The Dayton Thread...

Re: The Dayton Thread...

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Thu May 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for the sincere praise BEXU, but the current version is not too shabby.

Top 100 Stadium Experiences of 2016

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/ ... arena-s834

2016 review of UD Arena. Ranked #37- and #2 among college hoops venues.

Add 75MM of renovations and UD Arena will be an even better place to see basketball.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri May 12, 2017 6:12 am

Good national publicity for the Flyers:

Dayton's UD Arena getting major upgrades to improve experience for Flyers, NCAA Tournament – Mike DeCourcy, The Sporting News – May 11, 2017
UD Arena has been home to more NCAA Tournament games than any building, ever.

On the video promoting the upgrade, the voice of ESPN’s Jay Bilas can be heard calling UD Arena "one of the true gems of college basketball."

Kentucky’s 1978 NCAA championship team went through there, beating Magic Johnson’s freshman-year Michigan State squad in the regional final. In 1981, the stunning Saint Joseph’s upset of Mark Aquirre and No. 1 DePaul happened there. On the way to beating Georgetown in the 1985 "Perfect Game," Villanova won a close regional final at UD Arena over a talented Michigan team.

In the regular season, UD Arena has been a lure that’s made Flyers men’s basketball one of the most loyally followed teams in Division I. How do you know? From 1992-93 through 1994-95, the Flyers won 17 games. Total. But attendance never dropped below 10,800 per game. Those loyal fans now can expect to be better accommodated.

Dayton Announces Plans for $72 Million Renovation of Arena – ESPN/AP – May 12, 2017

Interestingly, Fox Sports got it wrong – by $100 million:

University of Dayton Plans $172 Million in Arena Renovations – Fox Sports/AP – May 12, 2017

University of Dayton Plans $172 Million in Arena Renovations – Fox19 Cincinnati – May 12, 2017
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016-17 Average Home Attendance

Creighton – 17,413
Marquette – 13,716
Xavier – 10,282
Villanova – 10,048
Big East Average – 9793
Georgetown - 8497
Providence - 8493
Butler - 8358
St. John's - 8147
Seton Hall -7954
DePaul – 4923

Dayton - 13,018
UConn - 8505
Richmond - 6317
Saint Louis - 5593
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On April 18th admin wrote:
NCAA championship sites announced through 2022

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2 ... s-released

March 19-20, 2019 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena
March 17-18, 2020 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena
March 16-17, 2021 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena
March 15-16, 2022 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena

Dayton has the NCAA Tournament’s First Four locked up through 2022, and with a $72 million renovation in the pipeline, you have to like the chances of the First Four remaining in Dayton beyond 2022. Transform UD Arena – University of Dayton
Last edited by Fieldhouse Flyer on Fri May 12, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Good national publicity for the Flyers:

Dayton's UD Arena getting major upgrades to improve experience for Flyers, NCAA Tournament – Mike DeCourcy, The Sporting News – May 11, 2017
UD Arena has been home to more NCAA Tournament games than any building, ever.

On the video promoting the upgrade, the voice of ESPN’s Jay Bilas can be heard calling UD Arena "one of the true gems of college basketball."

Kentucky’s 1978 NCAA championship team went through there, beating Magic Johnson’s freshman-year Michigan State squad in the regional final. In 1981, the stunning Saint Joseph’s upset of Mark Aquirre and No. 1 DePaul happened there. On the way to beating Georgetown in the 1985 "Perfect Game," Villanova won a close regional final at UD Arena over a talented Michigan team.

In the regular season, UD Arena has been a lure that’s made Flyers men’s basketball one of the most loyally followed teams in Division I. How do you know? From 1992-93 through 1994-95, the Flyers won 17 games. Total. But attendance never dropped below 10,800 per game. Those loyal fans now can expect to be better accommodated.

