDon wrote:Man, am I alone in absolutely despising VCU? Props for making the FF run and all, certainly no easy task, but if the NCAA never expanded to 68, there's a solid chance that they don't even make that tournament. Anyway, the thing that I dislike most about them is the fact that their fans, after their FF run and subsequent tourney appearances, started talking all this trash about not getting in the BE, about how Providence, DePaul, and Seton Hall bring down the conference and if those three are in, then surely VCU should be in, etc. No respect for history whatsoever. Their 15 minutes of fame turned into a half-hour and it has gone to their heads (at least for the fans I've come across on these types of message boards).

I knew that gimmick "havoc" would get exposed by a real point guard. VCU had "havoc" printed on their warm-up shirts the day before they played Temple. I watched the Temple-VCU game and Khalif Wyatt showed what a gimmick the defense was. When I saw they got pitted against Trey Burke IN AUBURN HILLS, I immediately placed a bet against them (thanks for the $100, VCU).

I would be disappointed if we added them. We sacrifice institutional fit for what? An unproven public school (FOI concerns?). To get UCONN it's worth it. VCU? Who knows what happens when Shaka is gone. They are a state school with like 30k+ students in a somewhat major city that does not have a pro sports team. Their current AD says he doesnt want football, but what about when he leaves? ODU just added football. UNC-Charlotte just added football. Despite the fact that it is a money pit, schools are still adding DI, FBS programs. If you think VCU is any different, I would recommend taking off your Shaka Smart glasses and put down the Havoc juice.

LMAO...your description of VCU & its fans reminds me of syracuse & its fans. Like Smart what will cuse be after JB lol? I hate to admit it but the BE did just fine with those bags & their mega public school in CNY....sign up Havoc (Unless we can get the Huskys back!) & SLU yesterday!
TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jet915 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 pm

ElDonBDon wrote:Man, am I alone in absolutely despising VCU? Props for making the FF run and all, certainly no easy task, but if the NCAA never expanded to 68, there's a solid chance that they don't even make that tournament. Anyway, the thing that I dislike most about them is the fact that their fans, after their FF run and subsequent tourney appearances, started talking all this trash about not getting in the BE, about how Providence, DePaul, and Seton Hall bring down the conference and if those three are in, then surely VCU should be in, etc. No respect for history whatsoever. Their 15 minutes of fame turned into a half-hour and it has gone to their heads (at least for the fans I've come across on these types of message boards).

I knew that gimmick "havoc" would get exposed by a real point guard. VCU had "havoc" printed on their warm-up shirts the day before they played Temple. I watched the Temple-VCU game and Khalif Wyatt showed what a gimmick the defense was. When I saw they got pitted against Trey Burke IN AUBURN HILLS, I immediately placed a bet against them (thanks for the $100, VCU).

I would be disappointed if we added them. We sacrifice institutional fit for what? An unproven public school (FOI concerns?). To get UCONN it's worth it. VCU? Who knows what happens when Shaka is gone. They are a state school with like 30k+ students in a somewhat major city that does not have a pro sports team. Their current AD says he doesnt want football, but what about when he leaves? ODU just added football. UNC-Charlotte just added football. Despite the fact that it is a money pit, schools are still adding DI, FBS programs. If you think VCU is any different, I would recommend taking off your Shaka Smart glasses and put down the Havoc juice.

You aren't alone, I agree 100%. Butler lost Stevens but they still fit the mold of a Big East school. If Shaka leaves, VCU is nothing like the Big East schools. VCU should join the AAC.
Jet915

Postby marquette » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:30 pm

TheHall wrote:LMAO...your description of VCU & its fans reminds me of syracuse & its fans. Like Smart what will cuse be after JB lol? I hate to admit it but the BE did just fine with those bags & their mega public school in CNY....sign up Havoc (Unless we can get the Huskys back!) & SLU yesterday!

Are you trying to say that Syracuse is a public school? It's not.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm

marquette wrote:
TheHall wrote:LMAO...your description of VCU & its fans reminds me of syracuse & its fans. Like Smart what will cuse be after JB lol? I hate to admit it but the BE did just fine with those bags & their mega public school in CNY....sign up Havoc (Unless we can get the Huskys back!) & SLU yesterday!

Doesn't change my point one bit though...insert large school for public school if you like. Nitpicking quette? ...you're better than that.
TheHall

Postby marquette » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:48 pm

TheHall wrote:
marquette wrote:

Doesn't change my point one bit though...insert large school for public school if you like. Nitpicking quette? ...you're better than that.

Yeah, maybe a little. For what it's worth I have no problem with VCU.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby TheHall » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:54 pm

marquette wrote:
TheHall wrote:
marquette wrote:Doesn't change my point one bit though...insert large school for public school if you like. Nitpicking quette? ...you're better than that.

Yeah, maybe a little. For what it's worth I have no problem with VCU.

Wiki:
"Syracuse University, commonly referred to as Syracuse, 'Cuse, or SU,[5] is a private research university located in Syracuse, New York, United States"

Damn it! Well played sir!
TheHall

Postby ChelseaFriar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 pm

X Factor wrote:
Xavier has shown they can keep it going with coaches moving on. Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, and Sean Miller all left, but Chris Mack has kept it going and is recruiting at a very high level.

And this guy!

ChelseaFriar

Postby yorost » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:35 am

I don't want VCU for Shaka or havoc, you add programs, but if Shaka stays for another couple of years they should be well enough established progra that they can have enough cards for searching for a coach successfully. Maybe they are a touch short now of that status, but they aren't far from it. Everything Shaka does there beefs up VCU as much as it does Shaka.

Havoc will improve as Shaka gets better players, if he fills a roster with a bunch of 4-star athletes it will be a lot harder to expose. Every system has pros and cons, just because havoc has places to attack it doesn't mean it is a gimmick. Other teams have to beat it, it could work fabulously in the Big East if the refs continue to allow more physical play.

VCU is the best bet we have as a possibility, in my opinion. They've invested int heir program and have been steadily climbing for years. Yeah, they have some annoying fans, but that's different than any other fan base, how?

Jet915 wrote:You aren't alone, I agree 100%. Butler lost Stevens but they still fit the mold of a Big East school. If Shaka leaves, VCU is nothing like the Big East schools. VCU should join the AAC.

Nothing like? Public vs private isn't that amazing of a differentiator

Burrito wrote:If we expand in the next couple of years, I'm rooting for SLU and VCU.
I'm with ya.
yorost

Postby Bulldawg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 pm

I went to the 2011 Final Four, and as a Butler fan, I just was disgusted at the way some VCU fans conducted themselves. And even last season in the A10 VCU thought they had so much to prove against Butler as if we were rivals for beating them once. I don't like Shaka Smart, and I just don't like the program, I respect what they have accomplished, but if they join the Big East, I'm going to be horrified.
Butler Basketball baby!
Bulldawg

Postby ChelseaFriar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm not really for or against VCU, but they were pretty solid under Grant and Capel before Shaka came along, right?
ChelseaFriar

PreviousNext

Return to Big East Recruiting