check out UCONNS boneyard forum

Re: check out UCONNS boneyard forum

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 am

I was really gung ho about St. Louis joining the league. I think they are putting money into their hoops program and care about success but at the same time, it's not like they are the kings of the A10 and they don't scream big time. With that being said, UConn has a chip on their shoulder and will jump to another conference first chance they get. I don't want them either. I have become really, really fond of our 10 team league, and until 2 teams really separate themselves and become the OBVIOUS choice I think we wait for another 5 years and see how everything plays out. Also, I don't really want to go bigger than 12. The 16 team Big East was fun because there were SO MANY good teams, but at the same time it was a shit show.

I think we are really lucky to have what we have now. We need to focus on the current teams to continue to be successful. EVERY year we need to be pushing to get 6 teams into the dance and 2 or 3 of those teams making some noise. Expansion should be put on the backburner.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 am

I personally feel like the UConn-Big East ship has sailed. UConn has firmly decided to prioritize football, both by significant financial backing as well as administrative support. Regardless of whether you feel that is right or wrong, it would be the worst decision possible to back out of that choice now. UConn wants and needs to be in the P5, and that won't be happening in the AAC, Big East, MAC, C-USA or any other conference not named B1G or ACC.

The interesting topic isn't whether UConn would consider joining the Big East today, it's whether UConn, knowing all of the facts today, would still try and elevate football 15 years ago to FBS status (or D-1). In that time, the program has had just 6 winning seasons. My guess is that, if told that them that, in 2015, they would be in a conference with Tulsa, East Carolina, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, and SMU, their response would be, "Absolutely not happening. We don't want to be in Conference USA football. We belong with basketball schools like Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St. Johns and Seton Hall."

It is sad to see this happening. I know a few UConn alums that were adamantly opposed to ever joining the AAC. They don't care about football or the pursuit of becoming a football school. It is what it is.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby LeMoyne00 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Did I miss something? I guess I don't understand all the look at them crawling back begging comments... We made the decision to walk away from UConn and the other football playing schools...they didn't choose to leave us!
Catholic Basketball Proud... wish we had the Irish!
LeMoyne00

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:32 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I personally feel like the UConn-Big East ship has sailed. UConn has firmly decided to prioritize football, both by significant financial backing as well as administrative support. Regardless of whether you feel that is right or wrong, it would be the worst decision possible to back out of that choice now. UConn wants and needs to be in the P5, and that won't be happening in the AAC, Big East, MAC, C-USA or any other conference not named B1G or ACC.

The interesting topic isn't whether UConn would consider joining the Big East today, it's whether UConn, knowing all of the facts today, would still try and elevate football 15 years ago to FBS status (or D-1). In that time, the program has had just 6 winning seasons. My guess is that, if told that them that, in 2015, they would be in a conference with Tulsa, East Carolina, Tulane, UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, and SMU, their response would be, "Absolutely not happening. We don't want to be in Conference USA football. We belong with basketball schools like Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St. Johns and Seton Hall."

It is sad to see this happening. I know a few UConn alums that were adamantly opposed to ever joining the AAC. They don't care about football or the pursuit of becoming a football school. It is what it is.

Agree with everything in your post.

The biggest problem with schools like UConn is football attendance. Rutgers got in both for their market and because they reliably put 50K seats in the stands at this point. UConn has slipped closer to 30K than to the 40K that they were initially drawing. Not only does that hurt their standing with the B1G in particular, it hurts their ability to compete because they would be lacking revenue comparable to schools who fill stadiums of 80-110K. Those schools get $100 per ticket. Do the math.

For other reasons as well, UConn has serious obstacles to overcome to get into the ACC. Their best shot at this point might actually be with the Big XII, strange as that might sound. Should that league decide on an eastern expansion with 4 new members,UConn should be on the short list. Geographically they'd hardly be worse off than they are now.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Off Topic