BE vs. MVC, Volleyball

The home for Big East Womens Athletics

BE vs. MVC, Volleyball

Postby JayPak » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:13 pm

When Creighton's Big East move was announced, the general consensus in Omaha was that the move would be great for the basketball and soccer programs and detrimental to the volleyball and baseball programs, a comment on the relative strength of the Big East vs. Missouri Valley conferences in those sports. I'm pleased to report that, this year, the Big East has surpassed expectations in volleyball and is MUCH stronger than the MVC. Creighton will benefit from the move this season thanks to the overall strength of the Big East, which looks like a 3-4 bid league, if the top teams can dominate conference play.

Volleyball RPI as of today

1. Creighton (6 in RPI) vs. Wichita St. (37)
2. Marquette (35) vs. Missouri St. (40)
3. Butler (39) vs. ISUred (84)
4. Xavier (87) vs. Northern Iowa (90)
5. Villanova (99) vs. Loyola (153)
6. DePaul (114) vs. Southern Illinois (171)
7. Seton Hall (133) vs. Evansville (215)
8. St. John's (164) vs. Bradley (217)
9. Georgetown (177) vs. ISUblue (275)
10. No Big East team (Providence plays vb in America East Conference) vs. Drake (299)

Median RPI -- Big East 99, MVC 153
Average RPI -- Big East 95, MVC 158
Top 100 teams -- Big East 5, MVC 4

RPI source -- http://ohiomcginn.dyndns-at-home.com/ncaastats/volleyball-rpi.cgi#
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined." Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak

BE vs. MVC, Volleyball

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: BE vs. MVC, Volleyball

Postby marquette » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm

That's pretty cool. Sorry Marquette isn't really helping on the baseball front, but we are making pretty decent strides in our non-basketball sports. I have to get out to one of these volleyball games, they're giving away a free PS4 at the end of the season and you have to go to get entered. Plus volleyball girls are almost as awesome as soccer girls.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby Sactowndog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 pm

JayPak wrote:When Creighton's Big East move was announced, the general consensus in Omaha was that the move would be great for the basketball and soccer programs and detrimental to the volleyball and baseball programs, a comment on the relative strength of the Big East vs. Missouri Valley conferences in those sports. I'm pleased to report that, this year, the Big East has surpassed expectations in volleyball and is MUCH stronger than the MVC. Creighton will benefit from the move this season thanks to the overall strength of the Big East, which looks like a 3-4 bid league, if the top teams can dominate conference play.

Volleyball RPI as of today

1. Creighton (6 in RPI) vs. Wichita St. (37)
2. Marquette (35) vs. Missouri St. (40)
3. Butler (39) vs. ISUred (84)
4. Xavier (87) vs. Northern Iowa (90)
5. Villanova (99) vs. Loyola (153)
6. DePaul (114) vs. Southern Illinois (171)
7. Seton Hall (133) vs. Evansville (215)
8. St. John's (164) vs. Bradley (217)
9. Georgetown (177) vs. ISUblue (275)
10. No Big East team (Providence plays vb in America East Conference) vs. Drake (299)

Median RPI -- Big East 99, MVC 153
Average RPI -- Big East 95, MVC 158
Top 100 teams -- Big East 5, MVC 4

RPI source -- http://ohiomcginn.dyndns-at-home.com/ncaastats/volleyball-rpi.cgi#

Well Creighton just fell to Butler 3-1.
Sactowndog

Postby JayPak » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Good win for Butler, which impressed me by outblocking Creighton. CU made a lot of uncharacteristic errors, probably due to not having played in 12 days.
Butler is a good team. We will find out how good when they start playing on the road. Out of 19 matches, Butler's played just 2 true roadies!
I was disappointed to see that Butler drew just 329 fans for a game vs. the nation's #22 ranked team.
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined." Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak

Return to Big East Women's Athletics