Brad Stevens to UCLA?

The home for Big East hoops

Brad Stevens to UCLA?

Postby admin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Rumors out there now that UCLA wants Stevens. I can't imagine he would take the job.
admin
Site Admin

Brad Stevens to UCLA?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Shaka and VCU

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 pm

Jet915

Re: Brad Stevens to UCLA?

Postby admin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops

Source w direct knowledge says "absolutely not true" UCLA is in negotiations w Brad Stevens. "Highly unlikely" Stevens will be UCLA's coach.
admin
Site Admin

Postby butlerguy03 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 pm

I just don't see it happening. Brad Stevens is a midwestern guy with midwestern roots, there are only a few jobs that are similar that would be better. Duke is one of them...not sure he leaves for anything else.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby jkc_dawgs » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Not happening.
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Postby BillikensWin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Brad Stevens would be insane to go to UCLA. He's got it good in an area that loves him.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Hoops » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 am

From the USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... n/2029461/

Butler coach Brad Stevens declined comment Thursday amid speculation in Los Angeles media that UCLA wants him as its next basketball coach.

When approached at his Hinkle Fieldhouse office, Stevens smiled and mouthed the words "no comment." He said there was no benefit to talking about his "personal life." He spent at least part of the day interviewing outgoing seniors.

Butler president James Danko said Thursday he hopes Stevens stays but gave no other information.

Butler athletic director Barry Collier talked to a reporter about the school's upcoming move to the Big East Conference but would not address Stevens' job status.

VCU coach Skaka Smart took himself out of the UCLA discussion by taking a long-term contract extension Wednesday. As part of the agreement, he did not interview with UCLA. However, it was not clear that Smart was among UCLA's top candidates.

There has also been speculation that Minnesota has Stevens on its list of candidates for a new head coach. But considering he didn't take the Illinois job when it was open last year, it seems unlikely he would be interested in Minnesota.

In New York earlier this month for the announcement Butler would be joining the Big East, president James Danko acknowledged his concern about being able to keep Stevens.

"Certainly Brad is a hot commodity," Danko told USA TODAY Sports then. "We recognize that, but he's an individual with strong values, strong loyalty, family values, connections to Indiana, so there's a lot to compel Brad to stay where he's at. But at the same time, he's young and successful and so he'll always have opportunities. Our hope is that Butler is always able to compete when other suitors come. And they will."

Asked if joining the Big East put him more at ease since it would not be as if Stevens could jump to a significantly better conference now, Danko replied, ""I'm afraid I'm always on the alert." Then he repeated, "I'm afraid I'm always on the alert."
Hoops

Postby Muskie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:55 am

Stevens tweeted that he was looking forward to spring weight lifting starting next week and how much he loved walking through Hinkle in the morning... fwiw.
Muskie

Postby dmac80 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:58 am

It would be a huge loss for Butler obviously and the new conference. I'm not sure I see the allure of UCLA. I know they have the most championships, but only 1 since the mid 70s, and for a supposed "Blue Blood" their attendance is pathetic (6300/gm in 2012..... less than Butler??)...Whats up with that?
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 am

Muskie wrote:Stevens tweeted that he was looking forward to spring weight lifting starting next week and how much he loved walking through Hinkle in the morning... fwiw.

Stevens isn't dumb, and he hardly ever tweets anyway (it's been a surprise that he's tweeted 3 times in the last 2 weeks), so, IMO, this is about as close to him saying, thanks, but no thanks without actually coming out and saying it as you can get. He also has to know how this would be interpreted from both sides, and if he were to go after saying something like that, it wouldn't be well received and while I don't personally know him, I don't get the feeling he'd really want to do that to a place he's spent his entire coaching career.

Obviously, you can never say never until he signs on the dotted line for his raise, but if UCLA was offering him 3 mil a year (that's what it was rumored to be at), Butler shouldn't have any problem matching that money (since it's less than 2 mil in Indianapolis with cost of living factored in).

With Stevens' top assistant leaving earlier this week (which it was always assumed if Brad was leaving that he would be getting the job) and likely taking at least one other assistant on Butler's current staff with him, it will likely be a little while before we get an official announcement that he's staying until they can get the staff figured out since they'll very likely be getting a bump in pay as well.
Irishdawg

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board