Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

Postby yorost » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:31 pm

ChicagoX wrote:I don't think any of the schools being considered for the final two spots have "dominating" resumes, but if the conference has to expand to 12, it does seem like SLU and VCU would be the two teams that would be able to compete well and not water down the conference too much.

I'm of the mentality that keeping it at 10 teams is the best option, but it appears inevitable that a couple teams are going to be added at some point in the relatively near future. From what I've read, FOX is the primary driver making that push for additional expansion.

It will be interesting to see what happens between now and the end of June. If nothing happens, hopefully that means it will remain at 10 for at least two or three years. That would certainly allow for a longer and more thorough vetting process prior to expansion.

I didn't mean to imply anyone has a better resume than VCU, they don't, in my opinion. It's that the comparisons begin splitting hairs so you can justify taking the program that isn't judged the best looking. I agree with you, I see no rush to 10 other than to slow down other conferences and any possible financial or statistical benefit 12 might provide. 10, right now, looks like the peak in overall quality we're going to get, given the candidates. If we do go to 12 soon, I hope VCU is included.

Edrick wrote:Since the beginning of time, Saint Louis University has played in 14 NCAA Tournament games

If you want to go way deep, you have to recognize St. Louis in the NIT. The gap between the NCAA and NIT wasn't always so great as it is today.
yorost

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Edrick wrote:
BillikensWin wrote:What we know is that the tournament is where the decisions are made. Butler has had 2 outstanding tournament runs.

I'll leave it at that.

Since the beginning of time, Saint Louis University has played in 14 NCAA Tournament games

Since 2010, Butler has played 14 NCAA Tournament games. (Are you even running Office 2010?)

You may as well juxtapose the Lakers.

Ed, Win was agreeing with you. He was admitting that Buter is in because of its recent success. less than 10 schools have in the past decade done as well as Butler.

Oh and I do have office 10.

And the Butler Buldogs are not the LA Lakers, Lets face it before 1997 Butler was far from anything special and from 1950-1990 outside of one magical year in '62 Butlers history is pretty pathetic. Recent Success under stevens has truly transformed that team from a Horizon league one and done power to a national basketball force. Nothing to be ashamed of for sure.

Anyways Go do Dogs, Go Bills for for Ed's sake go Saluki's
BillEsq

Postby BillikensWin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:38 pm

That is what I was doing. No sense arguing it. Butler, because of their great work in the Tournament, was more desirable.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby ChicagoX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm

BillEsq wrote:Recent Success under stevens has truly transformed that team from a Horizon league one and done power to a national basketball force. Nothing to be ashamed of for sure.

People seem to forget that Butler made some noise multiple times in recent NCAA Tournaments prior to Brad Stevens. Todd Lickliter did a pretty decent job of laying the foundation for Stevens, taking Butler to two Sweet 16s in the six years he was the head coach. Even Thad Matta took them to the 2nd round prior to leaving for Xavier in 2001.
ChicagoX

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:14 pm

ChicagoX wrote:
BillEsq wrote:Recent Success under stevens has truly transformed that team from a Horizon league one and done power to a national basketball force. Nothing to be ashamed of for sure.

People seem to forget that Butler made some noise multiple times in recent NCAA Tournaments prior to Brad Stevens. Todd Lickliter did a pretty decent job of laying the foundation for Stevens, taking Butler to two Sweet 16s in the six years he was the head coach. Even Thad Matta took them to the 2nd round prior to leaving for Xavier in 2001.

This is true... as I pointed out since 1997 all those guys built a good foundation and Stevens picked up and led them to the promised land. Listen Butler is a good school, in a tier 1 city, in a basketball crazed state. Butler might not challenge for a national title every year but its future should be more like the past 10 years than the proceeding 50 and should be an excellent addition to the BE. I wasn't trying to dog Butler (no pun intended) just sayin they aren't some super basketball power with long standing success like the lakers (why a any NCAA team would be compared to the Lakers I don't know). But if you are going to compare NCAA teams to NBA powerhouse programs stick with Kentucky's and the like.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 pm

BillikensWin wrote:That is what I was doing. No sense arguing it. Butler, because of their great work in the Tournament, was more desirable.

I figured it. I think Ed must have just thought you were me and just figured blasting the Bilikens was the correct response. I think we all know that Butler's past 10 or so years is what has gotten them in. Its obvious Slu can't compare to that, but neither can any other team in the 90 plus percent of the teams in the NCAA. So i don't think that alone holds SLU back.
BillEsq

Postby xu95 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

JohnT wrote:My info has checked out to this point going all the way back to this board starting. For those panicking, I'm still hearing that SLU and Dayton or Richmond will be added in the next couple of months for 2014.

Hold on. I'm calling foul on this. For a while you have been harping that it is absolutely St. Louis and Dayton (even though numerous people have said nothing has been decided yet) and now you are saying it is absolutely St. Louis and Dayton (or Richmond).

Who will it be next week?
xu95

Postby xu95 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 am

BillEsq wrote:I got to agree. Its Slu 90% Dayton 50% Richmond 50% VCU 5% and ND 5%. The only intriguing school is the ND illusion. if ND is in the picture all others take there places. If ND is out (likely) then its really coming down to Dayton v. Richmond. While its possible that Slu isn't in all rumors/ evidence seems to indicate that if there is an expansion they are in.

I personally think Dayton is in but wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond in. After those two you have VCU and ND as the only two other viable options for the BE. no other East coast school comes close (and no ND is not East Coast... its just ND)

Just having a little fun with you here.........

Haven't you told me at least a dozen times that I was wrong when I said 11 and 12 haven't been decided yet? Now it seems you are agreeing. :D
xu95

Postby BillEsq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am

xu95 wrote:
BillEsq wrote:I got to agree. Its Slu 90% Dayton 50% Richmond 50% VCU 5% and ND 5%. The only intriguing school is the ND illusion. if ND is in the picture all others take there places. If ND is out (likely) then its really coming down to Dayton v. Richmond. While its possible that Slu isn't in all rumors/ evidence seems to indicate that if there is an expansion they are in.

I personally think Dayton is in but wouldn't be surprised to see Richmond in. After those two you have VCU and ND as the only two other viable options for the BE. no other East coast school comes close (and no ND is not East Coast... its just ND)

Haven't you told me at least a dozen times that I was wrong when I said 11 and 12 haven't been decided yet? Now it seems you are agreeing. :D

Nah i still think the decision has been made. The percentages are just my opinion as to who is most likely the schools already chosen. The 4 potential schools are pretty even and non would hurt the league. You figure St. Louis has the advantage due to market and VCU is probably not in due to being public, and its really a 50/50 pick for Richmond Dayton. But while i don't know who is in the BE probably has already decided who is. You just don't make 400 million dollar decisions without a solid business plan as to where you are going. you go non-revs, media deals- games to fill at MSG. I could go on and on.

The only school who can upset this is ND, and let's face it ND is a unique situation. If the ND told them they would join if the league dropped Butler/Creighton/Xavier the BE would drop one of those three in a heartbeat. Love them or hate them the world just moves differently for the Golden Dome.

So decisions are made... unless ND is available in which case, a prearranged switch is made.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

xu95 wrote:

;) and now its a dozen and one times.... just because i don't know doesn't mean they don't know.
BillEsq

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board