Dayton Announces Plans for $72 Million Renovation of Arena – ESPN/AP – May 12, 2017

Interestingly, Fox Sports got it wrong – by $100 million:

University of Dayton Plans $172 Million in Arena Renovations – Fox Sports/AP – May 12, 2017

University of Dayton Plans $172 Million in Arena Renovations – Fox19 Cincinnati – May 12, 2017

2016-17 Average Home Attendance

Creighton – 17,413
Marquette – 13,716
Xavier – 10,282
Villanova – 10,048
Big East Average – 9793
Georgetown - 8497
Providence - 8493
Butler - 8358
St. John's - 8147
Seton Hall -7954
DePaul – 4923

Dayton - 13,018
UConn - 8505
Richmond - 6317
Saint Louis - 5593
On April 18th admin wrote:
NCAA championship sites announced through 2022

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2 ... s-released

March 19-20, 2019 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena
March 17-18, 2020 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena
March 16-17, 2021 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena
March 15-16, 2022 - Men's Basketball First Four - University of Dayton Arena

Dayton has the NCAA Tournament’s First Four locked up through 2022, and with a $72 million renovation in the pipeline, you have to like the chances of the First Four remaining in Dayton beyond 2022.

Transform UD Arena – University of Dayton

UD Arena – February 2017

UD Arena – November 2020

The whole only winning 17 games and never dropping below 10k fans a game says more about what else there is to do in Dayton than it says about the loyalty of the fan base.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 am

MUBoxer wrote:
The whole only winning 17 games and never dropping below 10k fans a game says more about what else there is to do in Dayton than it says about the loyalty of the fan base.

The many Dayton Flyers fans who purchase premium season tickets for more than $5,000 per year per seat would not agree with you.

Your dislike of Dayton is well-documented and accepted. Previously posted:

MUBoxer wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
DID YOU KNOW ? – University of Dayton
UD won more games than any other school in both the 1950’s and 1960’s.

UD won 435 games between 1950 and 1969 and ranks among the top teams of the 1950s and 1960s in Division I history. The Flyers' .763 (228-71) winning percentage in the 1950s ranks fifth in the decade. Their .729 (207-77) winning percentage ranks eighth in the 1960’s.

The ESPN/Sagarin All-Time Rankings
The Top 40 Programs of Each Decade

The 1950's:

7. Dayton
29. St. John’s
34. Xavier
37. DePaul

The 1960's:
7. Dayton
10. Villanova
17. St. John’s
19. Providence

Averaging a # 7 national ranking for 20 consecutive years is a feat that no other Catholic university has ever accomplished.

After looking at Dayton's average AP ranking for the 50's and 60's, I have confirmed that this list is malarkey.

Bill Marsh wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Using scoring margin for a list of all times is a HUGE fallacy.

Why? It's a standard power rating formula.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby hoops22 » Fri May 12, 2017 9:49 am

Wrong. It says a hell of a lot about the fan base, that over a three year period, where they averaged 6 wins per season, that nearly 11,000 still showed up every game. I'm not sure any other college could maintain that kind of fan support, under those circumstances. Also that's nonsense, explaining it as there being nothing else to do in Dayton. Most D1 schools come from areas more remote than Dayton and can't count of that kind of support. In fact, calling a spade a spade, it's not like Milwaukee is exactly a hotbed of entertainment options either. Marquette draws well because they have a loyal fan base, not because there's nothing else to do. Same is true of Dayton.
hoops22

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:03 am

hoops22 wrote:Wrong. It says a hell of a lot about the fan base, that over a three year period, where they averaged 6 wins per season, that nearly 11,000 still showed up every game. I'm not sure any other college could maintain that kind of fan support, under those circumstances. Also that's nonsense, explaining it as there being nothing else to do in Dayton. Most D1 schools come from areas more remote than Dayton and can't count of that kind of support. In fact, calling a spade a spade, it's not like Milwaukee is exactly a hotbed of entertainment options either. Marquette draws well because they have a loyal fan base, not because there's nothing else to do. Same is true of Dayton.

Milwaukee has more bars per capita than every other top 50 metro area in the country and has an MLB team, NBA team and AHL team. It also has one of the largest music festivals in the US behind Coachella and SXSW it also has the largest Irish and German fests in the country Please tell me more about how Milwaukee is lacking in entertainment? Do some research and come back to me with a better argument.

