ESPN Top 100 #32 Jalen Lindsey to.......

Big East hoops recruiting home

Re: ESPN Top 100 #32 Jalen Lindsey to.......

Postby yorost » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
BEX wrote:77% of NBA were 3 stars or less.

I call BS on this. I'd venture to say it is the other way around.

Even if it is true, it doesn't even come close invalidating recruit rankings.

What might be telling would be to show that 5 stars don't have a better chance of getting in than 4 stars and 4 stars don't have a better chance of getting in than 3 stars. There just are a lot more 3 stars to go around than 4 stars, and more 4 stars than 5 stars. To show rankings don't matter for the NBA you have to eliminate correlation between success (in NBA, in any pro league, minutes played, money made, etc.) and ranking position.

People can find 'errors' in recruit rankings all day, all night, all year, but it'll never be more than testimonial evidence (next to worthless) against the rankings.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby aughnanure » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 am

Jet915 wrote:

Not sure that means much, how many 4 and 5 stars are there? Maybe like 100 a year? I'm sure a higher percentage of them get into the NBA compared to everyone else...

You mean not sure that's true. Cause it's not. At all.

And also, no one would ever make a study like that and just use the generic "3 star" label. Not all outlets use stars, or use them in the same way, or have the same delineation between 5, 4, and 3 stars. They would use the RSCI rankings.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:02 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

I call BS on this. I'd venture to say it is the other way around.

I did some digging... From the Top 100 classes 2006 - 2010, 104 NBA players (on active rosters) were produced. If there are roughly 400 NBA players, then according to your statement there would be 300 or so players who were "3 star or less." In just a snapshot of 5 years I've shown that your statement is way off. I'd guess that there are about 75-100 foreign players in the league as well so we're talking about a pool of 300-325 locally grown players. If I went back another 5 years or so I bet I would find another 75-100. Another 5 from that, probably 30-50 more.

The bottom line is, although not perfect, the HS rankings are about as good a list of determining future success as there is. And if your school can grab these 4-5 star players, your chances of success increases. Are there misses? Absolutely. Are there guys who develop late. Sure. But I would guess that since Marq, Gtwn, Nova, SJU and Prov has seemed to have done the best in recruiting these types of players over the last couple of years, I would bet that they will be near the top of the league in the next 3-4 years. Just a blind hunch on my end...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DeePhence » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 pm

As a Friar fan, am really happy to have Creighton in the league. Always admired that program. They beat us twice in a home-and-home, and your fan support is amazing. Distance is the only thing about Creighton I don't like. Good teams in the BE will have to navigate that road trip well. Hope the distance the other way isn't a permanent burden for you guys.

Regarding your recruiting - you have a great league on your side now (as we all do!) and I would bet the coach is as important as the location. Ganzaga has made a pretty nice living off of Northwest kids and I'm sure you can keep mid-west talent home and get the occasional out-of-towner. If your coach and his staff work their asses off and have a good story to sell well, you'll do well. We are discovering this with Cooley at PC now. We have landed top fifty guys three years in a row now and the rest of the recruiting has gotten better and better - not just the big signings.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby yorost » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Marquette got a commitment today from 2014 ESPN #70 Sandy Cohen, from the Green Bay area.

Chief Cohen ▲ @SandyCohenIII 2h Officially committed to Marquette it has been my dream since I can remember! Making dreams a reality #MUBB
yorost

Postby marquette » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:53 pm

yorost wrote:Marquette got a commitment today from 2014 ESPN #70 Sandy Cohen, from the Green Bay area.

Chief Cohen ▲ @SandyCohenIII 2h Officially committed to Marquette it has been my dream since I can remember! Making dreams a reality #MUBB

Definitely happy to have him. He seems to really love the school too, which is a definite plus.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Jet915 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Congrats to Marquette, another top 100 recruit for the Big East!
Jet915

Postby marquette » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 pm

As long as we are on the topic, it's obviously really early but the new conference has 5 teams in the top 30 recruiting classes for 2014.

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Basket ... amRankings
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby TheHall » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

ESPiN hating on Lindsey:

@WayneSuretzky: @PaulBiancardi why did Jalen Lindsey plummet in the espn100 all the way down to 73rd?

PaulBiancardi: ...Athletes sometimes get highly publicized at a young age based on their physical size along with their ability to stand out using their physical tools and skill or basketball IQ...Specifically for Lindsey, his ball-handing did not improve at the rate we hoped for and at times he did not play with the same intensity we saw at a younger stage of his career. For any player, if their performance and production lessen, it's likely they will drop out of any rankings.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/6210/askcoachb-2

He tries to clean it up later in the response, but negative press always outweighs blanket positive reassurance.

Prove the doubters wrong JL!

TheHall

PreviousNext

Return to Big East Recruiting