Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

Postby SpiderFan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am

That shouldn't matter to Fox, ratings is what matters to Fox, they'd just assume everyone who went to the game stayed home and watched on TV. The good thing that attendance shows is relative support for a program. Like I said on the A10 board you also need to provide arena size. Saying a school bring in over 12K is great--but not if your home arena is Cowboys stadium and seats 90K. That being said, Dayton does do really well in attendance. But I think you'll see VCU sells out their arena as well, but it has much less capacity than Dayton's so they can't average more. Richmond's arena is being renovated this offseason and through next year to increase fan experience and common areas, add video boards and lighting, bring seating closer to the court, and a bunch of other renovations to modernize to the tune of $15M. That will also bring the seating down about 1500 approx 7 to 7.5K as opposed to 9K. It's hard for us to sell out a lot. How does Dayton's enrollment compare to their attendance. We only have 3K undergrad so we achieve just about 200% our student body. UD has about 8K undergrad? So you're at about 150% or so.

My only point being that you can spin stats any way you want.
SpiderFan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 am

SpiderFan wrote:That shouldn't matter to Fox, ratings is what matters to Fox, they'd just assume everyone who went to the game stayed home and watched on TV. The good thing that attendance shows is relative support for a program. Like I said on the A10 board you also need to provide arena size. Saying a school bring in over 12K is great--but not if your home arena is Cowboys stadium and seats 90K. That being said, Dayton does do really well in attendance. But I think you'll see VCU sells out their arena as well, but it has much less capacity than Dayton's so they can't average more. Richmond's arena is being renovated this offseason and through next year to increase fan experience and common areas, add video boards and lighting, bring seating closer to the court, and a bunch of other renovations to modernize to the tune of $15M. That will also bring the seating down about 1500 approx 7 to 7.5K as opposed to 9K. It's had for us to sell out a lot. How does Dayton's enrollment compare to their attendance. We only have 3K undergrad so we achieve just about 200% our student body. UD has about 8K undergrad? So you're at about 150% or so.

My only point being that you can spin stats any way you want.

Ratings doesn't mean that much anymore for one the difference in college basketball ratings from team to team is small and outside of a few teams... (Duke, Kentucky, Indiana etc...) not a major factor. The big issue is cable bundling cable companies make more money on people who don't watch the program then that do. They just need enough people watching to keep it on the air and allow them to force it onto everyone's cable packages.

Attendance is nice and lets face it as you said we can face it any way. However if it does come down to Dayton vs. Richmond for the last spot it will come down to three things. (1) Richmond's location in the east, (2)Dayton being larger and Catholic, and (3) a toss up between getting a new market in Richmond vs. strengthening Fox's strangle hold in Ohio where it can bundle its new channels with powerful Fox Ohio. There are a few other potential factors such as attendance and non-revs that may come into play as tie breakers. That said if either school is chosen it will because of the three above mentioned things.
BillEsq

Postby SpiderFan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Exactly right on the ratings and the 3 points. I would also add one more that may be minor (or major but since I'm not in those meetings) and that would be a combination of other league member support and/or opposition.
SpiderFan

Postby yorost » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Is Dayton being Catholic supposed to be an advantage or a disadvantage for them? I don't think that' would be a factor, not unless they want to make a point of pushing against the Catholic label. They've made it clear this isn't about religious affiliation.
yorost

Postby Moliva » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:10 pm

yorost wrote:Is Dayton being Catholic supposed to be an advantage or a disadvantage for them? I don't think that' would be a factor, not unless they want to make a point of pushing against the Catholic label. They've made it clear this isn't about religious affiliation.

I don't see the Catholic deal being very impactful either way, unless Butler doesn't want to be the only Non-Catholic in the room.
Moliva

Postby X-man » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:49 am

JohnT wrote:My info has checked out to this point going all the way back to this board starting. For those panicking, I'm still hearing that SLU and Dayton or Richmond will be added in the next couple of months for 2014.

If SLU is one, the other won't be Dayton. Geographical balance requires that the other school be from the east. Welcome Richmond!
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby cm5yz6 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

X-man wrote:
If SLU is one, the other won't be Dayton. Geographical balance requires that the other school be from the east. Welcome Richmond!

We are... U-R!!! hahah
cm5yz6

Postby PMThor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:25 pm

X-man wrote:
JohnT wrote:My info has checked out to this point going all the way back to this board starting. For those panicking, I'm still hearing that SLU and Dayton or Richmond will be added in the next couple of months for 2014.

With that being said, it doesn't have to be Richmond though. It could be a plethora of East Coast teams instead. Interesting times...
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Postby yorost » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 pm

PMThor wrote:
X-man wrote:

With that being said, it doesn't have to be Richmond though. It could be a plethora of East Coast teams instead. Interesting times...

A plethora? Only if we don't care about quality. Very few viable options that have quality basketball are left.
yorost

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board