VCU chances of getting in

The home for Big East hoops

Re: VCU chances of getting in

Postby pki1998 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm

nathanhm wrote:Things I care about in new conference members vs things I don't care about:

Winning basketball -- Care!
Commuter school - Don't care!
Public vs Private - Don't care!
Catholic - Don't care!
Committed to the conference - Care!
High academic standards - Don't care! (This isn't the Ivy league)
Basketball first school - Care!

Well said!
pki1998

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm

pki1998 wrote:
nathanhm wrote:Things I care about in new conference members vs things I don't care about:

Catholic - Don't care!

Well said!

You may be in line with public sentiment, but I think the presidents of the universities do care about academic standards.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pretzel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm

admin wrote:You may be in line with public sentiment, but I think the presidents of the universities do care about academic standards.

Which is a non-issue for VCU

VCU- Admissions Data (2011):
Percent of Applicants Admitted: 71%
Average High School GPA: 3.45

Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
SAT Critical Reading: 480 / 600
SAT Math: 490 / 590
SAT Writing: 470 / 590
ACT Composite: 20 / 26
Source
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/college ... ersity.htm

Seton Hall- Admissions Data (2011):
Percent of Applicants Admitted: 85%
Average High School GPA: 3.4
SAT Critical Reading: 470 / 580
SAT Math: 490 / 590
SAT Writing: 490 / 600
ACT Composite: 21 / 26
Sources
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/college ... n-hall.htm
http://www.shu.edu/applying/undergradua ... cklist.cfm
Pretzel

Postby moytoy12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Saint Louis University:

Admissions Data (2011):

Percent of Applicants Admitted: 62%
Average High School GPA: 3.70
SAT Critical Reading: 530 / 660
SAT Math: 548 / 670
ACT Composite: 25 / 30
ACT English: 25 / 31
ACT Math: 24 / 29
moytoy12

Postby moytoy12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Iceman wrote:
whiteandblue77 wrote:
Iceman wrote:The only thing SLU is better than VCU at is being Catholic, which I'm sure will come in handy on the hardwood.

So that is supposed to be stretching your mind? Ok, so VCU ended its "commuter" status in 2011. Congrats. And Definitely congrats on your 2011 run, I was cheering my heart out for you, but I have to go with the Jebbies.

If you stretched your mind past your recent success you would agree SLU is the preferred BASKETBALL (and soccer) pedigree, hands down.

Nice comeback. How long did it take your mom to help you write it? I didn't attend VCU. I'm a Texas grad. But, I'm smart enough to know how to use deductive reasoning and logic. VCU is not, and has never been, a "commuter school". St. John's is. DePaul is. Also, there isn't a single period of time, beginning now through any point in history you want to include, in which SLU has performed better at basketball. St. Louis has 7 NCAA tournament appearances in 97 years of basketball. NINETY SEVEN. VCU has 6 appearances in the last 18 years alone.

1977 - 2012 (35 years)

20-Win Seasons:
* 17 - VCU
* 9 - SLU

Sub .500 Seasons:
* 7 - VCU
* 16 - SLU

NCAA Appearances:
* 11 - VCU
* 5 - SLU

NCAA Units Earned:
* 21 - VCU
* 8 - SLU

Please tell me again about how if I "stretched my mind past VCU's recent success I will agree SLU is the preferred basketball pedigree."

I can't believe you played the soccer card. That's embarrassing.

VCU has certainly performed well in the tourney in the last 5-10 years, but let's not forget that the numbers you're posting are due in part to the easier conference that VCU has been in from 1977-2012.
moytoy12

Postby nathanhm » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

admin wrote:
pki1998 wrote:

Catholic - Don't care!

Well said!

You may be in line with public sentiment, but I think the presidents of the universities do care about academic standards.

What are those standards? We just came from a league with some school with some pretty bad academic standards. And its not like the C7 are all on the same page academically. Its a great line but honestly the Big East wasn't known for being an academic based conference so I fail to see why it matters all of a sudden.
nathanhm

Postby mdfan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 pm

You guys pushing VCU keep forgetting that the world is not static. Think of some girl working at the Macy's perfume counter. One day she wakes up and decides to study nursing at night. She is still the same girl, but when, she graduates, she will not have a dead end job and her earning potential has increased exponentially. SLU has been mediocre for decades but recently made the commitment to become a consistent winner, by hiring a premier coach and building an on campus arena. If they join the league they will have one of the best facilities of any of the schools, and should be able to hire a top flight coach or hotshot assistant to lead the team. In the past they have proved to be able to draw consistently large crowds. Plus, you cannot forget they share the same sensibilities as the member schools, means the idea that VCU is a no brainier pick over SLU is nonsensical. I believe that either SLU or VCU is a worthy candidate, but I will say that SLU can honestly be picked strictly on merits
mdfan

Postby Iceman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 am

moytoy12 wrote:
VCU has certainly performed well in the tourney in the last 5-10 years, but let's not forget that the numbers you're posting are due in part to the easier conference that VCU has been in from 1977-2012.

Playing in a weaker conference gets you to the tournament. It also gets you a high seed and a match up you should lose. It doesn't get you past the 1st round though. VCU has been past the 1st round more in the last 30 years than SLU has in their 97 year history. SLU has been past the 1st round just 5x in 97 years. Their record after getting past the first round? 0-5. VCU's? 4-7.
Iceman

Postby Iceman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:43 am

mdfan wrote:You guys pushing VCU keep forgetting that the world is not static. Think of some girl working at the Macy's perfume counter. One day she wakes up and decides to study nursing at night. She is still the same girl, but when, she graduates, she will not have a dead end job and her earning potential has increased exponentially. SLU has been mediocre for decades but recently made the commitment to become a consistent winner, by hiring a premier coach and building an on campus arena. If they join the league they will have one of the best facilities of any of the schools, and should be able to hire a top flight coach or hotshot assistant to lead the team. In the past they have proved to be able to draw consistently large crowds. Plus, you cannot forget they share the same sensibilities as the member schools, means the idea that VCU is a no brainier pick over SLU is nonsensical. I believe that either SLU or VCU is a worthy candidate, but I will say that SLU can honestly be picked strictly on merits

I'm not sure how I feel about a make up counter analogy on a sports message board (ha ha), but I can get behind your SLU line of thinking. If they're willing to pour money into their program to compete at the highest levels, then I see no reason why they can't, especially in their area. They just don't have a track record to go on. So, you're betting on potential. What you don't want though, and what you can't afford, is to tab another DePaul or Providence for membership. The BE7 have to hit 2-3 home runs and a couple doubles and triples with these selections. They can't strike out.
Iceman

Postby mdfan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 am

Your missing the point, that SLU is gone, replaced by a team that would be in the top half of the new conference
mdfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board