Could this Bring ND calling?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Masterofreality » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 pm

From Tuxedo Yoda. This guy is a U of Texas blogger but has deep sources. He is always right.

Could this hasten the demise of the ACC and bring Notre Dame back to the Big East as #12?

Done deal
There are 2 rock-solid, definitive statements I can make. There will be no hedging, no flip-flopping, no back-tracking. There is nothing that can fall through and no last minute shocking developments that will change things. Per my source, these 2 realignment moves have been fully negotiated and they are DONE. They have not only been blessed by the networks, they are the products of the networks, particularly Fox & CBS.

#1 When the 2014 college football season kicks off, UNC will be a member of the SEC.

#2 When the 2014 college football season kicks off, Miami will be a member of the Big 12.

Regarding #1.......I know you want to know who will join with UNC to be team #16 in the SEC. Per my source, this has not been decided.

Regarding #2.......The Big 12's preferred scenario is to only add 2 teams, FSU and Miami, and to stop at 12. Miami is a done deal. FSU is not. I was not told why. I was not told percentages of FSU joining the Big 12. I was not told if FSU is trying to join another conference or if FSU wants to stay in the ACC. I was told that if FSU refuses to join the Big 12, the next most lucrative option proposed by the networks will be carried out. The Big 12 will go to 14 with a 3-team Florida block of Miami, UCF, USF and a 4th team from the current ACC. I was not told the name of the 4th team.

Why are these things happening? This isn't about what fans, ADs or board members want. I was told this is what the networks want.
Masterofreality

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Could this Bring ND calling?

Postby xu95 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 pm

I think it is very doubtful. The ACC has a huge TV contract. It would have to be changed drastically for the Big East to make sense to ND.
xu95

Postby yorost » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm

xu95 wrote:I think it is very doubtful. The ACC has a huge TV contract. It would have to be changed drastically for the Big East to make sense to ND.

To be fair on the contract, the Big East and the ACC don't appear to be too different on a basketball payout from the tv contract. Doesn't mean we're going to be able to lure them, but I think Notre Dame is roughly estimated to get 1/75th of the ACC contract, or 1/5th of the contract split evenly to all basketball schools. Their incentives for the ACC are not on the media deal.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

xu95 wrote:I think it is very doubtful. The ACC has a huge TV contract. It would have to be changed drastically for the Big East to make sense to ND.

Drastic is Miami-NC-FS leaving the Big Ten will likely move. Personally i see the ACC surviving. however if the big FB schools leave look to see ND moving to greener pastures. The BE would be wise to wait and see if ND is available. Neither Richmond or Dayton can offer what ND does. (or anyone else for that matter).

Personally i think the conference should move to 12 but if its wait till ND moves i completely understand. Hell the Big 10 has left spots open for ND for 30 years.
BillEsq

Postby MARQ2010 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:23 pm

My favorite thing about this conference realignment talk is that I no longer have to care...
MARQ2010

Postby Blue boy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 pm

ND could be in Big East but ACC allows for more football bowl tie in which is big reason for there move.
Blue boy

Postby mel ott » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

MARQ2010 wrote:My favorite thing about this conference realignment talk is that I no longer have to care...

+1. Jay fans are all very excited to be joining the Big East. There is a great deal of interest in who will join us, but a greater amount of relief knowing we are already in. Go BIg East!
mel ott

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 am

It's great not to be tied to football. I hope our new league office gets that point across in its marketing. This is the league for fans who love hoops and don't want to be held hostage by bigtime football.
Wizard of Westroads

Return to Big East basketball message board