OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Re: OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Postby Dew » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Bad news for AAC, SMU and Brown:

@GoodmanESPN: SMU signee Emmanuel Mudiay is likely heading overseas due to amateurism issues, sources told ESPN. Staff was informed last night.
Dew

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Yeah one of those things that will hurt- though as most have said he'd be a 1 and done type of guy, so not as crushing as one would think for long term. Short term it's a killer...

One thing you wonder is if we are going to start to see more and more of these top 10 type prospects going the Europe route and bypass school altogether. That would be a game changer- and would really help the Big East quite a bit relatively speaking.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm

I would bolt too if I saw an upcoming slate of conference games against Tulane, East Carolina, UCF and Houston.

Seriously, that conference is in MAJOR trouble-basketball wise. Losing Louisville is will do terrible things for their RPI and SOS. Replacing that with Tulane, ECU and Tulsa is even worse. UCONN, Cincinnati and Memphis can only carry the load so much.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:58 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I would bolt too if I saw an upcoming slate of conference games against Tulane, East Carolina, UCF and Houston.

Seriously, that conference is in MAJOR trouble-basketball wise. Losing Louisville is will do terrible things for their RPI and SOS. Replacing that with Tulane, ECU and Tulsa is even worse. UCONN, Cincinnati and Memphis can only carry the load so much.

It's still going to be a top 7 basketball conference and will get 3+ teams in the tourney every year. The animosity on here about how bad the AAC is going to be is just remarkable. They're better than any conference other than the P5 and Big East- and frankly maybe better than the SEC.

Also, losing Rutgers will do nothign but help their RPI and SOS. Rutgers was the #247 RPI OOC last year. Only Houston was worse. Between that, and then the fact that all the top teams will avoid playing 2 games against the bottom 7 teams- so the # of games vs bad teams is the exact same as before- will help them out a lot.
stever20

Postby Chalmers0 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:22 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I would bolt too if I saw an upcoming slate of conference games against Tulane, East Carolina, UCF and Houston.

Not sure I would list Tulsa along with Tulane and ECU. Granted, Haith will ruin what Manning built up in a matter of a few years but still, they aren't going to be killing RPIs this year.
Chalmers0

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Chalmers0 wrote:

Not sure I would list Tulsa along with Tulane and ECU. Granted, Haith will ruin what Manning built up in a matter of a few years but still, they aren't going to be killing RPIs this year.

Yes, Tulsa was better than ECU and Tulane. They won 11 in a row in taking the CUSA championship. BUT outside of CUSA, they lost to anyone half way decent. The fact that they were much better than ECU and Tulane is a reflection on just how bad those two were rather than being a sign that Tulsa themselves were any good. Here's the list of teams that Tulsa lost to:

Oral Roberts
Missouri State
Wichita State
Creighton
TCU twice
Green Bay
Oklahoma
Maryland
UCLA

Other than those 10 losses, they went 13-3 in CUSA, which was a terrible basketball conference. CUSA was their salvation.
Bill Marsh

Postby LMS » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:37 am

stever20 wrote:

It's still going to be a top 7 basketball conference and will get 3+ teams in the tourney every year. The animosity on here about how bad the AAC is going to be is just remarkable. They're better than any conference other than the P5 and Big East- and frankly maybe better than the SEC.

Also, losing Rutgers will do nothign but help their RPI and SOS. Rutgers was the #247 RPI OOC last year. Only Houston was worse. Between that, and then the fact that all the top teams will avoid playing 2 games against the bottom 7 teams- so the # of games vs bad teams is the exact same as before- will help them out a lot.

A Top 7 league? You know that means it sucks right?
LMS

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:41 pm

AAC might survive for a while because the upper third can beat up on the lower 2/3rds but the problem is the upper third all want to leave. And eventually, some or all will.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:53 pm

DudeAnon wrote:AAC might survive for a while because the upper third can beat up on the lower 2/3rds but the problem is the upper third all want to leave. And eventually, some or all will.

But the upper third have to have some place to go. And that's the issue. There's no more room at the inn at the P5 conferences, and they aren't going to blow up their football to place basketball in the Big East. So where can they go?

Also, in about 2-3 years, you're going to find some of the other newer programs starting to make progress recruiting with the much greater exposure than their programs EVER got in CUSA. I mean, take everyone's whipping boy- ECU. Last year they were on TV a whopping 2x on FSN1. This year, that's going to be at least 18 in all the conference games. HUGE difference there. Even impacted teams like Memphis- they were on TV a whole lot more than they were ever before. Also, if the top has as much success as they did last year, that's going to impact the entire conference postively.
stever20

Postby PhillyPirate » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:26 am

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11222556/memphis-tigers-expected-hire-keelon-lawson-assistant-coach

Looks like Memphis will be set for awhile. This is a great move by them in my opinion. One assistant coach to secure four stud players and he is a capable coach to boot
PhillyPirate

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic