Providence Volleyball not in Big East?

The home for Big East Womens Athletics

Postby gmoser1210 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Can anyone tell me why Providence's women's volleyball team competes in the Am. East instead of the Big East? I think it's a little odd that a school offers a sport sponsored by the conference, but it doesn't compete in the conference.
Butler Bulldogs
'62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13, '15, '16, '17, '18
'33, '34, '47, '52, '53, '59, '61, 62, '97, '98, '00, '01, '02, '03, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11
gmoser1210

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Non-Rev Rumors

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:22 pm

gmoser1210 wrote:Can anyone tell me why Providence's women's volleyball team competes in the Am. East instead of the Big East? I think it's a little odd that a school offers a sport sponsored by the conference, but it doesn't compete in the conference.

I asked this awhile back and it seems like the answer is that they cannot afford to offer scholarships for volleyball at this time which to me seems really lame.
Jet915

Postby JOPO » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Jet915 wrote:
gmoser1210 wrote:Can anyone tell me why Providence's women's volleyball team competes in the Am. East instead of the Big East? I think it's a little odd that a school offers a sport sponsored by the conference, but it doesn't compete in the conference.

I asked this awhile back and it seems like the answer is that they cannot afford to offer scholarships for volleyball at this time which to me seems really lame.

With the Fox deal in place that should give Providence the money they need to do right by their volleyball team.
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Providence

Postby DeltaV » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Jet915 wrote:

Mens Swimming & Diving at Nova is non-scholarship, we still played with the big boys. Usually got our asses handed to us, but it didn't stop us.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby Sactowndog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 am

Jet915 wrote:

I think it is also the Creighton's and Marquettes of the world don't want their RPI on their schedule. Currently Providence's RPI is in the 300's. Add in the bad RPI of Georgetown and DePaul and it will affect the seeding ability come NCAA time and the ability of a third team getting an at large bid.

My guess is Providence will stay in the Am. East until they fully fund the team and
Get their RPI up to at least the low 200's. This conference really needs to add someone with a good Women's Volleyball team or the programs in Marquette and Creighton will suffer.
Sactowndog

Re: Providence Volleyball not in Big East?

Postby ChelseaFriar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:42 am

Volleyball in the Northeast is generally very bad at all levels.

Assuming they will not have both, many Friar fans believe PC should cut Volleyball and add Women's Lacrosse. They feel that PC, based on talent pools in the NY/NJ and New England regions, would have a much better chance at fielding a solid lacrosse team.
ChelseaFriar

Postby JOPO » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:14 am

ChelseaFriar wrote:Volleyball in the Northeast is generally very bad at all levels.

Assuming they will not have both, many Friar fans believe PC should cut Volleyball and add Women's Lacrosse. They feel that PC, based on talent pools in the NY/NJ and New England regions, would have a much better chance at fielding a solid lacrosse team.

I would love to see Seton Hall add both men's and women's lacrosse (not to mention bringing back both of our indoor and outdoor track squads). However, I do not want to see this at the expense of our women's volleyball team which as progressed nicely over the years.
JOPO

Postby ChelseaFriar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:09 pm

JOPO wrote:
ChelseaFriar wrote:Volleyball in the Northeast is generally very bad at all levels.

I would love to see Seton Hall add both men's and women's lacrosse (not to mention bringing back both of our indoor and outdoor track squads). However, I do not want to see this at the expense of our women's volleyball team which as progressed nicely over the years.

I guess it depends on what you want out of your programs and what sports you like. I'm confident that SH would have a better chance at having a women's lax team in the Top 25 than they do a volleyball team. I could be wrong, but just a guess based on geography.

Not one team in the Top 25 or Receiving Votes from the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic region. Penn State is the closest.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1
ChelseaFriar

Postby FriarJ » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm

This subject goes way back till the poster child for what's wrong with Title IX which was the BE Champion Providence Men's baseball team that was shutdown. Women's volleyball became a non scholarship program at the same time I believe. Truly the worst story about Title IX

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/sports/baseball-the-other-side-of-title-ix.html
FriarJ

Postby JOPO » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:59 pm

FriarJ wrote:This subject goes way back till the poster child for what's wrong with Title IX which was the BE Champion Providence Men's baseball team that was shutdown. Women's volleyball became a non scholarship program at the same time I believe. Truly the worst story about Title IX

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/sports/baseball-the-other-side-of-title-ix.html

That was really sad when the Friars had to drop baseball; I really felt bad for your guys. Title IX has really hurt men's Olympic sports.
JOPO

Next

Return to Big East Women's Athletics