Rumors of UConn to Big East surface - source unposted

Postby robinreed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:49 am

Last night I visited the Conference Realignment blog and found this interesting if unfounded and certainly unproved thread on a possible UConn move to the Big East.

Uconn approached [new] Big East as basketball member
While there has been a lot of peculation surrounding Mr. Swofford's comments regarding expansion as more likely coming about from movement from a G5 to a P5 conference, I found it interesting that Uconn has approached the new Big East about possible membership, but apparently has been rebuffed.

I wonder if these are related. If the conventiinal wisdom is to be believed, and Cincy is one of those G5 schools moving, might we see Uconn covering its bases?

This information is straight from one of the most respected (and knowledgeable) Uconn insiders. It's difficult for me to get a handle on all the possible variables and changes that might come about, but at least from the Uconn guy, something is stirring.

Edit to add: I can provide the link/proof of the Uconn insider's statements, but don't want to look like advertising for another website.
This is followed by seven pages of comments. I have proposed UConn being added to our conference before however like most internet blogs it is impossible for me to know what is fact or what is imagination on the UConn to BE thread.
robinreed

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rumors of UConn to Big East surface - source unposted

Postby robinreed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:27 am

The following are some of the comments from the UConn thread. For those who do not wish to go there.

"hahaha the idea that fox would let the big east say no to uconn is laughable, there is no better reasonable add that could boost the big east like uconn. uconn with football and many other programs that would need a home would be more likely to reject the big east; however, i wouldn't be surprised to hear the two sides are talking".

" UConn can thrive in hoops in any conference. If they were seriously thinking about trying to get into the new Big East (and remember, we have no proof that there was anything serious going on), then presumably they either had another conference arrangement for football (maybe the MAC, if UMass was still there?) or would have played football as an indy".

" I'm not inclined to believe that anybody who has a website discussing matters like these is a true "insider". You don't get access to inside information by blabbing it to the world. You may get used/manipulated to float trial balloons by people who are actual insiders. And some of those balloons may eventually get traction. Be skeptical of anything you hear on the internet".

Our own Stever posts the following:
"To me the interesting thing with UConn is that would be a public school. That would then allow the Big East to grab the best property out there as well in VCU. Big East with VCU and UConn right now is very formidable. You have 3 top 15-20 schools- and then Georgetown, Xavier, and Creighton(coming off a big win last night vs Oklahoma). That's a pretty damn good top 5-6 right there(even before you get to teams like defending champ Providence or St John's or Marquette(with the #5 recruiting class last year). Getting Uconn and VCU would help the upper tier which is the place where the Big East is lacking right now".

"100% agree... UConn is definitley in a tough spot... Whatever number of programs the B12 decides to bring abroad they all be coming from the AAC.

IDK, perhaps the UConn to the new big east rumor could very well be true... Timing of it (rumor) seems smoke level high enough".

" I'm opposite - I don't buy that UConn would be exploring to join the Big East because, whether they like it or not, they *have* to make decisions based on FBS football (especially when they were presumed the next in line for that last spot in the ACC, so the P5 isn't a pipe dream for them but a legitimate goal). Going independent would be throwing football under the bus, and UConn simply can't do that right now".

Yes I know, quotation marks are unnecessary.
robinreed

Postby stever20 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 am

for the record the guy who posted is this bizarre UConn troll quite frankly.

it would be interesting- but just do not see any validity to it at all...
stever20

Postby bmorex » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 am

If this is true (and I 100% do not believe it), the Big East would be stupid to to say no to UConn.
bmorex

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 am

I understand that I am in the minority with my opinion on the subject, but I think this is more realistic than most people realize. UCONN, while still being a basketball school, wants to continue building up its football program. Who's to say that they can't do that in the MAC (or C-USA)? The AAC was really a dreadful conference this year. With the exception of ECU, none of the schools won OOC games against P5 opponents. Despite the intention of Mike Aresco, and his marketing campaign #AmericanRising, the AAC is still no better than a G5 conference (some would argue below the C-USA or MAC). Perception says that, its TV contract says that, and the prestige and history of its football schools say that. Losing Louisville (and replacing it with Tulsa, East Carolina and Tulane in all sports) has been a huge downgrade in football and basketball. In today's world, you are as strong as the conference you belong to (and the schools you are associated with).

If UCONN moved football to the MAC (or C-USA), it would allow its football program to develop more over time (with other Eastern and Midwestern schools). UCONN has nothing, absolutely nothing, in common with schools like SMU, UCF, Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina and Houston. Arguments can be made that they have similarities with Memphis (Basketball), Cincinnati and USF (prior conference affiliation and similar strength in football). At the core, however, UCONN has no business being with those schools.

If UCONN decided to be all-sports (minus football) with the Big East, they would able to bring their baseball, cross country, tennis, soccer and track and field programs to schools in closer geography and location (it's insane to be sending your soccer teams to Tulsa, Oklahoma, for conference match-ups). The basketball addition would be a no-brainer, as they would rejoin Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence and St. Johns (5 programs with tremendous history in competition).

Fox would be happy. The Big East would be happy. UCONN would be happy. To me, it's a no brainer.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24839675/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments

CBS story on the possibility of UAB dropping football in 2016. They are losing $17.5 million per year in athletics. The costs are simply getting to high for numerous G5 schools.

UCONN is losing $18.9 million per year. Houston is losing $26.8 million per year ( :o ). UCF is losing $23.6 million ( :shock: ). Cincinnati is losing $19.4 million. Memphis is losing $19.1 million. USF is losing $17.3 million. East Carolina is losing $15.8 million. Not looking good for the G5, especially the American Conference - which is branding itself as a Power Conference.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Boyee » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:51 pm

There is no guarantee the ACC will add a 16th school. If they were going to they likely would have done it already.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Postby Boyee » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:01 am

The Big 12 Conference really made a big mistake by not adding Louisville and Cincinnati when they added West Virginia.
Boyee, DePaul University Alumnus
Boyee

Return to Off Topic