OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Re: OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Postby BillikensWin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Bluejay wrote:
stever20 wrote: 4 AAC teams made the tourney(to include Tulsa)- and SMU made the NIT final(give me that over Xavier losing in the PIG any day of the week).

In a remarkably lengthy list of ridiculous things you have posted, this may be the most ridiculous of all.

If there was any uncertainty regarding you being a fan of the AAC rather than the BE, this certain eliminates that uncertainty. Only an AAC fan thinks an NIT birth for AAC club is better than an NCAA tourney birth for a BE club. Apparently we should all be aiming for NIT births, not NCAA births. :roll:

Wow, it must be a new day. I agree 100% with this Creighton fan.

Being the NIT champion is like being the nicest guy on Death Row.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:27 pm

Bluejay wrote:
stever20 wrote: 4 AAC teams made the tourney(to include Tulsa)- and SMU made the NIT final(give me that over Xavier losing in the PIG any day of the week).

In a remarkably lengthy list of ridiculous things you have posted, this may be the most ridiculous of all.

If there was any uncertainty regarding you being a fan of the AAC rather than the BE, this certain eliminates that uncertainty. Only an AAC fan thinks an NIT birth for AAC club is better than an NCAA tourney birth for a BE club. Apparently we should all be aiming for NIT births, not NCAA births. :roll:

Reminds me of the arguments some of our Shox fans used to make.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Boyee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Losing Louisville (to ACC) and Rutgers (to Big Ten) is bad for The American. Having Central Florida, Cincinnati, Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Navy (football only in 2015), South Florida, Southern Methodist, Temple, Tulane, and Tulsa is still leaps and bounds ahead of what the current 14-school Conference USA has now. I feel The American could use a 12th full member or at least an Olympic sports associate member as Navy is football only (as of 2015) and in the Patriot League for all other sports. UMass would be good for an Olympic sports only member in The American, but their football sucks. The American members East Carolina, Central Florida, South Florida, and Tulane are not good at basketball. Eventually Connecticut and possibly Cincinnati will be invited to other better leagues. The only full members of The American remaining from the Northern United States are Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Temple. All other American members are in the South (Central Florida, East Carolina, Memphis, Navy, South Florida, Tulane, and Tulsa) or Southwest (Houston and SMU). All Conference USA teams are in the South or Southwest also. The ACC only has 4 Northern schools (Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Boston College). The Atlantic 10 has only 2 Midwest schools (Dayton and Saint Louis) and 12 Eastern schools (Davidson, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, La Salle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph's, and Virginia Commonwealth).
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby Boyee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Boston College, Miami, Viginia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh all left the original Big East for the ACC. TCU left to go to the Big 12 Conference before joining the original Big East as a full member, Boise State and San Diego State both decided against joining the original Big East in football only to stay in the Mountain West Conference. Louisville, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Temple, and South Florida were the seven original Big East schools left over when the split happened, leaving only five with Louisville and Rutgers leaving. Central Florida, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Southern Methodist, Tulane, and Tulsa were added to The American from Conference USA while Navy will be added from the independent ranks in football only in 2015. All other Navy sports compete in the Patriot League. The only The American members never to have been in Conference USA are Connecticut, Temple and Navy (In 2015).
Boyee

Postby BEX » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Get in the Dance. That's what it's all about. NIT=Fail. Better luck next yr.
BEX

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:29 pm

stever20 wrote:My point on Xavier- were they even really in the tourney? Losing in the PIG in Dayton you aren't really in the tourney at all. So like this year for Xavier and I guess it was Iowa- it doesn't feel like they were really in the real tourney at all. Note, I didn't say Providence for instance. they were in the final 64. To me, there's a huge difference there.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby BillikensWin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:04 pm

stever20 wrote:My point on Xavier- were they even really in the tourney? Losing in the PIG in Dayton you aren't really in the tourney at all. So like this year for Xavier and I guess it was Iowa- it doesn't feel like they were really in the real tourney at all. Note, I didn't say Providence for instance. they were in the final 64. To me, there's a huge difference there.

No, it means SMU couldn't even get the job done in the losers' bracket and you tried to claim that as a better postseason than a team that made the NCAA tournament. It is not possible to have a better year in the NIT than one that ends in the NCAA tournament. None.

All SMU got out of their trip was a participation ribbon for the Nearly Irrelevant Tournament. No multi-bid league should even acknowledge the NIT, let alone claim it as a good thing (when they didn't win it).
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby RxJay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Stever could you please just tell us what team you are actually a fan of. I am sure is NOT one of the Big East teams.
Creighton 70
RxJay

Postby Boyee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 am

If The American loses Connecticut, Cincinnati or both they will likely have to replace them with a current Conference USA member. The only way I see Connecticut leaving is if there is more expansion in the Power Five conferences. The only way I see Cincinnati leaving is if the Big 12 decides to go back to 12 and they are one of the two added. If both leave, it is possible Temple will reassess their situation and possibly return to there Atlantic 10/MAC set-up.
Boyee

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:16 am

Boyee wrote:If The American loses Connecticut, Cincinnati or both they will likely have to replace them with a current Conference USA member. The only way I see Connecticut leaving is if there is more expansion in the Power Five conferences. The only way I see Cincinnati leaving is if the Big 12 decides to go back to 12 and they are one of the two added. If both leave, it is possible Temple will reassess their situation and possibly return to there Atlantic 10/MAC set-up.

The original football members of CUSA before defections to the Big Eastwere:

Louisville
Cincinnati
USF
USM
Memphis
UAB
Tulane
Houston
ECU
Army (football only)
TCU

Substitute:

UConn as the basketball power with the upwardly mobile football program
UCF, a later member, for USM as a Deep South football power
Temple for UAB as an urban basketball-first school
Navy for Army
SMU, a later member, for TCU as the Dallas/Fort Worth entry

Add Tulsa, another later member, and you have a conference with pretty much the same look and feel, and mostly the same geographic footprint except for a smidge of Northeast flavor.
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic