VCU chances of getting in

The home for Big East hoops

Re: VCU chances of getting in

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 am

slu is going to end up getting picked over vcu, because if its a 50/50 sort of deal the fact slu bridges creighton to butler/marquette/depaul can't be over looked. slu makes the western logistics much easier to work through
Edrick

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Pretzel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Edrick wrote:slu is going to end up getting picked over vcu, because if its a 50/50 sort of deal the fact slu bridges creighton to butler/marquette/depaul can't be over looked. slu makes the western logistics much easier to work through

VCU is a better fit in regards to an even geographic split of 6 East and 6 West schools. Creighton and SLU are the geographic anomalies. It makes more since to pick SLU over Creighton if geography was of high importance.

East- VCU, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova

West- Xavier, Butler, Creighton/SLU, Dayton, Marquette, DePaul

Pretzel

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Creighton is getting in, so its just a waste of time considering scenarios like that.

That said, what is a little interesting is that if they are really getting infatuated with the idea of VCU and given the logistical reasons for SLU, Dayton sort of gets squeezed.
Edrick

Postby Vill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 pm

I guess I don't understand all the worries about travel. Does Omaha have an airport? If they do, it's not much different flying to Creighton or to VCU.
Vill

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Because women's swimming and men's tennis aren't flying
Edrick

Postby Vill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Edrick wrote:Because women's swimming and men's tennis aren't flying

Really? They have to take buses or trains everywhere?
Vill

Postby Edrick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Hell, I ran track and we took vans from Indianapolis to the Alabama Relays (for example)

Its not ALL, but non-revenue sports mostly drive. That's the case at Nebraska or NJIT.
Edrick

Postby PorkTornado » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Vill wrote:I guess I don't understand all the worries about travel. Does Omaha have an airport? If they do, it's not much different flying to Creighton or to VCU.

Omaha's airport is a five to ten minute drive to the CenturyLink Center, hotels and Creighton's campus.
PorkTornado

Postby ljay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Vill wrote:I guess I don't understand all the worries about travel. Does Omaha have an airport? If they do, it's not much different flying to Creighton or to VCU.

I was in KC for business this week and the sports talk radio was talking about Kansas and K-State and their issues with getting to Morgantown to play West Virginia. The best option is to fly into Pittsburg and then bus 1 1/2 to two hours to Morgantown.

For Creighton visits, teams fly to Chicago (although there are direct flights from some eastern cities) then a one hour+ plane hop to Omaha and then a five minute drive from the airport to the Century Link Center for basketball, TD Ameritrade Park for baseball, Morrison Stadium for soccer, Ryan Athletic Center for women's basketball, etc., etc. It's all literally five minutes from the airport with the venues all less than a mile apart.

Here is the baseball stadium and basketball arena:

The Creighton campus starts to the right of the picture.
ljay

Postby Iceman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:00 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:
Iceman wrote:The only thing SLU is better than VCU at is being Catholic, which I'm sure will come in handy on the hardwood.

So that is supposed to be stretching your mind? Ok, so VCU ended its "commuter" status in 2011. Congrats. And Definitely congrats on your 2011 run, I was cheering my heart out for you, but I have to go with the Jebbies.

If you stretched your mind past your recent success you would agree SLU is the preferred BASKETBALL (and soccer) pedigree, hands down.

Nice comeback. How long did it take your mom to help you write it? I didn't attend VCU. I'm a Texas grad. But, I'm smart enough to know how to use deductive reasoning and logic. VCU is not, and has never been, a "commuter school". St. John's is. DePaul is. Also, there isn't a single period of time, beginning now through any point in history you want to include, in which SLU has performed better at basketball. St. Louis has 7 NCAA tournament appearances in 97 years of basketball. NINETY SEVEN. VCU has 6 appearances in the last 18 years alone.

1977 - 2012 (35 years)

20-Win Seasons:
* 17 - VCU
* 9 - SLU

Sub .500 Seasons:
* 7 - VCU
* 16 - SLU

NCAA Appearances:
* 11 - VCU
* 5 - SLU

NCAA Units Earned:
* 21 - VCU
* 8 - SLU

Please tell me again about how if I "stretched my mind past VCU's recent success I will agree SLU is the preferred basketball pedigree."

I can't believe you played the soccer card. That's embarrassing.
Iceman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board