Fieldhouse Flyer, my personal hate of Dayton stems from its fan base's over inflated view of the program and any comparable school that has a stronger tradition you guys trash. It's documented from Dayton posters on Muscoop as well as UDpride.com. Not to mention the constant Dayton posts on a BE board is just weird. However, I personally believe that they should be added, I think it's a joke when people from Dayton act like it's a major city as an argument for it but I still think they should be added.

Regarding that list that I said was malarkey because it uses scoring as a major metric. The main rebuttal was that few teams used a four corner offense taking the air out of the ball, marquette did use one then so im still pissed that we fall behind UNC and think that the list is BS.

As far as the rebuttal that the many flyer fans who purchase premium seats for over 5k every year I'd say what else would they have to do with that money if they're a sports fan?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:19 am

Fieldhouse Flyer, this post from MUscoop about sums up why I think your fans are a joke.

[quote author=UDPride link=topic=34539.msg422884#msg422884 date=1354126134]

UD Pride wrote:If you think schools are going to "beat a path to your door" for the privilege of insecurity, instability, no TV contract, no conference tournament, and the chance many of those same schools in a newfangled conference bolt once again as soon as they see something better, I want the same liquor you are drinking.

You wont be raiding the A10, but the A10 might raid you -- if you're that fortunate. The A10 is stability in a sea of chaos. They have no reason or urgency to leave. More money wont put them over the top because theyve been stretching a dollar all their lives. That's their normal. They are used to making the Big Dance on a shoestring budget -- and have done quite well for themselves.

If you believe all the BE basketball schools have to do is yell "jump", and the A10 schools will respond with "How high?", you are seriously over-estimating your negotiating position in this giant mess. The A10 schools have the high ground. They dont NEED you. They might want you, but NEEDING and WANTING are two entirely different things. You NEED the A10 schools however if you cut bait with football. Big difference.

While you guys were sitting around counting the checks the last 6-7 years, the A10 was busy trying to position themselves as the best basketball-only conference. They never tried to be something they were not. They didn't sit still. They added Butler and VCU and St. Louis. They never twiddled thumbs waiting on conference collapses to snag a Georgetown.

Five years ago, some of the A10 schools might have listened to your plea to form a new hoops only league. But you were too busy counting benjamins. That ship has sailed, my friend. There may or may not be a collective empowerment between the Big East and A10, but if there is, it will be on the A10's terms.

The A10 has the luxury of doing nothing and remaining relevant, secure, stable, and collectively united among all of its member institutions in a common goal. Unfortunately, you don't have that option. Your re-invention requires a lifeboat someone else must provide. And when someone else provides it, its not your position to demand hot towels and a wine list.

The Big East name means nothing now. The value was not in the name, but the value of the institutions within it. That's gone now. With Barclays Arena committed to the A10, MSG is no longer the carrot it once was. And history? History is for historians. That and a cup of coffee won't get you far, and it certainly won't get you into the BIG12 or ACC as a basketball-only member -- as some delusional fans on here are trying to talk themselves into.

Many of you are right in this sense: you are second class citizens in the Big East and have been for years. You cashed the paychecks, but were otherwise red-headed stepchildren. Your say never counted at the board meetings and you were to be seen and not heard. Football drove the bus and basketball was back-burner. But you should have seen this coming a long time ago. You waited far too long. Instead of being proactive and guaranteeing your own autonomy, nothing mattered as long as the checks didnt bounce. From the very beginning you never had a hand on the wheel -- and no conference should ever be run without all hands steering together in the same direction.

The A10 has always had that luxury. And member institutions are not in any hurry to jump ship in 50-foot seas when the boat ain't leaking. It might not be the fastest or prettiest ship on the high seas, but she's not foundering, and that's quite impressive given the current climate.

If you truly believe you hold the cards, why the panic? Nobody in the A10 is panicking. Your stress level tells me all I need to know about where the leverage really is.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 am

MUBoxer wrote:
Milwaukee has more bars per capita than every other top 50 metro area in the country ...

Congratulations. Beer is very important.

