OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Re: OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:50 am

DeltaV wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
SJHooper wrote:
Penn State was a power house for many years…are you nuts? And that's PA…close to the Mason Dixon. Northeast college football will never take off. Rutgers has not been anywhere close to a national championship.

WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that Penn State is a southern school? It's right in the middle of Pennsylvania, thats not close to being the south. Yes the Mason Dixon line runs across the southern boarder of PA, does that mean New Jersey is close to being southern? You really are clueless.

Penn State is in Pennsyltucky. It's like Alabama with snow. I grew up there; it is nothing like Philadelphia or the rest of the northeast corridor. The Delaware Valley is in the Northeast...the rest of the state is in the midwest. Maybe not by the definitions of the regions, but absolutely by mentality.

Who cares what part of the state it's located in? It's fans are in Philadelphia. It's students mostly come from the eastern part of the state. Penn State is every bit as much a Philadelphia school as if they were located there. Check out the traffic on I-76 coming out of Philly some football Saturday in the fall. Philadelphia is most definitely NOT Alabama.
Bill Marsh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeltaV » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
DeltaV wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that Penn State is a southern school? It's right in the middle of Pennsylvania, thats not close to being the south. Yes the Mason Dixon line runs across the southern boarder of PA, does that mean New Jersey is close to being southern? You really are clueless.

Penn State is in Pennsyltucky. It's like Alabama with snow. I grew up there; it is nothing like Philadelphia or the rest of the northeast corridor. The Delaware Valley is in the Northeast...the rest of the state is in the midwest. Maybe not by the definitions of the regions, but absolutely by mentality.

Who cares what part of the state it's located in? It's fans are in Philadelphia. It's students mostly come from the eastern part of the state. Penn State is every bit as much a Philadelphia school as if they were located there. Check out the traffic on I-76 coming out of Philly some football Saturday in the fall. Philadelphia is most definitely NOT Alabama.

No way is PSU a Philly school. Not in the least.

Again, PA may be, in general, categorized in the Northeast and physically located there, but the attitude of a majority of the state is not of the Northeast cities. A good portion of the state hates Philadelphia with a passion, and wouldn't be disappointed if it broke off and joined South Jersey. PA, outside of Philly, has much more in common with Ohio than the NE; its farm country where they love their religion (Santorum is from PA, that alone should tell you plenty about how the state really is), guns, and college football.

They capture it reasonably well with NFL fan maps...look how much of the state roots for the Steelers vs. Eagles: http://deadspin.com/5979970/facebook-da ... er-created.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:39 pm

I think everyone is a little right and a little wrong on this one. Long time PSU fan here from SE PA. Yes, PA is Philly on one side and Pittsburgh on the other and then mostly a lot of rural, gun wielding, gold ole boys in the middle. But PSU has always been the college team supported by Philly college football fans. When they play at Temple it is 80% PSU backers. Philly is a northeast city and as much as you want to state otherwise PSU is a top tier program that is supported in that NE city. Has it struggled recently? Yes, but that has had as much to do with trying to replace a legendary coach who could not adapt to the new game and the new athletes, and then all the mess he left behind.

The B1G is not the SEC. But I would say that PSU is right behind OSU and MMichigan in the pecking order of the conference. Being in 2 BCS bowls since 2006 gives them some legitimacy. Are they what they were in the 70-90's? No. But the SEC has taken such a stranglehold on college FB that not many schools outside of these southern schools can make a legitimate case of being a NC contender. But as a top 20-25 program overall? Absolutely.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby flyerlax06 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 am

Providence College '10
flyerlax06

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 am

AAC should really stand for Always Accept Crazy. The idea that the American would have any chance of being invited into the College Football Playoff is just delusional (whether it's 4 or 8 teams). The Power 5 will never let that happen, and I am beginning to think that (with the additions of Tulane, East Carolina, and Tulsa) their basketball status will not elevate either. SMU was deliberately left out of the tournament due to its low RPI. What will these additional schools do it? They certainly won't elevate it.

I will root for Cincinnati, UCONN and USF (former brethren) to elevate their national brands and, hopefully, get invited to a P5 conference. However, reading what some ignorant fans from some of those other schools (that never had the luxury of using the Big East brand), I can't say the same for them.

Fans will always root for the underdog, but when the underdog starts spewing nonsense about entitlement and deserving a seat at the big table, then that support gets tossed out the window.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby gosports1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:39 pm

this guy is from new york (city im guessing). he asked if Pennsylvania was in the midwest. not sure how accurate the results are. were any states he asked about declared not midwestern? im sure he also thinks everything north of yonkers is upstate new york! thats a different discussion :lol:
gosports1

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:33 pm

This Big East/Big 10 Challenge is certainly causing the unrest among AAC fans haha. Despite the fact that the Big East schools are making more than the American schools (and do not play football), and are going to get more recognition than the AAC, those knuckleheads still believe they are being unfairly recognized. Who would have thought Conference USA 2.0 wouldn't take off? :D

The AAC has a BCS Bowl victory and Men's and Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament Championships this year - and they STILL are not considered a P5 conference. :lol:

If the AAC is lucky, the Sun Belt could come to them for a conference challenge agreement in basketball. :P

Have fun with East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa!
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Bluejay » Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

It will be interesting to see what happens to UConn if Ollie leaves for the Lakers.
Bluejay

Postby Edrick » Tue May 06, 2014 10:29 am

Id put 5 dollars on Dan Hurley replacing him
Edrick

Postby NJRedman » Tue May 06, 2014 1:11 pm

They are so bad they are calling Frank the Tank a "Well known troll". Thats pretty bad. Can someone PM him and let him know about this place please? I like Frank, he has been pretty spot on with his commentary and reasonable predictions and explanations of realignment. I love his blog, and anyone who thinks he's a "troll" is probably an idiot, who knows way less than Frank in all things college sports.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic