Be patient Creighton fans...

Big East hoops recruiting home

Postby TheHall » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Saw this article over at Bluejays Today about Creighton's lack of success on the recruiting trail so far this off-season and this was written before JP Macura choose X over the Jays.

"But as the program heads into the second full week of September, the Bluejays have yet to receive a commitment from a player for the recruiting class of 2014. Coach Greg McDermott said there’s no reason to panic, that he and his staff knew this process would take time. Rome wasn’t built in a day,” assistant coach Patrick Sellers said...Yet one detects at least a tinge of disappointment as the coaches talk about the impact of the new Big East on Creighton’s recruiting. They are finding themselves still pedaling uphill until the Bluejays at least start bouncing basketballs in Big East games or their new practice facility is more than just a beehive of construction activity."

“Until kids see us playing on TV on Fox Sports 1, and until kids can walk into that new practice facility and are able to shoot baskets and see the unbelievable locker room and team room and weight room and academic facility, it’s a lot of hot air being tossed around,” assistant coach Steve Lutz said. “It’s the American way: Kids want to smell it and feel it and kick the tires.”

I always thought Creighton's bump in recruiting would come next year after they won a lot of games and received national press/exposure as a BIG EAST team this year. This seems to be the attitude of the coaching staff as well:

"Sellers is convinced that will happen, that players can be found without sacrificing the program’s principles. "We’re going to get some good players,” he said. “Our main core has always been the Midwest, but I think we’re going to get some guys from the east and from out west. We’re going to get our share of good players. It’s just going to take some time. Once guys start seeing who we are and where we are and our fan base, this thing is going to take off. People still don’t know a lot about us. They still have the same kind of stereotypes about Nebraska that I had when I came here. That’s going to change."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130907/BLUEJAYS/130908871

Great read...
TheHall

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Be patient Creighton fans...

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Yeah, alot of Creighton fans including myself have had some disappointment so far with our 2014 recruiting. I think most of us are just a little impatient. There is a big question mark if Coach Mac and staff can recruit "Big East" level talent. He recruited some NBA talent while at ISU but it was a mixed bag and some of the players were not "high character" let's just say. So far we've missed out on a couple of our top targets (Casey Benson, JP Macura). 2015 will be key for us as we have 5 open scholarships and will be in the Big East for a couple of years by then. Was just hoping that we can get a good 2014 class but that remains to be seen...
Jet915

Postby TheHall » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Jet915 wrote:Yeah, alot of Creighton fans including myself have had some disappointment so far with our 2014 recruiting. I think most of us are just a little impatient. There is a big question mark if Coach Mac and staff can recruit "Big East" level talent. He recruited some NBA talent while at ISU but it was a mixed bag. So far we've missed out on a couple of our top targets (Casey Benson, JP Macura). 2015 will be key for us as we have 5 open scholarships and will be in the Big East for a couple of years by then. Was just hoping that we can get a good 2014 class but that remains to be seen...

You're not alone, Willard is facing that pressure at SHU as well even though Delgado's recent signing helped a lot. I believe Miller will be facing that question at Butler, just as Stevens would've been and Purnell at Depaul too. Happy hunting!
TheHall

Postby Jet915 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Agreed although getting Delgado probably bought Willard a couple years....
Jet915

Postby TheHall » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Jet915 wrote:Agreed although getting Delgado probably bought Willard a couple years....

Yeah it could if Delgado makes it to campus..I don't have any reason to say he won't but given that Aquille "The Crimestopper" Carr, Willard's original program savior never made it to campus I'm just waiting patiently.
TheHall

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Josh Cunningham who is #80 in the Rivals 150 will be on campus this weekend. Also, Creighton fans are dying for some word from Leon Gilmore out of Texas who has said Creighton is a leader but has since taken officials to Houston and texas tech.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 am

Omaha1 wrote:Josh Cunningham who is #80 in the Rivals 150 will be on campus this weekend. Also, Creighton fans are dying for some word from Leon Gilmore out of Texas who has said Creighton is a leader but has since taken officials to Houston and texas tech.

Cunningham had a good visit per rivals and Gilmore set to announce today. Hoping CU gets some momentum with these guys!
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby billyjack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 am

Creighton this season will become a household name nationwide. POY candidate, Big East exposure, Top-20 ranking, Elite-8 run. The quote in the article even basically says this--> recruiting will feed off this year's success and exposure on Fox and in New York. With the struggles in the Big-12 outside of Kansas, Creighton should start owning the whole Great Plains recruiting-wise. Within 3 years, Creighton will be in exclusive 3-way battles for recruits with Bill Self and Travis Ford... within 6 years, it'll just be Creighton and Kansas fighting it out (Travis Ford will be gone from OSU). No other Big-12 school besides KU, and no west end Big Ten school at all (Pitino Jr will be gone from Minn by then) will be as appealing as Creighton.
Providence
billyjack

Postby jayball » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 am

I like the way you think Billyjack.

I agree that we have a lot to sell and I'm excited to see what kind of talent we can bring with with the Big East name on our chest now.

Practice starts Friday!!!
jayball

Postby TheHall » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 am

It seems like the Bluejay coaching staff was also having major difficulty being patient on the recruiting trail this summer. Here's LG3 describing his call to the staff confirming his commitment to Creighton:
Everybody was really happy... Coach was like ‘I can finally sleep now,’ and everybody was just really excited,” Gilmore said of Creighton’s reaction to the news of his decision.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1611

Lol! Awesome reax...The pressure of big time recruiting is a BEast.
TheHall

Next

Return to Big East Recruiting