OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Re: OT: AAC Fans Beyond Delusional

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Has Larry Brown left SMU yet? No. It is amazing what a run can do for a program. Sometimes they maintain after that, even when the coach leaves.

The major thing would be at the look-in, does ESPN re-up for them long term and start to really pay them like 6-7 million per year. If so, the only place teams would go would be to ACC or Big 12. They aren't giving up football. Period. They aren't leaving football in AAC and taking their basketball to the Big East. Period.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

LeMoyne00 wrote:I think this is the dumbest thread I've ever read on this board!

They have a little something to be excited and yet a little delusional over don't they? I mean it is hard to deny their successes this academic year. What they did has only been done 3 other times (one conference win a BCS bowl game and both the men's and women's basketball tourney in the same year). They are in very rare company as the SEC did it in 2007 and the old Big East (none of our current Big East members were involved in winning titles) in 2004 & 2013.

Yes, some of them are undoubtedly delusional, but some of you are not only seeking out, but holding onto every word they say - snooping around and spying on them too... what does that say about you and us?

If this is a divorce and they are as everyone on here is calling the OVER-THE-TOP EX-WIFE, then some of you are making us look like the crazy jealous ex-husband who has to have a restraining order placed against him, because he might not want her, but he sure as hell doesn't want anyone else to want/have her either.

I'm sorry, god forbid I go to another sports message board (One where many of us used to be on) and see all the craziness thats being posted about us. In a break up is the side that complains about their crazy ex setting their car on fire the crazy one or the one who actually set their car on fire?

This is the same guy who said most of the people at MSG during the BET were watching the Cuse and Pitt games on their phones.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm

stever20 wrote:
GreatDaneAttorney wrote:The point is that there are some fan bases in the AAC that are claiming these accomplishments, when it's really been the Louisville, UConn, and UCF trains that are keeping that league going. The other fan bases are claiming those championships, thinking it will immediately vault their programs to elite levels. However, college athletics don't work that way. Building up programs takes time, and many programs are ultimately never successful.

Long story short, ECU fans think their league association will automatically equate to CFB playoff appearances and sudden success on the hard court, and I don't think that's a realistic expectation.

Also- let's look at all the AAC teams outside the 3 you say....
Houston- made bowl game
SMU- made final of NIT as 1st team left out of NCAA tourney
Memphis- made NCAA tourney

Temple, USF had rough seasons.

now the incoming teams:
ECU- made bowl game
Tulane- made bowl game
Tulsa- made NCAA tourney

so of the 11 teams in next year 8 made a bowl or NCAA tourney. PLUS SMU who will be a top 10 team likely next year. That's not just a 2 or 3 team conference.

Half of the FBS makes a bowl game. You can have a losing record and make a bowl game (it's happened twice recently), and since when has the NIT been an accomplishment? Being the first team left out is still being left out.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:
GreatDaneAttorney wrote:The point is that there are some fan bases in the AAC that are claiming these accomplishments, when it's really been the Louisville, UConn, and UCF trains that are keeping that league going. The other fan bases are claiming those championships, thinking it will immediately vault their programs to elite levels. However, college athletics don't work that way. Building up programs takes time, and many programs are ultimately never successful.

Long story short, ECU fans think their league association will automatically equate to CFB playoff appearances and sudden success on the hard court, and I don't think that's a realistic expectation.

Houston- made bowl game

now the incoming teams:
ECU- made bowl game
Tulane- made bowl game
Tulsa- made NCAA tourney

so of the 11 teams in next year 8 made a bowl or NCAA tourney. PLUS SMU who will be a top 10 team likely next year. That's not just a 2 or 3 team conference.

Half of the FBS makes a bowl game. You can have a losing record and make a bowl game (it's happened twice recently), and since when has the NIT been an accomplishment? Being the first team left out is still being left out.

ok, well what about being a lock to be a preseason top 15 team and ahead of any Big East team.

Also, I'd rather have what SMU had this year than what Xavier had this year.
stever20

Postby Bigfishy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:17 pm

You know as well as I know, it all depends on who you listed too. I'm listening to Seth.

Villanova #4
SMU #15
Bigfishy

Postby gosports1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 pm

stever20 wrote:

How is that any different than Butler or Seton Hall fans here? Saw a lot of Seton Hall fans on here this winter taking pride in how good Creighton and Nova were.

Were those Bulter and Seton Hall fans posting smack on other conferences boards talking about how great Creighton and Villanova were? I dont sem to recall seeing that.
gosports1

Postby gosports1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:49 pm

stever20 wrote:

Houston- made bowl game

now the incoming teams:
ECU- made bowl game
Tulane- made bowl game
Tulsa- made NCAA tourney

is making a bowl game really that much of an accomplishment. More teams do make one than dont
gosports1

Postby Burrito » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:09 pm

What Larry Brown has done at SMU in a couple of years is impressive. But he's 73 years old now. If a 2015 recruit commits to SMU this summer, Brown will be 75 when that kid steps on campus. It will be interesting to see what happens there.
Burrito

Postby Bearcat_Bounce » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 am

That board has become unbearable and now is a great source of comedy for us. I don't even see many Cincinnati fans on the board anymore, it is mostly ECU fans bragging about how great AAC basketball is when they've yet to even play in the league. Also there is a lot of AAC recruiting discussions which consists of ECU fans explaining how great it is they landed a kid that had an offer from Maryland and Wake Forest. AAC 4 LIFE!!!!!!
Bearcat_Bounce

Postby robinreed » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Just a few comments on the BE and AAC .
Contract and income for this year:
BE = Fox - 40mm per year plus NCAA bb amount of 5x$250.00 or $41.25 mm total

AAC = ESPN - 22mm per year plus 17.4 mm from new BCS agreement plus 17 mm for being in access bowl. Bb amount of 11x$250 or $59.15 mm total

The AAC amount will remain the same next year except that the AAC may not get into the access bowl which would mean about $17 mm less or $42.15 mm. I frankly do not see the AAC chance of getting into the access bowl as being much over 50% without Louisville however no one really can predict this.

In other words the disparity between the two conferences is not great in cash however it is great in viewership. I know I have written about this issue before on this site but I will say again the biggest problem we face in the BE is VIEWERSHIP not money. Our success or lack of same will be due to viewership not cash. We can prosper and become truly major or decline into near nothingness based on viewership alone. Does anyone really think the glory days of the old BE were based on our attendance? It was based on viewership with ESPN when everyone knew how great the BE was. My primary allegiance is to XU but I also have a MA from Cincinnati and I remember well the years of 9 to 11 bids for the BE. Cincinnati did not outdraw XU in attendance actually the opposite was true and X usually got a NCAA bid (actually more often than UC) but people watched the BE on TV. We need to recreate that situation and do so asap.
robinreed

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic