BillikensWin

Re: Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby xu95 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 pm

BillEsq wrote:
xu95 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:I got to agree. Its Slu 90% Dayton 50% Richmond 50% VCU 5% and ND 5%. The only intriguing school is the ND illusion. if ND is in the picture all others take there places. If ND is out (likely) then its really coming down to Dayton v. Richmond. While its possible that Slu isn't in all rumors/ evidence seems to indicate that if there is an expansion they are in.

I personally think Dayton is in but wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond in. After those two you have VCU and ND as the only two other viable options for the BE. no other East coast school comes close (and no ND is not East Coast... its just ND)

Just having a little fun with you here.........

Haven't you told me at least a dozen times that I was wrong when I said 11 and 12 haven't been decided yet? Now it seems you are agreeing. :D

;) and now its a dozen and one times.... just because i don't know doesn't mean they don't know.

Touche
xu95

Postby guest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 pm

It's interesting to see all of the speculation on these boards. Anyone saying VCU is not salivating for the day they can start football is not paying attention. They are watching ODU, their rival that just moved up, Liberty is pushing hard to move up to the FBS level and JMU has the same goal. VCU will not allow itself to drop behind those schools. My guess is they are about 10 years away from pushing for football.

Postby augkash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 am

According to ESPN the Dayton market was 6 with a 24 rating watching the finals
augkash

Postby smitty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 am

The Dayton television market is the eighth-best in the country when it comes to college basketball, according to research analyzed by ESPN. ESPN examined the 56 metered markets that carried college basketball games in 2011-12, and ranked them by ratings.

The Flyers had 27 games on television in 2011-12. At least 28 will be broadcast this season. The University has one of the strongest and most long-lasting local television packages in the nation. CBS affiliate WHIO-TV has carried Dayton games since 1952. It is the number one CBS affiliate for total all-day viewership, and yet WHIO will pre-empt network programming more than 10 times a year to carry Flyer basketball games.

Between the local package on WHIO, regional exposure on Fox Sports Ohio and Time Warner Cable, and national games on ESPN’s various platforms, CBS College Sports and NBC College Sports, UD airs between 25 and 30 games a year on one of the strongest and most unique television plans in college basketball.

Community support for University of Dayton basketball is a nationally-recognized phenomenon. UD Arena has been among the national leaders in attendance since it opened in the 1969-70 season. Last year, the Arena was 27th with an average of 12,567 fans a game. Dayton is the annual home of the NCAA’s First Four, and this year’s games are already sold out.
smitty

Postby xu95 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 am

augkash wrote:According to ESPN the Dayton market was 6 with a 24 rating watching the finals

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think this is one of the things that hurts Dayton. People in Dayton watch a lot of college basketball. I won't deny that. However, the Dayton Flyers are not the team they watch because, not counting the local channel 7 feed, Dayton isn't on TV a lot.

Therefore, I think it is safe to assume that Fox will get a lot of people in the Dayton market to watch the games whether they are in the league or not, so why not try to bring in a market that more than likely won't watch if they aren't in the league?
xu95

Postby Bostonspider » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 am

Rendering of the current Robins Center Renovation at the University of Richmond. Renovation to be finished by next season

Richmond '99
Bostonspider

Postby BigEastFan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

xu95 wrote:
augkash wrote:According to ESPN the Dayton market was 6 with a 24 rating watching the finals

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think this is one of the things that hurts Dayton. People in Dayton watch a lot of college basketball. I won't deny that. However, the Dayton Flyers are not the team they watch because, not counting the local channel 7 feed, Dayton isn't on TV a lot.

Therefore, I think it is safe to assume that Fox will get a lot of people in the Dayton market to watch the games whether they are in the league or not, so why not try to bring in a market that more than likely won't watch if they aren't in the league?

If we decide to expand, I trust our leaders will pick the best teams available.

That said, I think you are looking at this wrong. If Dayton was in the Big East and playing a team on the road, this would indicate a large percentage of people in the Dayton market will tune in, thus making Fox happy. People in Dayton love college basketball no doubt. They love their Dayton Flyers even more and if they were on national TV (as they have been with ESPN), the ratings will be high.

I'm not saying that is reason enough to add them, just that I disagree with your assessment that it will hurt Dayton.
BigEastFan

Postby xu95 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:36 am

BigEastFan wrote: If Dayton was in the Big East and playing a team on the road, this would indicate a large percentage of people in the Dayton market will tune in, thus making Fox happy. People in Dayton love college basketball no doubt. They love their Dayton Flyers even more and if they were on national TV (as they have been with ESPN), the ratings will be high.

I think you are looking at it wrong, but who knows. The stats show that people in Dayton watch college basketball. I am not disputing that. Dayton was on the ESPN networks 4 times, they were on a combination of CBS Sports, NBC Sports, and Fox Sports Ohio a total of 7 times. That counts both home and away games. Only a third of their games are on "national" tv. That means they are watching a boatload of basketball games on TV that do not include the Dayton Flyers. I don't think that is bad. I think that might just be held against them if Fox is really looking for a new market. Do they think they need to actually show Dayton Flyer games to get people in Dayton to watch their channel? Who knows, but I think the stats say no.
xu95

Postby DumpsterFireA10 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 am

xu95 wrote:
BigEastFan wrote: If Dayton was in the Big East and playing a team on the road, this would indicate a large percentage of people in the Dayton market will tune in, thus making Fox happy. People in Dayton love college basketball no doubt. They love their Dayton Flyers even more and if they were on national TV (as they have been with ESPN), the ratings will be high.

I think you are looking at it wrong, but who knows. The stats show that people in Dayton watch college basketball. I am not disputing that. Dayton was on the ESPN networks 4 times, they were on a combination of CBS Sports, NBC Sports, and Fox Sports Ohio a total of 7 times. That counts both home and away games. Only a third of their games are on "national" tv. That means they are watching a boatload of basketball games on TV that do not include the Dayton Flyers. I don't think that is bad. I think that might just be held against them if Fox is really looking for a new market. Do they think they need to actually show Dayton Flyer games to get people in Dayton to watch their channel? Who knows, but I think the stats say no.

The larger question will be next season with the "losers" in the realignment. They'll watch anything, but will they watch the "conference" they're in?
Big East Basketball is what it's always been. Great competition nightly.
If the Atlantic 10 didn't suck, why is everyone looking for the exits?
There is a reason why the A-10 left a team in the Central Time Zone...SLU, your move.
DumpsterFireA10

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board