Providence Volleyball not in Big East?

The home for Big East Womens Athletics

Re: Providence Volleyball not in Big East?

Postby Sactowndog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 pm

JOPO wrote:
FriarJ wrote:This subject goes way back till the poster child for what's wrong with Title IX which was the BE Champion Providence Men's baseball team that was shutdown. Women's volleyball became a non scholarship program at the same time I believe. Truly the worst story about Title IX

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/sports/baseball-the-other-side-of-title-ix.html

That was really sad when the Friars had to drop baseball; I really felt bad for your guys. Title IX has really hurt men's Olympic sports.

While I have my reservations about Title IX; the problem is as much as with the arms race in basketball and football as it is with Title IX. The NCAA needs an expense cap on revenue sports.
Sactowndog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gosports1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:34 pm

i think i read that part of the masterplan of PC is to fully fund volleyball. not sure of the timetable. Mens lax is undergoing an increase as well. Most of the facilities at PC have recently or will shortly be remodelled/upgraded or actually created
gosports1

Postby bostonfriar » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Some years ago PC had a few fully funded sports (most notably mens hoop and mens ice hock) and other sports with a few each. Ships were consolidated into a core group of teams with the intention of funding teams the AD thought had the best chance to win at the national level (mens Bb aside for a moment). Once success came the plan was to add back funding one team at a time. PC is in the midst of this plan.

One thing to keep in mind is PC is 60% so to keep equity and meet the representation standards there are more womans teams than mens teams.

Men and woman BB are fully funded. Alumni Hall reno just completed and BB practice facility in planning.
Men and woman ice hockey are fully funded. $17M reno of facility opened this past fall
Men and woman soccer are fully funded
Mens lacrosse will be fully funded over the next 2 or 3 years, soccer and lacrosse complex/stadium about to begin
Field hockey is a few short of fully funded\Men/woman cross country and track are not fully funded but are funded sufficiently that the women won the cross country national championship this past fall. Field will never be a big deal at PC but cross country, middle distance track are very good. New track complex just completed.
Womans tennis, volleyball are not funded and softball is partially funded.
Mens/womans swimming and diving are not funded.
bostonfriar

Postby JOPO » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
JOPO wrote:
FriarJ wrote:This subject goes way back till the poster child for what's wrong with Title IX which was the BE Champion Providence Men's baseball team that was shutdown. Women's volleyball became a non scholarship program at the same time I believe. Truly the worst story about Title IX

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/19/sports/baseball-the-other-side-of-title-ix.html

That was really sad when the Friars had to drop baseball; I really felt bad for your guys. Title IX has really hurt men's Olympic sports.

While I have my reservations about Title IX; the problem is as much as with the arms race in basketball and football as it is with Title IX. The NCAA needs an expense cap on revenue sports.

Cap spending and the five football first conferences will leave so fast your head will spin!
As always, this is Just One Pirate's Opinion!
JOPO

Postby gosports1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

there is a book about the subject that is interesting if you're a friar fan. I think its called strike 9
gosports1

Previous

Return to Big East Women's Athletics