The Princeton Review College Rankings - Lots of Beer

1. University of Wisconsin
2. University of Dayton
3. Bates College
4. Beloit College
5. Lehigh University
6. University of Florida
7. West Virginia University
8. Colgate University
9. Syracuse University
10. University of Illinois
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby MUBoxer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:27 am

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:
Milwaukee has more bars per capita than every other top 50 metro area in the country ...

Congratulations. Beer is very important.

The Princeton Review College Rankings - Lots of Beer

1. University of Wisconsin
2. University of Dayton
3. Bates College
4. Beloit College
5. Lehigh University
6. University of Florida
7. West Virginia University
8. Colgate University
9. Syracuse University
10. University of Illinois

Yeah my high school girlfriend who I dated for freshman and half of sophomore year of college went to Beloit, there's not a chance in hell that list in reputable. Though it is a clothing optional campus

Also those lists are meaningless. Here's a list from my freshman year of college that says marquette was the top catholic party school

http://greatcollegeadvice.com/playboys- ... y-schools/
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Mon May 15, 2017 7:39 am

List of Teams with the Most Victories in NCAA Division I Men's College Basketball - Wikipedia
Top 50 Teams through the end of the 2016-17 season:

Rank - College (First Season; No. of Seasons) • Wins - Losses • (Win%)

9 - St. John's (1908; 110) • 1,817 - 999 • (.645)
24 - Villanova (1921; 97) • 1,713 - 920 • (.651)
31 - Georgetown (1907; 109) • 1,638 - 1,024 • (.615)

40 - Dayton (1904; 112) • 1,610 - 1,089 • (.597)
47 - Marquette (1917; 100) • 1,589 - 982 • (.618)

Congratulations to the Johnnies, who now have 104 more wins than Villanova, but trail Villanova in all-time win percentage.

MUBoxer – you will undoubtedly have noticed that Dayton has 21 more wins than Marquette, in 12 more seasons than Marquette. I fully accept that Marquette would be ranked higher than Dayton if the two teams had played a similar number of seasons, so there is no need to call this list "malarkey".

EDIT: Final Atlantic 10 Average Home Attendance – Atlantic 10 Conference – March 24, 2017

Dayton - 13,018
VCU - 7637
Richmond - 6317
Saint Louis - 5593
Rhode Island - 5173
Atlantic 10 Average Home Attendance - 4688
St. Bonaventure - 4274
George Mason - 4235
Davidson - 4231
Saint Joseph's - 4179
Massachusetts - 3297
George Washington - 3150
La Salle - 2283
Fordham - 1657
Duquesne - 1218

Previously posted on August 6, 2016:

Xudash wrote:
UD's financial numbers are relevant and mostly come from people in and around Dayton.

You are correct with your first statement, but seriously wrong with your second statement.

2015-16 Enrolment

10,920 - University of Dayton
6,538 - Xavier University

Dayton has more than 1½ times as many students as Xavier, and has more than 1½ of the number of alumni than Xavier. The vast majority of the University of Dayton alumni live outside of Dayton, and most Dayton alumni are serious basketball fans - including me. We travel to Madison Square Gardens, Barclay Center, Chicago, Los Angeles, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Orlando, (and anywhere else you can name) in the thousands - and in much greater numbers than our opponents' fans. And we’re not just coming from Dayton:

University of Dayton Alumni Chapters

Atlanta • Austin • Boston • Charlotte • Chicago • Cincinnati • Cleveland • Columbus • Dallas / Ft. Worth • Dayton • Denver • Detroit • Houston • Indianapolis • Los Angeles • Louisville • Miami • Milwaukee • Nashville • New York / New Jersey • Northwest Ohio • Orange County, CA • Philadelphia • Phoenix • Pittsburgh • Puerto Rico • Raleigh / Durham • Rochester • San Diego • San Francisco • Seattle • St. Louis • Tampa Bay • Washington DC / Baltimore • Western Michigan

In 2015-16, all 33 of Dayton's home and away games were televised, most of which were on major TV networks. All of these games were watched by tens of thousands of Dayton Flyers fans.
Last edited by Fieldhouse Flyer on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic