Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

The home for Big East hoops

Postby JohnT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 am

My info has checked out to this point going all the way back to this board starting. For those panicking, I'm still hearing that SLU and Dayton or Richmond will be added in the next couple of months for 2014.
JohnT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Still hearing SLU and Dayton or Richmond in 2014

Postby SpiderFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 am

I'm sure the info/discussion/rumors will pick up as soon as the Final 4 ends.
SpiderFan

Postby Edrick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 am

If there is expansion (and i doubt it this year), there's no reason to think any discussion would be anytime soon.

Next winter is the earliest I could see the issue come up
Edrick

Postby Moliva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

Edrick wrote:If there is expansion (and i doubt it this year), there's no reason to think any discussion would be anytime soon.

You could be right but the A-10 has an additional Exit Fee if less than a year's notice of departure is provided.

I would agree that if the intent is to add 2 schools for the 2014-15 season, there might be movement prior to 6/30/13. It would seem that waiting until Winter to announce moves for 2014-15 would be a needless waste of $2M.
Moliva

Postby Edrick » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am

I think you are looking at a 10 team league a couple of years. All three teams have questions that will need answering and time will answer some. Its possible that by the time expansion happens, other programs will have emerged. This is an opportunity for all schools, but those in particular, to perform to be noticed
Edrick

Postby yorost » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 am

Moliva wrote:
Edrick wrote:If there is expansion (and i doubt it this year), there's no reason to think any discussion would be anytime soon.

You could be right but the A-10 has an additional Exit Fee if less than a year's notice of departure is provided.

I would agree that if the intent is to add 2 schools for the 2014-15 season, there might be movement prior to 6/30/13. It would seem that waiting until Winter to announce moves for 2014-15 would be a needless waste of $2M.

While that sounds true, who knows. Maybe they won't cover future exit fees so don't care. Maybe they have some decision regarding future teams they think worth hedging $2 million on.

It it's purely throwing money out the window, it doesn't make sense, so why assume any move is purely throwing money out the window? Whatever they do there is probably either a financial reason or some other benefit they feel worth buying.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 am

The BE has to make some sort of decision concerning its non rev sports pretty soon. Either adding in associate members or by finding homes for their teams in other leagues. How they approach that issue will be a good indication as to what they are thinking.

If they plan on waiting until 2014 to expand it will be stupid to wait until past the June 30 deadline.

If they are waiting a few years to expand... while being financially illogical their are under obviously no timeline to add teams. However what are they waiting for? ND? seems silly wait for a team that might never join but then again ND is the golden goose of college sports so... I would be resigned to accept that this is possible.

Regardless of whatever the expansion plans are the BE needs to start making scheduling and associate membership decisions soon. These decisions will potentially shed light on their long term thinking. on a side note if they are seriously entertaining the thought of getting ND they will need to add a lot of non-rev sports to make it worth ND's while.
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 am

BillEsq wrote:The BE has to make some sort of decision concerning its non rev sports pretty soon. Either adding in associate members or by finding homes for their teams in other leagues. How they approach that issue will be a good indication as to what they are thinking.

If they plan on waiting until 2014 to expand it will be stupid to wait until past the June 30 deadline.

If they are waiting a few years to expand... while being financially illogical their are under obviously no timeline to add teams. However what are they waiting for? ND? seems silly wait for a team that might never join but then again ND is the golden goose of college sports so... I would be resigned to accept that this is possible.

Regardless of whatever the expansion plans are the BE needs to start making scheduling and associate membership decisions soon. These decisions will potentially shed light on their long term thinking. on a side note if they are seriously entertaining the thought of getting ND they will need to add a lot of non-rev sports to make it worth ND's while.

I wish they would just give up on Notre Dame. The only scenario in which it becomes eve a possibility is if the ACC implodes to the point that even adding UCONN, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Temple wouldn't save them. In my opinion these schools would be desperate to get into the ACC even without North Carolina, Miami, Virginia, and Florida State. That conference would still most likely be more attractive than the New Big East for Notre Dame. We need to move on and either say we're staying at 10 or pick 11 and 12.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby UD_Earl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 am

Does game day experience and attendance mean anything to who will be added? UD has led the A-10 in attendance since joining the league in the mid 90's. UD has first rate facilities and over 10,000 season ticket holders. I wonder if any of this will play into Fox's decision on who to add. In terms of geography, either Xavier or Dayton could be one of the "eastern" schools.

School 2012 Avg 2011 Avg 2010 Avg
UD 12,154 12,567 12,259
Richmond 5,660 5,959 4,629
VCU 7,622 6,645 6,000
UD_Earl

Postby JohnT » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am

UD_Earl wrote:Does game day experience and attendance mean anything to who will be added? UD has led the A-10 in attendance since joining the league in the mid 90's. UD has first rate facilities and over 10,000 season ticket holders. I wonder if any of this will play into Fox's decision on who to add. In terms of geography, either Xavier or Dayton could be one of the "eastern" schools.

School 2012 Avg 2011 Avg 2010 Avg
UD 12,154 12,567 12,259
Richmond 5,660 5,959 4,629
VCU 7,622 6,645 6,000

Attendance and support matter to the presidents I'm sure but probably not as much to Fox.
JohnT

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board