Big East asking if style of play is"too physical"?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm

From Andy Katz, this really interesting tidbit:

* There's an email circulating amidst the 10 schools discussing how to officiate the new league, and the desired style of play. He quotes from the email, "Should the physical style of play continue to be allowed in the Big East? That is contrary to the direction of the rest of the country and the tournament, and can hurt teams in nonconference play and the NCAAs."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... new-name-2
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East asking if style of play is"too physical"?

Postby sarp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm

I read the link, and there is actually a lot of interesting information about many of the "to do" list things that need to be done. A lot more work than the average fan realizes. I thought it was real interesting about the minor sports that do not have enough schools participating, I wonder if there will be a push to add more sports for some of the schools.
Creighton Fan since the 1980's
sarp

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm

sarp wrote:I read the link, and there is actually a lot of interesting information about many of the "to do" list things that need to be done. A lot more work than the average fan realizes. I thought it was real interesting about the minor sports that do not have enough schools participating, I wonder if there will be a push to add more sports for some of the schools.

As i have been saying there will be movement sooner or later they have to address the non-rev sports, either by adding more teams full/associate or finding new homes.
BillEsq

Postby bmorex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm

I thought the physicality tidbit was one of the most interesting parts of the article.
bmorex

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:03 pm

bmorex wrote:I thought the physicality tidbit was one of the most interesting parts of the article.

LOL on that point no... physicality should be the one thing that stays. :D
BillEsq

Postby DawgLover » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Hadn't really thought about the fact that the level of physicality that characterizes a conference is a thing on which there is a conscious choice to be made. Makes sense, though. Just highlights the fact that, although all conferences play under the same rules, the way those rules are interpreted and enforced varies widely, and players and teams will adapt to how the game is called. I guess that's why it's such a shock for some teams when they get to the NCAA tournament and are exposed to rules interpretation and enforcement significantly different than that under which they played their conference games.
DawgLover

Return to Big East basketball message board